UK man dies after being refused a liver transplant

Little-Acorn

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK...er_Being_Refused_Life-Saving_Liver_Transplant

Man, 22, Dies After Liver Transplant Refused
10:06pm UK, Monday July 20, 2009

A 22-year-old alcoholic has died after being refused a life-saving liver transplant because he was too ill to leave hospital and prove he could stay sober.

Gary with his mother just days before he died. Pic: The Sunday Times

Gary Reinbach, who died in hospital on Monday from a severe case of liver cirrhosis, did not qualify for a donor liver under strict NHS rules.

---------------------------------------

Coming soon, to a health care system near you!

Presently our government swears up and down that this will never happen. ALL patients who need treatment, will get it.

But how long will that last, once costs start to rise? (Have you ever seen ANY government program where costs didn't start rising, and quickly?)

And when they do, and people finally start calling their Congressmen and refusing to support all the new taxes the government says they need, what then?

How long will it be before government starts deciding, that in extreme cases where people's own behavior has caused the damage to their bodies, that they can no longer pay to fix it?

And people look around, and find that there are no longer any alternatives, because private practitioners have been unable to compete with tax-money-subsidized "Universal Health Care" that penalizes people for going outside the system, and have gone out of business?

Werbung:
bad news buddy, if your in the US and on the liver tansplant list, and they dont think you will and have stopped drinking...you also dont get a tansplant.

People in the US get denied transplants all the time for many reasons, insurance does not cover it, or does but they are saying no anyway ( sue them) or lack of insurance....

its sad that you think finding cases in other nations means jack &&&&& here..becuse 1, we can fine tune and change our system to fit our needs...no one is saying we take one system from one place and use it the exact way...and 2 there are so many cases of people having horrible problems here in the US but you seem to ignore them...like that woman who died in the waiting area and took like a hour for someone at the hospital to even notice.

Oh that is really sad. Hey do you know if its mandatory to be a donor in the UK?

You just asked if "it's mandatory to be a donor in the UK"...HOLY BAT CRAP...ya, and if you don't sign up at birth they come take your organs anyway. ROTFLMAO...OMG...I haven't laughed this hard in so long...TY 'BIB' TY, TY, TY!!! ;)

You truly are the gift that just keeps giving & giving & giving. Hmmm so very similar to your I.Q. idol Sarah Palin...who also is quite capable of speaking without the brain stem connected..."I can see Russia from my house".

Now I fully understand your ability to connect those wayward dots that just cannot be visible to any other adult around here...LMAO

bad news buddy, if your in the US and on the liver tansplant list, and they dont think you will and have stopped drinking...you also dont get a tansplant.

People in the US get denied transplants all the time for many reasons, insurance does not cover it, or does but they are saying no anyway ( sue them) or lack of insurance....

its sad that you think finding cases in other nations means jack &&&&& here..becuse 1, we can fine tune and change our system to fit our needs...no one is saying we take one system from one place and use it the exact way...and 2 there are so many cases of people having horrible problems here in the US but you seem to ignore them...like that woman who died in the waiting area and took like a hour for someone at the hospital to even notice.

No, now don't go trying to convince those 'hard wired right wing nut jobs' that we Americans could learn from other countries mistakes...no, no...the republicans just keep running head long into that brick wall repetitively and wonder why their head hurts...self inflicted stupidity!!! :p

And for proof, look at what 'Brains in the Box' {BIB} asked...Lordy, Lordy and they allow that I.Q. the right to cast a ballot!!! :rolleyes:

Yes it does mean jack here.
Only a complete fool sees a system with serious systemic flaws, and then watches other people adopt the same system and end up with the same systemic flaws, yet because he's a brain dead idiot, thinks "It will work if we try it... because we're dumb*** Americans!"

liberal_idiot.jpg

Insanity: Trying the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

Every socialized system ends up with the same systemic flaws. Each and every time it's tried, it ends up failing. Canada is moving towards private health care. France is moving toward private health care. UK is moving towards private health care. And the list goes on and on, yet here in 'retard American world', we have idiots pointing to those who are moving toward capitalism, and saying "See Socialized medicine works for them!!!"

