UK: Can Brexit hurt the fragile peace in Northern Ireland?

Zanna

The two rivals Tony Blair and John Major, both of which contributors for keeping peace in N.Ireland, stated that exiting the EU would propably result in just enough instability to trigger more warfare in the area.

Major also said if the U.K. were to leave the 28-nation political and economic coalition formed afterWorld War II, that might spark an "uncontrollable and irresistible demand for a second independence referendum in Scotland."

Scots voted No to independence in a 2014 vote, but the issue has resurfaced with the looming EU referendum. A poll this week from research firm Kantar TNS showed 56% of Scots would vote No a second time if the United Kingdom left the EU.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...votes-raises-northern-ireland-fears/85589002/

Werbung:
The Bret vote will now establish a real border with Ireland. Will Northern Ireland accept this.

Major and Blair were two of the worst Prime Ministers ever so I would not even give what they say the time of day to be honest. Both made huge mistakes which the UK is still recovering from.

Northern Ireland has it pretty good right now, control over some things, financial support from Westminster, an open border with Ireland so people can travel back and forth, so most will be happy with that. The lack of jobs in both sides of the border is the issue though. I think with ISIS around, there is enough to deal with.

It's up to Ireland if they wish to erect and maintain a border, and they probably won't.

Even only a couple of days after the result of brexit, the republic of Ireland are already calling for Ireland to be united again, but that simply isn't going to happen. Northern Ireland might have wanted to stay in the EU, but I can tell you now they want to stay part of the UK even more and any calls for them to join Eire will be laughed out of the building, and quite rightly so.

Even only a couple of days after the result of brexit, the republic of Ireland are already calling for Ireland to be united again, but that simply isn't going to happen. Northern Ireland might have wanted to stay in the EU, but I can tell you now they want to stay part of the UK even more and any calls for them to join Eire will be laughed out of the building, and quite rightly so.
ROI needs to annex it

I doubt if the protestants of Northern Ireland would want to join Catholic Ireland or Europe.

It was inevitable that Sinn Fein would immediately call for the Irish union as they have been wanting that, by political or other means for a number of years now and can't accept that the people of Northern Ireland don't. I would be surprised if this escalated the tensions in Ireland but it's just another issue that's going to be put on the table to complicate the political discussions even more.

Werbung:
Back