Why the Right hates the ACLU.....

pocketfullofshells

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
HELENA-WEST HELENA, Ark. - Officers armed with military rifles have been stopping and questioning passers-by in a neighborhood plagued by violence that's been under a 24-hour curfew for a week.
ADVERTISEMENT

On Tuesday, the Helena-West Helena City Council voted 9-0 to allow police to expand that program into any area of the city, despite a warning from a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas that the police stops were unconstitutional.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080813/ap_on_re_us/arkansas_town_curfew

For all the attacks the Right seems to have on teh ACLU, I wounder what it thinks about this case. To me its a clear violation of our Rights, and they even state that they are practicly in the interview....

Werbung:
HELENA-WEST HELENA, Ark. - Officers armed with military rifles have been stopping and questioning passers-by in a neighborhood plagued by violence that's been under a 24-hour curfew for a week.
ADVERTISEMENT

On Tuesday, the Helena-West Helena City Council voted 9-0 to allow police to expand that program into any area of the city, despite a warning from a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas that the police stops were unconstitutional.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080813/ap_on_re_us/arkansas_town_curfew

For all the attacks the Right seems to have on teh ACLU, I wounder what it thinks about this case. To me its a clear violation of our Rights, and they even state that they are practicly in the interview....

I think this is a violation of our rights too. and I hate the ACLU

If all the ACLU did was cases like this, I would call them hero's

its the other hundreds of disgusting things they do that make me hate them.

But I am glad they do at least a little good, like working on this case.

The ACLU is nothing more than a leftwing lawyers group posing as a civil liberties organization.

For the record the ACLU is a close second behind the NRA in my favorite civil liberties groups. :D

If the ACLU weren't so hypocritical I would support them, but they are entirely too selective in exactly what Civil Rights they choose to defend, and which they choose to ignore.

In this particular case, I think that the Helena City Council is in violation, but just barely. They could get the same results with minor changes to their methods, and there wouldn't be any Constitutional violations.

If the ACLU weren't so hypocritical I would support them, but they are entirely too selective in exactly what Civil Rights they choose to defend, and which they choose to ignore.

In this particular case, I think that the Helena City Council is in violation, but just barely. They could get the same results with minor changes to their methods, and there wouldn't be any Constitutional violations.

only barely? I think they flow past it, from the report sounds like that think they are in Iraq or somthing. and that crap about there is no reason to be out at x hour ...realy? how about jobs? I use to go shoot pool from 11-4am becuse worked late, and I walked there and back. Guess in his view that makes me a law breaker...shame on those of us who are night people with jobs that dont let us be done at 5.

only barely? I think they flow past it, from the report sounds like that think they are in Iraq or somthing. and that crap about there is no reason to be out at x hour ...realy? how about jobs? I use to go shoot pool from 11-4am becuse worked late, and I walked there and back. Guess in his view that makes me a law breaker...shame on those of us who are night people with jobs that dont let us be done at 5.

PFOS, I'm afraid you missed the point. A curfew is in no way un-constitutional, sorry, but there it is. Where they're messing up is by instituting it only in certain areas, rather than in the entire town, which I believe, if I read the story correctly, they are working on correcting. Anyone who works odd hours is exempted from any curfew unless it was during an emergency like in New Orleans following Katrina, in which case all businesses are told that they'll have to shut down for the duration.

I agree with the ACLU about 10% of the time...
aclu.jpg

The other 90% of the time, as someone else pointed out, they seem very selective in their outrage.

This is one of the reasons I HATE the ACLU

Great cartoon, dang you can find some good ones !

They defended a cross in a jar of urine as art...
pisschrist1.jpg

Yet...The same organization calls this "religiously intolerant" toward Muslims:
koranflush.jpg

There's nothing quite like selective censoring of first amendments rights...
Comedy Central couldn't show this:
sp-s10e04-censor.jpg

But they were allowed to show Kyle brutally slaying Jesus:
jew-kyle-kills-jesus.jpg

Which is the more tolerant?

Werbung:
They defended a cross in a jar of urine as art...
pisschrist1.jpg

Yet...The same organization calls this "religiously intolerant" toward Muslims:
koranflush.jpg

There's nothing quite like selective censoring of first amendments rights...
Comedy Central couldn't show this:
sp-s10e04-censor.jpg

But they were allowed to show Kyle brutally slaying Jesus:
jew-kyle-kills-jesus.jpg

Which is the more tolerant?

The left have drank far to much kool aid to ever be honest about the ACLU
even if the truth is right in front of their faces.

There was another thing they protected, a government funded art project of human crap rubbed all over a statue of Mary mother of Jesus. that was art and we had better protect it.

It is really hard for me to try and wrap a thought around how anyone could call that group good or decent or fair or anything other than something that should be trashed.

Back