"We're Safer Now Than We've Ever Been"

GBFan

Russia has reportedly reached a deal with Cuba to reopen a Cold War-era listening post that was used to intercept U.S. communications and provide information to Russian Navy ships in the region.

Government sources who spoke to Russian newspaper Kommersant said the deal was reached while President Vladimir Putin was visiting Havana Friday.

The sources said Moscow began talks with Cuba years ago to re-open the post in the Havana suburb of Lourdes, but increased negotiations at the beginning of this year. Russia is also agreeing to write off 90 percent of the $32 billion debt Cuba owes Russia, Kommersant reports.

The post, which opened in 1967, is located 150 miles off the coast of Florida.

At its peak use, the post was worked by 3,000 Soviet military and intelligence personnel, who intercepted communications and relayed the information to Russian Navy ships and submarines in the Western hemisphere, according to The Telegraph.

But the post was closed in late 2001 due to a lack of Russian financing and pressure from Washington to improve ties between the two countries.

Vyacheslav Trubnikov, a former director of Russia’s intelligence service, said the post “gave the Soviet Union eyes in the whole of the western hemisphere.”

"For Russia, which is fighting for its lawful rights and place in the international community, it would be no less valuable than for the USSR,” Trubnikov told The Telegraph.

The listening post was the most powerful Soviet electronic intelligence center located outside Russia’s territory, Kommersant reports.

U.S. State Department Spokeswoman Jen Psaki has not commented on reports of the alleged deal due to the lack of an official statement from Russia or Cuba, the newspaper reported, citing Interfax news agency.

Werbung:
Oh snap... I read your headline and thought Obama was taking everyone employed by the federal government on a vacation overseas... You can imagine my disappointment... Shame on you GB! :cry:

LOL --- I got my golf date with him next week ---- I think he's trying to find SOMEBODY he can beat.

It is so predictably funny (not really) that the administration always makes stetements that are 180° opposite of plainly visable truth.

I question the value of proximity for this Cuban thing though. (NSA gets it all done from here after all.)

It is so predictably funny (not really) that the administration always makes stetements that are 180° opposite of plainly visable truth.

The Emperor has no clothes.

What's also not so funny, is his comments usually blow up in his face shortly thereafter.

I remember saying a few weeks ago; "what's next?"....since then all hell has broke loose.

The Emperor has no clothes.

What's also not so funny, is his comments usually blow up in his face shortly thereafter.

I remember saying a few weeks ago; "what's next?"....since then all hell has broke loose.
All the world knows nobody is watching. If you dont already get that feeling of swirling downward like a toilet it wont be long.

Wont have to eait too long to find out. Nov is around the corner.

nah we know you will do well in the house since you have it rigged though its nice that the courts are throwing out some of that now. But thats your trick you only can win when you have a perfectly carved group on right wingers...thats why Democrats actually got more votes in the House...But have less seats.

And 1 Election in 20 years for the white house...thats your batting record for the popular vote with a dieing voting block of old ass white people with less then a college education.

Werbung:
nah we know you will do well in the house since you have it rigged though its nice that the courts are throwing out some of that now. But thats your trick you only can win when you have a perfectly carved group on right wingers...thats why Democrats actually got more votes in the House...But have less seats.

And 1 Election in 20 years for the white house...thats your batting record for the popular vote with a dieing voting block of old ass white people with less then a college education.
I believe you will find that gerrymandering is anything but unique to one party. Moreover its the donkeys who rigged the game by introducing racial quotas.

And ai gather you have not been reading studies of the rising genetations and how they are tending. The hippy effect in the left is dying off and fiscally responsiblity is on the rise along with (gasp) personal accountability.

Interesting times ahead.

Back