Ummm, guys, Sandy isn't that big

Little-Acorn

OK, I know, there's no such thing as a little hurricane.

But Katrina was a Category 4, wasn't it, with winds topping 150mph? Sandy is maybe a Cat 1, max winds around 80mph and gusts to 90?

If Sandy had hit New Orleans dead on like Katrina did, people there would mostly brush it off, "just another hurricane, no big deal", they get them fairly frequently down there. They board up the windows, lay out sandbags, stock up on batteries and Coleman fuel, and either visit their aunt in Denver or just ride it out.

What's different about Sandy isn't the hurricane itself. It's that it hit 60 million people, not 15 million like Katrina did... and it was 60 million who aren't used to hurricanes in an area far less prepared for one. 80mph winds, huge rain, and storm surges along the shore are still nothng to sneeze at.

And Sandy is hitting *newspapermen* right where they live: Manhattan and Washington DC. That's the real reason for all the consternation and screaming. "Journalists" who went to NO to cover Katrina, felt like they were visiting a foreign land (well, for them, maybe they were: The United States of America), not seeing something that was happening to THEM. But Sandy is hitting them right between the eyes: They CAN'T get away from it.

Katrina was huge and unusually powerful; Sandy is only average as hurricanes go. But Sandy is hitting journalists where they live... and that makes it news.

Werbung:
Katrina came in as a cat3. But the hurricane isn't what caused the flooding in Katrina. It was the surge filling up lake Pontchartrain and then the broken levees. I saw FOX broadcasting on Burbon street the morining after Katrina. People were out on the streets and the streets were just wet like after any rain. The flooding came later.

It's the surge in water that causes all the problems. Sandy had heights of 16 feet in some places. But the sheer size of Sandy, approx 800 miles across, and moving inland during a full-moon at high-tide and then running into a noreaster is what has caused so much trouble. The weather guy said these storm conditions only happen about once every 80 years or so.

Earthquakes are nasty
Katrina came in as a cat3. But the hurricane isn't what caused the flooding in Katrina. It was the surge filling up lake Pontchartrain and then the broken levees. I saw FOX broadcasting on Burbon street the morining after Katrina. People were out on the streets and the streets were just wet like after any rain. The flooding came later.

It's the surge in water that causes all the problems. (BINGO!)
Sandy had heights of 16 feet in some places. But the sheer size of Sandy, approx 800 miles across, and moving inland during a full-moon at high-tide and then running into a noreaster is what has caused so much trouble. The weather guy said these storm conditions only happen about once every 80 years or so.

New Orleans--was built in the WRONG PLACE.
It will flood--every so often--no matter how many gazillions you spend.
Historical Inevitability. Guaranteed.
Don't think so?
Go there--and walk way up the steps--way up--to see the Mississippi River--above St. Mark's Cathedral in Jackson Square.
The whole damn town is below sea level. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans

I thought they should have turned it into a water park with house boats.

Make it into a nice Southern-style Venice--with craw-dads right off your veranda.
And let the old Mississip' and the Gulf co-mingle and slosh back and forth. A bayou.
Justin Wilson's dream--become reality.

OK, I know, there's no such thing as a little hurricane.

But Katrina was a Category 4, wasn't it, with winds topping 150mph? Sandy is maybe a Cat 1, max winds around 80mph and gusts to 90?

If Sandy had hit New Orleans dead on like Katrina did, people there would mostly brush it off, "just another hurricane, no big deal", they get them fairly frequently down there. They board up the windows, lay out sandbags, stock up on batteries and Coleman fuel, and either visit their aunt in Denver or just ride it out.

What's different about Sandy isn't the hurricane itself. It's that it hit 60 million people, not 15 million like Katrina did... and it was 60 million who aren't used to hurricanes in an area far less prepared for one. 80mph winds, huge rain, and storm surges along the shore are still nothng to sneeze at.

And Sandy is hitting *newspapermen* right where they live: Manhattan and Washington DC. That's the real reason for all the consternation and screaming. "Journalists" who went to NO to cover Katrina, felt like they were visiting a foreign land (well, for them, maybe they were: The United States of America), not seeing something that was happening to THEM. But Sandy is hitting them right between the eyes: They CAN'T get away from it.

Katrina was huge and unusually powerful; Sandy is only average as hurricanes go. But Sandy is hitting journalists where they live... and that makes it news.

I guess over 100 death from Sandy does make it a "big" disaster.

It is NOT how "powerful" the forces of a hurricane are. . .(it's a little like, "if a tree fall in a forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it matter if the tree is a huge sequoia?). . .it is what its IMPACT is.

Obviously, since President Obama has been praised by ALL (including Christie) for his pro-active and for his answer to Sandy. . .you must poo poo it!

So silly!

I guess over 100 death from Sandy does make it a "big" disaster.

It is NOT how "powerful" the forces of a hurricane are. . .(it's a little like, "if a tree fall in a forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it matter if the tree is a huge sequoia?). . .it is what its IMPACT is.

Obviously, since President Obama has been praised by ALL (including Christie) for his pro-active and for his answer to Sandy. . .you must poo poo it!

So silly!

Tell THAT to the folks on Staten Island.

Uncalled for.
Tells a story--right there.

You mean, you are not the one who posted this comment?

Johnny Tremain said:
I hope everyone watched tonight on the mainstream media at the Dog & Pony Show put on by democrats rushing like evangelists to help out sinners on Staten Island, with gifts for all that appeared in front of the cameras. All problems solved!
Now, dear, what is "uncalled for?"​

Well--I can hardly be held responsible when funny and spot-on ironic analogies fly right over your head.

You're right, if you think that calling a whole group of people "sinners" is funny. . . that would fly over my head! Because it is a "sick" comment.

Glad to see that, as your new idol, Romney, you are quick to deny your own words!

You're right, if you think that calling a whole group of people "sinners" is funny. . . that would fly over my head! Because it is a "sick" comment.

Glad to see that, as your new idol, Romney, you are quick to deny your own words!

You must be going through some tough personal difficulties at this time.
I suggest some readings of Sister Mary Ignatius.

Werbung:

Lay off Romney--he spent a couple of years doing Missionary Work whilst Obama was doing crack in the 'hood.
Ever get the impression democrats see the end of Obama is coming in less than 48 hours?

Back