Why do people believe in god?

Dawkinsrocks

Well it is pretty clear that you can get weak minded humans to believe in anything isn't it?

You only have to look at Scientology to see how true this is

And many Christians agree that Scientology is utterly bonkers

What they don't see is that their own belief system is just as barmy

So why do people flock so willingly to these ludicrous myths?

Well it is clear that many struggle with the idea that death is the end after which you will never see your loved ones again. The fact that this thought may be uncomfortable is not evidence of god's existence though is it?

Then there is the struggle to understand where we or the universe came from. The fact is we don't know. But that is not evidence of God's existence

Then there is the bible. A book full of lies, inconsistencies, fables and fiction which has to be reinterpreted all the time as science debunks more and more of it. If it is so fallible it can hardly be the word of a perfect god can it?

Then there is all the sophistry eg the ontological argument. But if the idea of god is too perfect for man to have created how come everything god creates is so imperfect? I mean, he made a world full of disease and catastrophe and Americans so he can't be perfect

Then there is the claim of personal experience. A totally unverifiable claim that in other spheres of life would be called madness. So this is not evidence of anything other than the state of mind of the claimant

In the normal world we are happy to say that if there is no evidence of x existing then x does not exist and there is no onus on the claimant to prove that x does not exist

For x substitute fairies or elves and Christians will agree

But if you substitute god for x that principle flies out of the window and they cling like a drowning man to a straw to the fact that you cannot prove a negative

So why do people believe in god?

For the same reason people believe in Scientology, or Allah or Pan

Because they are very weak minded

Werbung:
In the normal world we are happy to say that if there is no evidence of x existing then x does not exist..
A lack of evidence to support the existence of God is not proof that God does not exist. You are using the same negative proof fallacy you say believers are "weak minded" for using.

Same reason Arabs believe Mohammed is Islam GOD. And the Asians believe in Budduh
Steveox. Arabs or any Muslims do not belie
Well it is pretty clear that you can get weak minded humans to believe in anything isn't it?

You only have to look at Scientology to see how true this is

And many Christians agree that Scientology is utterly bonkers

What they don't see is that their own belief system is just as barmy

So why do people flock so willingly to these ludicrous myths?

Well it is clear that many struggle with the idea that death is the end after which you will never see your loved ones again. The fact that this thought may be uncomfortable is not evidence of god's existence though is it?

Then there is the struggle to understand where we or the universe came from. The fact is we don't know. But that is not evidence of God's existence

Then there is the bible. A book full of lies, inconsistencies, fables and fiction which has to be reinterpreted all the time as science debunks more and more of it. If it is so fallible it can hardly be the word of a perfect god can it?

Then there is all the sophistry eg the ontological argument. But if the idea of god is too perfect for man to have created how come everything god creates is so imperfect? I mean, he made a world full of disease and catastrophe and Americans so he can't be perfect

Then there is the claim of personal experience. A totally unverifiable claim that in other spheres of life would be called madness. So this is not evidence of anything other than the state of mind of the claimant

In the normal world we are happy to say that if there is no evidence of x existing then x does not exist and there is no onus on the claimant to prove that x does not exist

For x substitute fairies or elves and Christians will agree

But if you substitute god for x that principle flies out of the window and they cling like a drowning man to a straw to the fact that you cannot prove a negative

So why do people believe in god?

For the same reason people believe in Scientology, or Allah or Pan

Because they are very weak minded

Dawkinsrocks, I have answer a similar question in another post in another forum. I will give you some of my answer but it does depend on the question.
At First if we see something powerful than us we might assume it is harmful. this is rational to take precautions.So many religion are form to ward off harmful spirits.
As we get older we observe not just evil but a power for good. We give the latter the name God. That is after the route of word goodness. Now of course we can become our own scholars and make this God whatever we think. However most of us go to experts on the subject. These might be called Philosophers or theologians. We accept their description of God. This is why people in the West accept Yahweh as their God. There are different experts in other cultures so there description of God is different.

Now we have invented God with the help of experts. Most men have done this. But there are similarities in their description of God as well. Is this man's mind evolving in the same direction or an influence of an outside force God. I can not answer this for you> For me it is more than my construction. I have encounter a power in different people of different religions. I have experience this in my own life. I accept this is a belief in God.

As I was raised a Catholic I try to be a good Catholic. There is nothing inconsistent with the core beliefs of this church with my own construction of beliefs.
However I do not say that the thousand of other religions are wrong. After Vatican 2 Catholic believe that what is good in another religion comes from God.

AS a liberal I can concede the real God can allow man to construct different religions to suit them but to still guide men through these religions> So there is no problem od different manifestations of God, they repreesnt the same God in its essence. Thats why I believe.
ve that Mohammed is God. He is just a prophet. Nor do Asians or any buddhist believe that Budda is a God.
Because you attack another religion get your facts right.

A lack of evidence to support the existence of God is not proof that God does not exist. You are using the same negative proof fallacy you say believers are "weak minded" for using.

kind of sad he doesnt realize this.

but what can you expect of people so iinsecure in their beliefs that they act like daw ?

How stupid do you have to be yo buy what dog and gen have written

I will try once again to explain to you what a ten year old would get in seconds

It is logically impossible to prove non-existence.

Capiche?

The onus is to prove existence

With me so far?