However.....
Pocket is correct on this one instance. Organ transplants are limited, not by money, but by supply. It simply is impossible to give everyone organ transplants, simply because there is a limited supply of healthy, good organs. So since supply is limited, and thousands need them, transplant centers have many restrictions. This won't change.

The 22 year old, drank himself to death, and that's all there is to it. He would have been rejected everywhere. When you have a very limited supply of livers healthy enough to transplant, you don't pick 1 guy out of thousands, whose a bing-drinking alcoholic to give a new organ too, knowing he'll likely wipe it out as well.

There is another point to be made.
America has the highest number of transplants per capita, than any other country on earth. You have a better chance of getting a transplant here, than anywhere else. In the UK for example, the government has a predetermined number of transplants a year (because their expensive).

Which means you could be at the top of the list, and the most health on the list, with no reason to be rejected at all, and there could be dozens of healthy livers available... and yet, if the maximum number of transplants has been done for the year... you are stuck till next year. If you don't make it, you die.
socialized-medicine.gif

And that's dead on accurate. No pun intended. I'd only add that you could write in a dozen countries with massive multi-year waiting lists, where sometimes moving up the list is because the guys who have waited longer, have died.

Can you provide some evidence of that? I know that one might die because there isn't an organ available, but I have never heard of someone being left to die because of the way he or she came by the condition. Didn't Mickey Mantle recently get a liver transplant because his drinking wore the first one out?

I looked and can find no evidence to support such a claim.

Careful. Your guy did say that he had vistited all 57states and still had one to go.

That is quite correct. I'm just hoping that with 'Joe Biden' as his hooked at the hip side kick, that President Obama will be able to keep his social gaffs to a minimum ;) and allow VP Joe to lead the way with the 'foots in the mouth' :eek: Unlike the past 8 years of G.W.B. and company!!! LOL

Can you provide some evidence of that? I know that one might die because there isn't an organ available, but I have never heard of someone being left to die because of the way he or she came by the condition. Didn't Mickey Mantle recently get a liver transplant because his drinking wore the first one out?

I looked and can find no evidence to support such a claim.

I am sure I could find some, will look, but even andy agreed with me...I know I feel dirty now....

the reason is with limited livers , some people are not going to get one in time, and given the choice of giving one to a drinker who will kill the new one as well, and a non drinker who will take care of it, you give it to the one who will take care of it. If you need a liver tansplant, you can not drink, not a drop. They find out you drank, you go to bottom of the transplant list. my mom is one for a lung right now, if she where to pick up smoking again, the same would happen to her. if someone gave the gift of there body to keep someone alive, you dont want to waste it on people who will abuse that gift.

Who may not be given a liver: A person who needs a liver transplant may not qualify for one because of the following reasons:

* Active alcohol or substance abuse: Persons with active alcohol or substance abuse problems may continue living the unhealthy lifestyle that contributed to their liver damage. Transplantation would only result in failure of the newly transplanted liver.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/liver_transplant/article_em.htm

Andy, since you as always are just ranting....care to show me where anyone said copy there system exacly? I dont see the Current plans as anything like what they have....nor have I seen anyone say lets do it the very same way as any other nation. More straw men I suspect as the republican party has no plan to fix anything

You just asked if "it's mandatory to be a donor in the UK"...HOLY BAT CRAP...ya, and if you don't sign up at birth they come take your organs anyway. ROTFLMAO...OMG...I haven't laughed this hard in so long...TY 'BIB' TY, TY, TY!!! ;)

You truly are the gift that just keeps giving & giving & giving. Hmmm so very similar to your I.Q. idol Sarah Palin...who also is quite capable of speaking without the brain stem connected..."I can see Russia from my house".

Now I fully understand your ability to connect those wayward dots that just cannot be visible to any other adult around here...LMAO

Austria, Belgium, and Singapore as of a year ago were all considering mandatory organ donation to keep costs down and organs available. They may have already passed the laws since the last I looked into this was a while ago.

http://www.legalserviceindia.com/article/l224-Organ-Transplantation-Law-In-India.html

Australia has mandatory voting for all citizens, who would have thought a country would have a fine if you do not vote, but some do.

