Vaccine 'could cut cervical cancer deaths 76 pct.

palefrost

This is amazing!! I'm so happy to see this in my lifetime! I am surprised that the religious section are upset about giving their child a sex protection vaccine. Has anyone else been following that controversy?

LONDON (Reuters) -- GlaxoSmithKline's experimental vaccine against a virus that causes cervical cancer could cut the number of cases and deaths from the illness by up to 76 percent, the drug company said on Monday.

The vaccine known as Cervarix prevents infection from two strains of the human papillomavirus (HPV) which account for about 70 percent of cases of cervical cancer.

GlaxoSmithKline says 100 percent coverage with its new vaccine could lead to a huge decrease in cervical cancer cases.

In a computer model study sponsored by GlaxoSmithKline and presented at a medical conference in Prague, the researchers predicted the impact the vaccine would have in Britain if all 12 year-old girls were vaccinated.

If coverage was 100 percent, the company said it could lead to 76 percent fewer deaths. Eighty percent vaccine coverage could reduce cases and deaths by 61 percent, according to the research.

"Over the lifetime of a UK cohort of 12 year old females, the model predicts the occurrence of 2,636 cervical cancer cases and 1,403 cancer deaths without vaccination," the researchers said in the study.

"With vaccination at 100 percent coverage, the forecast would be as low as 632 cancer cases (76 percent reduction) and 335 cancer deaths (also 76 percent reduction)."

The estimates are based on the vaccination being paired with the existing cervical screening program.

Dr Anne Szarewski, of the charity Cancer Research UK, said HPV vaccination offers great promise in reducing cases and preventing deaths from the illness.

"Currently there are 3,000 women in the UK who get cervical cancer each year -- despite a highly efficient screening program," she said in a statement.

Merck (Charts) has also produced a vaccine to prevent the illness. The European Medicines Agency has recommended Merck's Gardasil to prevent cancer caused by four strains of HPV. It also won approval from the Food and Drug Administration in June.

Werbung:
Yes I read this article to! I think it's a great idea I don't know why religious leaders would be upset no one is saying woman are going to go out and engage in premarital sex due to this vaccine. A cure for a cancer is a huge medical leap forward.

I dont understand it either. Why wouldnt you want to protect your child? Its not condoning sexual behavior its just preventing a virus. You cant predict what happens in a lifetime. I just really dont understand people.

The vaccine doesn't cure cancer, DJ, but rather prevents the virus which can lead to cervical cancer. I'm all for it, though.

It still won't help the millions of people already infected, but this is a step in the right direction.
It however will not help current generations because the vaccine will only be effective in people who have never been in any contact with the virus... sadly, between 50 and 75% of sexually active people are infected.

What alarms me the most about this virus and please correct me if i get any of it wrong. A male can carry it but never know he has it. A female gets it and it can lay dorment for years still a stressful event triggers it and then it can activate. What i dont get is, if it ever leaves the woman. Does anyone know if i have that all right ? LOL

What alarms me the most about this virus and please correct me if i get any of it wrong. A male can carry it but never know he has it. A female gets it and it can lay dorment for years still a stressful event triggers it and then it can activate. What i dont get is, if it ever leaves the woman. Does anyone know if i have that all right ? LOL

Here's a quote from a fact sheet and link to it:

There is no "cure" for HPV infection, although in most women the infection goes away on its own. The treatments provided are directed to the changes in the skin or mucous membrane caused by HPV infection, such as warts and pre-cancerous changes in the cervix.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm#cure

Werbung:
I thought that the reason religious groups were upset about it was because some thought that it might actually condone more sexually wanton behavior due to the removal of one aspect of risk. This is either folly or a gross misunderstanding of the nature of a vaccine.

Back