Vigilantism

dahermit

There have been several instances in modern times when there were cases of vigilantism. In these cases a person or persons, in situations where the police/Justus system seemed not to effectively protect the people, killed an obvious threat.
I can find no legitimate reason to consider what they did was not a moral right in view of the fact that the police and justus system failed to do its job.

The three most stated objections to vigilantism are: Innocent people can be killed and a "Wild West" mentality will take over. In the first instance, there are innocent people being killed all the time anyway...even by police(the several black men shot in a car the night before a wedding). The second objection is a platitude not a legitimate argument inasmuch as there is no proof that vigilantism would lead to general anarchy. The last argument, is a trial would prove or disprove the innocence of a perpetrator, flies in the face of O.J. Simpson's and Robert Blake's acquittals. In the case of Robert Blake however, I am not sure if Blake was a perpetrator or vigilante in light of the character, or lack of it in Bonny Blake...He may have done society a favor.
Thoughts on Vigilantism?

Werbung:
Vigilantism is mob justice

it is the view of a man who feels himself above the law - he is judge, jury, executioner

it is an utter contempt of law

it is the lynchmob in the dark of the night

it is the view of a man who feels himself above the law - he is judge, jury, executioner

Yeah, and its also Spider-Man. People idolize vigilantes (especially fictional ones) for their seeming ability to be above the law and the limited perception of society.

In reality, vigilantism is a crime for a reason. Most people haven't figured that out yet.

But you have stated that the law is not always a good enough reason to protect life. You initimated that there are valid reasons to kill that are beyond the scope of the law.

Those inconsistancies have a way of coming round to bite you on the ass don't they?:D

But you have stated that the law is not always a good enough reason to protect life. You initimated that there are valid reasons to kill that are beyond the scope of the law.

Those inconsistancies have a way of coming round to bite you on the ass don't they?:D

Anybody ever tell you that you are a dork?

Just wondering...:D

guess I better mosey on over to another debate...

Yeah, and its also Spider-Man. People idolize vigilantes (especially fictional ones) for their seeming ability to be above the law and the limited perception of society.

In reality, vigilantism is a crime for a reason. Most people haven't figured that out yet.

The problem with vigilantism in Hollywood is that there are no consequences....

detracts from a serious debate.

You both exhibit the qualities of stellar dorkism.
I intended this for a serious debate. If you cannot make a rational argument, perhaps it is after your bed time.
If you can't keep it civil this forum will deteriorate into childish name calling.

This type of platitude does nothing to add to the debate, it is too ambiguous. A more reasoned and complete response if you please.

In all cases? In the two instances I had in mind, they thought that the person they killed was going to kill someone. In one case the person who the vigilantes killed already had shot (but not killed)two innocent people.
Also, in the two instances I had in mind, the law should have been held in contempt.

Both instances were in daylight, in one instance almost the whole town was involved(including the local preacher) and "got away with it". In the other the retired US Naval officer was sent to prison(he was sure that the person he shot would have eventually killed his wife or another innocent person).
Your responses were merely platitudes...not well reasoned or logical.

Oh get a grip, I'm just having fun. I'll be serious now.

This type of platitude does nothing to add to the debate, it is too ambiguous. A more reasoned and complete response if you please.

Vigilantism is essentially mob or popular justice. That shouldn't be confused with self defense though.

The definition of vigilante: One who takes or advocates the taking of law enforcement into one's own hands.

That means the person takes for himself the role of police, judge, jury, executioner. At the very least, it goes against our judicial system - innocent until proven guilty, trial by jury. A vigilante does not necessarily know the law and the person he is after is not necessarily guilty. The law, and respect for it is the glue that holds our society together and, as Palerider has pointed out in another debate - it is all that seperates us from the law of the jungle.

In all cases? In the two instances I had in mind, they thought that the person they killed was going to kill someone.

Also, in the two instances I had in mind, the law should have been held in contempt.

Both instances were in daylight, in one instance almost the whole town was involved(including the local preacher) and "got away with it". In the other the retired US Naval officer was sent to prison(he was sure that the person he shot would have eventually killed his wife or another innocent person).
Your responses were merely platitudes...not well reasoned or logical.

It's impossible to comment on this without knowing more about those cases....

Ill point out that a dork is a term for whale penis for the record.

Also vigilante justice has no place in modern society, except the one case would be for a large group of people to kick the sh!t out of Reverend Phelps and his gang of idiots as they are protesting the funeral of a fallen soldier.
Other than that, let the system and process work itself out.

Ill point out that a dork is a term for whale penis for the record.

Also vigilante justice has no place in modern society, except the one case would be for a large group of people to kick the sh!t out of Reverend Phelps and his gang of idiots as they are protesting the funeral of a fallen soldier.
Other than that, let the system and process work itself out.

No kidding? Now THAT's funny....

So is the thought of kicking the **** out of Phelps :D

Werbung:
Hey man, Im an Alaskan, we know all about whales including how they taste, but not the dork end of them of course. Another tidbit, an oosick(OOh-sick) is the native term for a walrus penis.
I have said before to friends, that if heaven forbid a friend of mine was to be KIA, and Phelps showed up at his memorial, I would crawl through broken glass to get the chance to let my hands and feet do my talking.

Back