UK Organ Donation Controversy Barely Noticed by US Old Media

By Tom Blumer

January 20, 2008 - 12:50 ET

About a week ago, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown suggested in a UK Telegraph column that allowing hospitals to harvest organs from dead patients without their prior consent or their families' post-mortem consent might be a good idea.
Mr. Brown's occasion for bringing up the topic was telling, and perhaps explains why Brown's proposal got very little coverage in the US:
This year will be the 60th anniversary of the National Health Service: a year to celebrate and thank all the staff who run our hospitals, clinics and GP practices; but also a year in which to renew the NHS for the 21st century, because I believe that only by renewal can we make the NHS even more relevant for future decades than it has been in the past.
..... we may need to do more to encourage more of us to donate (organs. In Britain we have 14.9 million people on the organ donor register - which is around 24 per cent of the population. In terms of actual donors (not just people willing to give, but those whose organs are actually used) we have a rate of about 13 donors per million in our population. This compares with about 22 per million in France, 25 per million in America and around 35 per million in Spain - the best in the world.
That is why I want to start a debate in this country about whether we should take steps to move towards a new system designed to enable far more of us to benefit from transplant surgery - one that better reflects survey findings that around 90 per cent of us are in favour of organ donation.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-bl...ation-controversy-barely-noticed-us-old-media

But I thank you for your hate filled personal attacks at my asking the question...

Werbung:
Andy, since you as always are just ranting....care to show me where anyone said copy there system exacly? I dont see the Current plans as anything like what they have....nor have I seen anyone say lets do it the very same way as any other nation.

Clearly you've once again bought into the propaganda and swallowed the platitudinous rhetoric hook, line and sinker.

Have you read the bill? That's OK, neither has Obama but he too is pushing for its passage and making promises that are not supported by the bill he supports:

Obama Admits He’s “Not Familiar” With House Bill

With the public’s trust in his handling of health care tanking (50%-44% of Americans disapprove), the White House has launched a new phase of its strategy designed to pass Obamacare: all Obama, all the time. As part of that effort, Obama hosted a conference call with leftist bloggers urging them to pressure Congress to pass his health plan as soon as possible.

During the call, a blogger from Maine said he kept running into an Investors Business Daily article that claimed Section 102 of the House health legislation would outlaw private insurance. He asked: “Is this true? Will people be able to keep their insurance and will insurers be able to write new policies even though H.R. 3200 is passed?” President Obama replied: “You know, I have to say that I am not familiar with the provision you are talking about.” (quote begins at 17:10)

This is a truly disturbing admission by the President, especially considering that later in the call, Obama promises yet again: “If you have health insurance, and you like it, and you have a doctor that you like, then you can keep it. Period.” How can Obama keep making this promise if he is not familiar with the health legislation that is being written in Congress? Details matter.

Here's another:

It's Not An Option

Congress: It didn't take long to run into an "uh-oh" moment when reading the House's "health care for all Americans" bill. Right there on Page 16 is a provision making individual private medical insurance illegal.

Obama also claimed the Mayo Clinic supports his bill... OOPS! No, they don't:

Mayo Clinic’s reaction to House Tri-Committee bill

Although there are some positive provisions in the current House Tri-Committee bill – including insurance for all and payment reform demonstration projects – the proposed legislation misses the opportunity to help create higher-quality, more affordable health care for patients. In fact, it will do the opposite.

In general, the proposals under discussion are not patient focused or results oriented. Lawmakers have failed to use a fundamental lever – a change in Medicare payment policy – to help drive necessary improvements in American health care. Unless legislators create payment systems that pay for good patient results at reasonable costs, the promise of transformation in American health care will wither. The real losers will be the citizens of the United States.

More straw men I suspect as the republican party has no plan to fix anything

Andy, I warned you before and I'll say it again... If you keep PWNING Pocketfullofshat, the government will nationalize him.

House GOP Solutions Group Outlines Health Care Plan to Increase Affordability, Accessibility, Availability

There's the link to the GOP plan. I think its too weak myself and lacking in truly Capitalist solutions to the problem but its better than the Democrats plan of taking over the health care insurance industry.

Back