Two Decades of Discontent

OldTrapper

Something you should read, and then actually think about.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/two-miserable-decades_756477.html

The economics of the 1970s, for example, were brutal. In 1969, the unemployment rate was 3.5 percent, the lowest it had been since the mid-1950s. (The postwar average has been about 5 percent.) By 1975 unemployment had more than doubled, to 8.5 percent. While people were working less, so was their money, as inflation ate into the value of the dollar. In the 1960s, the inflation rate rose above 2 percent only twice—until 1968. At which point it began steadily increasing, reaching 11 percent in 1974, 9.1 percent in 1975, and 11.3 percent in 1979. To understand the effect this financial terror had on the national psyche, consider how often inflation fears have recurred during the last 30 years—even though inflation hasn’t topped 6 percent since 1982.

Everyday life wasn’t much better than economic life. Terrorism first came into vogue in the 1970s. Sometimes it was a thuggish hijacking, with criminals commandeering an airplane and demanding passage to Cuba. Sometimes it was deadly, like the massacre of 11 Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Olympics. Nobody much remembers it today, but in March 1977 Muslim radicals with machine guns and machetes marched into the B’nai B’rith headquarters in Washington, just five blocks north of the White House, and took 100 workers hostage. They herded the hostages onto the roof, where one was killed and two others were shot over the course of a standoff that lasted two days. Simultaneously, affiliated terrorists took over D.C. city hall, where future mayor Marion Barry was shot and a radio reporter was shot and killed.

<snip>

And worse may be in the cards. In addition to everything else, the ’00s have featured an accelerating social stratification. Charles Murray detailed the new phenomenon in last year’s Coming Apart, and it boils down to this: Where lawyers once married their secretaries, they now marry, and stay married to, other lawyers. High school dropouts, meanwhile, have children with, but do not marry, other high school dropouts. With weak family formation and slack attachment to the workforce creeping up the socioeconomic scale, patterns that were once unthinkable start to seem inescapable.

In the spring of 2012, I had coffee with an enormously successful young Internet entrepreneur. He had no special technical genius; he’d majored in social studies at Harvard. But, he informed me, he had been “early at Facebook.” Which was his polite way of saying that as an undergraduate he had befriended a classmate named Mark Zuckerberg and, by chance, gotten richer than Croesus.

Still in his mid-20s, he worried that the American middle class was on a road to extinction. In the near future, he explained, the only people able to make real money would be elites in the tech sector, like himself. There would be, he allowed, a class of tradesmen who could make a living servicing the elites. “For example,” he said, “I like artisan pickles. So there will be a place for people in Brooklyn who make really good artisan pickles, for people like me.” But outside of the artisan-pickle-makers? Nothing. “We’re headed,” he said unhappily, “for the kind of social divide they have in Brazil.”

Werbung:

The economics of the 1970s, for example, were brutal. In 1969, the unemployment rate was 3.5 percent, the lowest it had been since the mid-1950s. (The postwar average has been about 5 percent.) By 1975 unemployment had more than doubled, to 8.5 percent. While people were working less, so was their money, as inflation ate into the value of the dollar. In the 1960s, the inflation rate rose above 2 percent only twice—until 1968. At which point it began steadily increasing, reaching 11 percent in 1974, 9.1 percent in 1975, and 11.3 percent in 1979. To understand the effect this financial terror had on the national psyche, consider how often inflation fears have recurred during the last 30 years—even though inflation hasn’t topped 6 percent since 1982.

Everyday life wasn’t much better than economic life. Terrorism first came into vogue in the 1970s. Sometimes it was a thuggish hijacking, with criminals commandeering an airplane and demanding passage to Cuba. Sometimes it was deadly, like the massacre of 11 Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Olympics. Nobody much remembers it today, but in March 1977 Muslim radicals with machine guns and machetes marched into the B’nai B’rith headquarters in Washington, just five blocks north of the White House, and took 100 workers hostage. They herded the hostages onto the roof, where one was killed and two others were shot over the course of a standoff that lasted two days. Simultaneously, affiliated terrorists took over D.C. city hall, where future mayor Marion Barry was shot and a radio reporter was shot and killed.

<snip>

And worse may be in the cards. In addition to everything else, the ’00s have featured an accelerating social stratification. Charles Murray detailed the new phenomenon in last year’s Coming Apart, and it boils down to this: Where lawyers once married their secretaries, they now marry, and stay married to, other lawyers. High school dropouts, meanwhile, have children with, but do not marry, other high school dropouts. With weak family formation and slack attachment to the workforce creeping up the socioeconomic scale, patterns that were once unthinkable start to seem inescapable.

In the spring of 2012, I had coffee with an enormously successful young Internet entrepreneur. He had no special technical genius; he’d majored in social studies at Harvard. But, he informed me, he had been “early at Facebook.” Which was his polite way of saying that as an undergraduate he had befriended a classmate named Mark Zuckerberg and, by chance, gotten richer than Croesus.