When the existence of x can't be proved we are happy to say that x doesn't exist

If you want to breach this principle it obliges you to believe in everything

So whilst you get an argument for the possibility of god it comes at a devastating price because you also have to accept the equally strong argument that there is an evil elf who made everything and who pretends to be your god

The fact that you struggle with this elementary logic explains why you are Christians

Proof again if you like of the stupidity of Christians

If you argue against this you are just going to appear even dimmer as it is unassailable logic

Aus - how have you grown up as a catholic and remained so ignorant of the gross excesses of the church you follow

Industrial scale pedophilia

Nazi sympathising

Slavery

The papal inquisition ( changed to the Spanish inquisition when the pope realised it was bad narketing)

Worshipping bits of wood and bone

Believing that wafers turn into the body of a man who died thousands of years ago and that it is appropriate to eat such a thing

Imprisoning Galileo for saying the earth goes round the sun

I could go on for ages

The RC church is a sewer and yet you seem oblivious

I guess you have to have this capacity for ignoring inconvenient truth to be a Christian so I shouldn't be surprised

How stupid do you have to be yo buy what dog and gen have written

I will try once again to explain to you what a ten year old would get in seconds

Capiche?

The onus is to prove existence

With me so far?

When the existence of x can't be proved we are happy to say that x doesn't exist

So whilst you get an argument for the possibility of god it comes at a devastating price because you also have to accept the equally strong argument that there is an evil elf who made everything and who pretends to be your god

The fact that you struggle with this elementary logic explains why you are Christians

Proof again if you like of the stupidity of Christians

If you argue against this you are just going to appear even dimmer as it is unassailable logic

still dont get the point i see. ask your mom to explain it to you.

Steveox. Arabs or any Muslims do not belie

Dawkinsrocks, I have answer a similar question in another post in another forum. I will give you some of my answer but it does depend on the question.
At First if we see something powerful than us we might assume it is harmful. this is rational to take precautions.So many religion are form to ward off harmful spirits.
As we get older we observe not just evil but a power for good. We give the latter the name God. That is after the route of word goodness. Now of course we can become our own scholars and make this God whatever we think. However most of us go to experts on the subject. These might be called Philosophers or theologians. We accept their description of God. This is why people in the West accept Yahweh as their God. There are different experts in other cultures so there description of God is different.

Now we have invented God with the help of experts. Most men have done this. But there are similarities in their description of God as well. Is this man's mind evolving in the same direction or an influence of an outside force God. I can not answer this for you> For me it is more than my construction. I have encounter a power in different people of different religions. I have experience this in my own life. I accept this is a belief in God.

As I was raised a Catholic I try to be a good Catholic. There is nothing inconsistent with the core beliefs of this church with my own construction of beliefs.
However I do not say that the thousand of other religions are wrong. After Vatican 2 Catholic believe that what is good in another religion comes from God.

AS a liberal I can concede the real God can allow man to construct different religions to suit them but to still guide men through these religions> So there is no problem od different manifestations of God, they repreesnt the same God in its essence. Thats why I believe.
ve that Mohammed is God. He is just a prophet. Nor do Asians or any buddhist believe that Budda is a God.
Because you attack another religion get your facts right.
Sorry My last reply mix up a reply to Steveox and Dawkinrocks. In my reply ignore the first line and the last two lines. They were meant to be a reply to steveok. They got muddle up so will repeat them

Sorry My last reply mix up a reply to Steveox and Dawkinrocks. In my reply ignore the first line and the last two lines. They were meant to be a reply to steveok. They got muddle up so will repeat them

You know, Auss, I may not agree with much of your positions, but I think you're an honest, and fair person, and I respect you.

Same reason Arabs believe Mohammed is Islam GOD. And the Asians believe in Budduh
Steveox, Arabs or any other Muslims do not bele
Aus - how have you grown up as a catholic and remained so ignorant of the gross excesses of the church you follow

Industrial scale pedophilia

Nazi sympathising

Slavery

The papal inquisition ( changed to the Spanish inquisition when the pope realised it was bad narketing)

Worshipping bits of wood and bone

Believing that wafers turn into the body of a man who died thousands of years ago and that it is appropriate to eat such a thing

Imprisoning Galileo for saying the earth goes round the sun

I could go on for ages

The RC church is a sewer and yet you seem oblivious

I guess you have to have this capacity for ignoring inconvenient truth to be a Christian so I shouldn't be surprised

I am not sure who this post is from but I assume Dawkinrocks.

If you read my reply carefully you will not that my original construction of God was my own not the Catholic Church. When I made the first decision of how to handle outside forces that could harm me I was not even a Catholic. Later I said my construction was in accordance to the core beliefes of the Catholic Church. It had nothing to do with how that church handle challenges during ts 2000 year history. There is no evidence that it invented slavery but it did take place in Catholic institutions. The Church alongside other churches were leaders in ending it.. Members took part in many other evils of these times, But where they were sins they were wrong and never approved by God . I have answer your objections in other posts. I am prepare to continue to do say if you produce evidence .
I would be more interested in why I should not believe in a God.

Steve
Steveox, Arabs or other Muslims dod not belive Mohammed is God. He is just a phophet. The same would Buddha, he never claimed to be God.

Werbung:
You just stated that it's logically impossible to prove non-existence but then go on to happily "say that x doesn't exist", your fallacious conclusion being that you see a lack of evidence for the existence of X as proof of what you just stated was logically impossible to prove... If the non-existence of X can never be logically proven, then it would never be logically sound to claim that X does not exist. Making an assumption either way on existence or non-existence is the same error in logic, it replaces actual facts with unsupportable opinion.

That is a false dilemma fallacy whereby you're offering only two possible options but both are a belief - positive or negative - and you're ignoring the possibility of at least one other option, the neutrality of having no belief either way.

I hope that by sailing right through the unassailable, you may come to realize that assuming the existence or non-existence of X - without proof - renders the conclusion, either way, as a belief and not as a fact.

Back