Titanic sunk by steering mistake, author says

steveox

LONDON (Reuters) – The Titanic hit an iceberg in 1912 because of a basic steering error, and only sank as fast as it did because an official persuaded the captain to continue sailing, an author said in an interview published on Wednesday.

Louise Patten, a writer and granddaughter of Titanic second officer Charles Lightoller, said the truth about what happened nearly 100 years ago had been hidden for fear of tarnishing the reputation of her grandfather, who later became a war hero.

Lightoller, the most senior officer to have survived the disaster, covered up the error in two inquiries on both sides of the Atlantic because he was worried it would bankrupt the ill-fated liner's owners and put his colleagues out of a job.

"They could easily have avoided the iceberg if it wasn't for the blunder," Patten told the Daily Telegraph.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100922/lf_nm_life/us_britain_titanic_book

Now American Families who had relitives died on that ship can Sue the British goverment. If my Great Grandfather was on that ship i would have ran to my lawyer right now. And then the jackass stupid jurors can give my money.

Werbung:
LONDON (Reuters) – The Titanic hit an iceberg in 1912 because of a basic steering error, and only sank as fast as it did because an official persuaded the captain to continue sailing, an author said in an interview published on Wednesday.

Louise Patten, a writer and granddaughter of Titanic second officer Charles Lightoller, said the truth about what happened nearly 100 years ago had been hidden for fear of tarnishing the reputation of her grandfather, who later became a war hero.

Lightoller, the most senior officer to have survived the disaster, covered up the error in two inquiries on both sides of the Atlantic because he was worried it would bankrupt the ill-fated liner's owners and put his colleagues out of a job.

"They could easily have avoided the iceberg if it wasn't for the blunder," Patten told the Daily Telegraph.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100922/lf_nm_life/us_britain_titanic_book

Now American Families who had relitives died on that ship can Sue the British goverment. If my Great Grandfather was on that ship i would have ran to my lawyer right now. And then the jackass stupid jurors can give my money.
It would seem logical the time limitation in which to file a law suit would have run out by now. I doubt that anyone can sue now. Secondly, anecdotal information should not be taken to be the truth. There are many conflicting accounts of the iceberg collision. One of which (was in a written account of the incident from the man in the crows nest that sighted the iceberg), stated that when he rang the pilot house (where the wheels man steers), and shouted "Iceberg ahead!", the officer on watch replied in an unconcerned manner with a calm, "Thank you.", and the ship gave no indication of changing course (neither port nor starboard), for at least 30 seconds whereas, the ship should have been ordered, "Hard a-port!" or, "Hard a-starboard!", within a second or two. So, you see, many anecdotal offerings, but none are absolute proof of what really occurred.
Also, noteworthy is that the ship was very unprepared for its first voyage safety wise. They did not have enough binoculars for the lookouts. They did not provide any training (even to the ship's officers), on how to assemble the collapsible life boats (none were successfully assembled before the ship sank despite sinking taking several hours). The required red (the standard recognized distress rocket color) distress rockets were not provided...only white rockets, which had no distress meaning. In all, it was a general screw-up.

It would seem logical the time limitation in which to file a law suit would have run out by now. I doubt that anyone can sue now. Secondly, anecdotal information should not be taken to be the truth. There are many conflicting accounts of the iceberg collision. One of which (was in a written account of the incident from the man in the crows nest that sighted the iceberg), stated that when he rang the pilot house (where the wheels man steers), and shouted "Iceberg ahead!", the officer on watch replied in an unconcerned manner with a calm, "Thank you.", and the ship gave no indication of changing course (neither port nor starboard), for at least 30 seconds whereas, the ship should have been ordered, "Hard a-port!" or, "Hard a-starboard!", within a second or two. So, you see, many anecdotal offerings, but none are absolute proof of what really occurred.
Also, noteworthy is that the ship was very unprepared for its first voyage safety wise. They did not have enough binoculars for the lookouts. They did not provide any training (even to the ship's officers), on how to assemble the collapsible life boats (none were successfully assembled before the ship sank despite sinking taking several hours). The required red (the standard recognized distress rocket color) distress rockets were not provided...only white rockets, which had no distress meaning. In all, it was a general screw-up.

Agreed. What I found interesting about this latest explanation is the claim that Ismay demanded the Captain keep sailing after they hit the iceberg and that this resulted in a quicker sinking. Is it true they continued sailing after the hit and would this result in sinking faster? Plus there is the assertion that had they stopped after the hit, the ship would have floated long enough for rescue of all the passengers. This seems highly unlikely.

And hey SteveO, besides your usual silliness WTH does the British government have to do with it??? The Titanic was not owned by the government.

Agreed. What I found interesting about this latest explanation is the claim that Ismay demanded the Captain keep sailing after they hit the iceberg and that this resulted in a quicker sinking. Is it true they continued sailing after the hit and would this result in sinking faster? Plus there is the assertion that had they stopped after the hit, the ship would have floated long enough for rescue of all the passengers. This seems highly unlikely.

And hey SteveO, besides your usual silliness WTH does the British government have to do with it??? The Titanic was not owned by the government.

Well White Star Line is out of business and you cant sue them it was built in england so therefor you sue the british government. I need my Millions please!

Werbung:

I do not know if the sinking could have been slowed down by stopping. However, there are several "what ifs". For instance, if the rockets fired by the Titanic had been the standard red indicative of distress, the S.S. California may have been able to reach her (ten miles away), before she sank.
http://home.earthlink.net/~dnitzer/8thePress/Carpenter.html

Back