Still in his mid-20s, he worried that the American middle class was on a road to extinction. In the near future, he explained, the only people able to make real money would be elites in the tech sector, like himself. There would be, he allowed, a class of tradesmen who could make a living servicing the elites. “For example,” he said, “I like artisan pickles. So there will be a place for people in Brooklyn who make really good artisan pickles, for people like me.” But outside of the artisan-pickle-makers? Nothing. “We’re headed,” he said unhappily, “for the kind of social divide they have in Brazil.”

Even though there are very few posters in this forum, I would have thought there was at least one who was intelligent enough to be curious as to what the author was speaking of. Unfortunately I was wrong.

I read the full article. My impression of the differences in eras is easy. Most problems of the 70's saw some sort of closure for a while. The problems of the 00's are still on the upswing with a weak resistance to stop them.

Increased levels of automation in manufacturing and farming will produce more goods with ever fewer workers. These areas employ highly skilled workers to dumb down production so a minimum number of unskilled workers can make up the bulk of the labor force. What's left are fewer jobs that have a pay scale that is often below poverty level.

I see no solution. Currently the government is indirectly subsidizing McDonald’s and Walmart, for example, by giving assistance to people in these remaining poverty-level minimum wage jobs. The right-wing wants to remove that government assistance. Will this trend be successful? What does the future have in store for the US if that continues. A plutocracy? A revolution?

I read the full article. My impression of the differences in eras is easy. Most problems of the 70's saw some sort of closure for a while. The problems of the 00's are still on the upswing with a weak resistance to stop them.

Increased levels of automation in manufacturing and farming will produce more goods with ever fewer workers. These areas employ highly skilled workers to dumb down production so a minimum number of unskilled workers can make up the bulk of the labor force. What's left are fewer jobs that have a pay scale that is often below poverty level.

I see no solution. Currently the government is indirectly subsidizing McDonald’s and Walmart, for example, by giving assistance to people in these remaining poverty-level minimum wage jobs. The right-wing wants to remove that government assistance. Will this trend be successful? What does the future have in store for the US if that continues. A plutocracy? A revolution?
The rightwing also wants to not only end gov assistance but, to end government regualtions and unleash the American economy so that all can have good paying jobs thus ending the need for government created assistance

The rightwing also wants to not only end gov assistance but, to end government regualtions and unleash the American economy so that all can have good paying jobs thus ending the need for government created assistance
If government regulations such as minimum wage laws are gone and automation increases, what are the good paying jobs that everyone can have"? Service industries? Low tech jobs are notoriously low paying. Even the best minimum wage laws in the states are below poverty level for a family.

If government regulations such as minimum wage laws are gone and automation increases, what are the good paying jobs that everyone can have"? Service industries? Low tech jobs are notoriously low paying. Even the best minimum wage laws in the states are below poverty level for a family.
Energy jobs lag ...... the liberal hated energy jobs which will increase the economy providing other jobs as well

Energy jobs lag ...... the liberal hated energy jobs which will increase the economy providing other jobs as well
Here's another suggestion to improve the economy .... How about the regime stop illegally using the IRS to punish small businesses based upon success and party affiliation!

Maybe we'll all go back to being farmers like most of our great grandparents were. They set up their little homesteads and farms and managed to survive without the government teat.

Maybe we'll all go back to being farmers like most of our great grandparents were. They set up their little homesteads and farms and managed to survive without the government teat.
A number of people have suggested or used farming as the final survival fall-back, but only a fortunate few can afford the land and have the expertise to do that. A very large part of the unemployment problem occurs in areas where people live among concrete and asphalt rather than dirt.

Werbung:

<snip>

Much of the problems America faces today are the consequence of implementation of liberal/progressive polices and beliefs.

During this time period we have seen the size of government and spending by governments, grow exponentially. America at the beginning of the period in question, was the world's largest creditor nation. Today we are the largest debtor nation. Keynesian is in full control.

But also we have the wealthy elite and their paid for politicians, who have turned our economy into a crony capitalist one. The actions of the Fed are destroying the value of our money, while enriching banks, big corps, and the wealthy elite...at the same time the working poor and middle class are being squeezed by this corrupt and fraudulent system run and managed by a small elite. Our political class does nothing to stop this, but they do make sure to enrich and empower themselves.

Millions of Americans are now on the government dole. In 1960, nearly zero Americans were on the dole. Those on the dole vote for those who wish to increase government dependency, further enslaving millions. It is all unsustainable...and what is unsustainable will ultimately disappear.

The Constitution is now a dead letter. Politicians and the bureaucracy have unlimited powers. The passing of Obamacare is further proof of this. The rule of law has been bastardized into the rule by elites.

Will America turned back from the precipice or go over the cliff? I think we go over, since man is terribly flawed and now that man, in the form of our corrupt leadership, has all the power...and we know absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Back