Whooping Cough alert on Lon Guyland NY

dogtowner

Staff member
my friend from Long Island pronounces it that way (intentionally)

when I saw th4e headline I figured it was something to do with parents not getting vaccinations for their kids or perhaps illegals who neve3r were and imported it. what concerned me was it saying qite a few had been immunized and got it anyway (if somewhat less intensely).

article is poorly written so I'm dropping pointless filler

LINDENHURST, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – An alarming rise in a potentially fatal bacterial infection known as whooping cough has prompted a warning from the Suffolk County Health Department.
But what’s going around this year is a potentially fatal bacterial cough known as pertussis or whooping cough, reports CBS 2’s Emily Smith.
It’s a chronic cough, almost a barking sound, that can last more than three months, and it is spread easily through droplets.
The whooping cough outbreak started with 13 cases in Smithtown on Long Island in June. Since then it has spread to more than a dozen districts in Suffolk County.
The most recent case of whooping cough involves a student at 5th Avenue Elementary in Northport, where 11 cases have already been reported. On Tuesday night, parents told CBS 2′s Hazel Sanchez they are growing concerned.
And what’s particularly concerning to health officials is this most recent outbreak has the highest number of cases reported since 2006 when there were 110 for the year. Now it’s 216 cases of whooping cough for the year so far.
What’s causing this sudden and sharp rise in whooping cough has yet to be determined, said Dr. Dennis Russo with the Suffolk County Health Department. He said it might be as simple as more doctors are detecting and diagnosing it, or it could be an increase in some parents’ decision to forgo vaccinating their kids.
The majority of the students who have been infected with whooping cough had been immunized, which health officials said may account for their milder illness.

while docs do mention that immunization is not ab absolute safeguard it does seem this one may be an other of thise that lose effectiveness.

seemed like a real blast from the past as I had not personally heard of more than one since my childhood but I guess it was not as dead as say, polio.

Werbung:
Back