Tide turning: GOP Rank-and file rallying behind Boehner plan

Little-Acorn

Well, I'm less than 100% thrilled with this. A lot of unanswered questions remain:

1.) Does this "plan" include any tax increases?

2.) The first Boehner Plan (aka Cut, Cap and Balance) said that the House and Senate had to approve a Balanced Budget amendment and send it to the states (actual state ratification wan's necessary) to get any increase in the Debt Ceiling. I've heard rumors that the House and Senate only have to VOTE on the BBA in this new plan, they don't have to pass it (2/3 vote is constitutionally required for passage). True/false?

3.) Anyone else want to toss a Q in here?

Getting something passed that will avoid the US's credit rating getting dinged, would be a good thing. But the Republicans have compromised and compromised, just to get here. How much more will they have to give away? And will it be worth that?

-------------------------------

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guyben...op_rank-and-file_rallying_behind_boehner_plan

Tide Turning: GOP Rank-and-file rallying behind Boehner Plan

by Guy Benson
7/27/2011

Following yesterday's revolt, it now appears Speaker Boehner and his GOP leadership team have successfully aligned their caucus behind Boehner's debt plan. National Review is doing some excellent work following the evolving whip count. Editor Rich Lowry summarizes the tone and outcome of this morning's closed-door Republican conference meeting:

One read-out from the meeting this morning from a House leadership aide: “I was amazed. I was very, very worried walking into it and it went better than I expected. The members get that on this vote you either back John Boehner or Barack Obama. It’s not perfect, but if it gets through the House, it gets through the Senate and the president will sign it. And it cuts trillions of dollars and it holds the president accountable. He wants a blank check and it doesn’t give him one.”

This is a very savvy way to frame the vote. It makes it very hard for strong conservatives to beg off. Republicans have generally gotten their way, party leadership is arguing, so now it's time to claim victory over the president and call his veto threat bluff. Reworking the bill to improve its CBO score was also a smart play -- offering cover for wayward members to re-enter the fray.

If Congress passes the Boehner plan, all the pressure will shift to President Obama. He either reverses himself and signs the bill -- a major GOP tactical win, or he follows through with a veto. That act could send the markets into chaos, and even the press couldn't find a way to blame Republicans. Andrew Stiles is reporting that a number of previously "firm no's" are flipping over into the 'yes' column, including Blake Farenthold and Jeff Flake. Stiles says Paul Ryan seems "confident," and Mike Pence "sounds like a yes."

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Werbung:
Wow. That is a sad comment on our times.

Hostage taking played large.

There will be payback at some point, but no knowing when.

Wow. That is a sad comment on our times.

Hostage taking played large.

There will be payback at some point, but no knowing when.

Well, at least SOME Republicans are not fooled by Boehner and the other clowns! Some Republicans are willing to put their neck on the shopping block to tell the truth!

McCain, of all people, finally spoke up:

Washington Post

McCain erupts: Conservatives are lying to America
By Greg Sargent

So the debt limit debate has come to this: John McCain, who you may recall was the GOP’s 2008 standard bearer, is now openly accusing conservatives of actively misleading America with their completely unrealistic demands, which he labeled “deceiving” and “bizarro.”

In a seminal moment in this debate, here’s some video of McCain on the Senate floor today, unleashing an angry tirade at conservatives who are still holding out for a balanced budget amendment as part of any compromise on the debt ceiling. McCain accused them of “deceiving” America into believing such a thing can pass the Senate:

To such conservatives, McCain offered a simple answer: You’re in fantasy-land, and you’re doing your constituents a disservice by perpetuating the falsehood that such a thing can ever happen.

“What is really amazing about this is that some members are believing that we can pass a balanced-budget amendment to the Constitution in this body with its present representation — and that is foolish,” McCain said angrily. “That is worse than foolish. That is deceiving many of our constituents.” McCain went on to rip the idea as “bizarro.”

VIDEO:

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/mcca...

Well, at least SOME Republicans are not fooled by Boehner and the other clowns! Some Republicans are willing to put their neck on the shopping block to tell the truth!

McCain, of all people, finally spoke up:

Washington Post

McCain erupts: Conservatives are lying to America
By Greg Sargent

So the debt limit debate has come to this: John McCain, who you may recall was the GOP’s 2008 standard bearer, is now openly accusing conservatives of actively misleading America with their completely unrealistic demands, which he labeled “deceiving” and “bizarro.”

In a seminal moment in this debate, here’s some video of McCain on the Senate floor today, unleashing an angry tirade at conservatives who are still holding out for a balanced budget amendment as part of any compromise on the debt ceiling. McCain accused them of “deceiving” America into believing such a thing can pass the Senate:

To such conservatives, McCain offered a simple answer: You’re in fantasy-land, and you’re doing your constituents a disservice by perpetuating the falsehood that such a thing can ever happen.

“What is really amazing about this is that some members are believing that we can pass a balanced-budget amendment to the Constitution in this body with its present representation — and that is foolish,” McCain said angrily. “That is worse than foolish. That is deceiving many of our constituents.” McCain went on to rip the idea as “bizarro.”

VIDEO:

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/mcca...

sometimes McCain relapses back into the McCain people actually liked...it does not last long but its nice when it comes back for a bit

sometimes McCain relapses back into the McCain people actually liked...it does not last long but its nice when it comes back for a bit

I agree. I used to have a lot of respect for him, even in 2007. . .then I watched him in a primary debate with other Republicans, and he was really vile, even with people in the same party, and I thought he had lost his integrity.

Then he picked Palin. . .and I thought he lost his mind!

But, a couple of times since then, he has managed to surprise me and I can almost see the old McCain, the man with integrity and courage, reappear.

I wish he could find himself again. . .he is a pretty old man. I hope he can finish his life having regained his self-respect.

Werbung:
I agree. I used to have a lot of respect for him, even in 2007. . .then I watched him in a primary debate with other Republicans, and he was really vile, even with people in the same party, and I thought he had lost his integrity.

Then he picked Palin. . .and I thought he lost his mind!

But, a couple of times since then, he has managed to surprise me and I can almost see the old McCain, the man with integrity and courage, reappear.

I wish he could find himself again. . .he is a pretty old man. I hope he can finish his life having regained his self-respect.

I gave him a shot, I was leaning Obama but not much after originaly leaning McCain...then he started with the Obama wants to lose the Iraq war for political gain crap...I did not like that and how his campaign had stopped offering ideas of value and just attacking...then Palin..well that was a nail in the coffin , and then the coffin was thrown into the deep ocean....

Back