Would you look the other way...in-order to keep your JOB?

ASPCA4EVER

Land of the JAYHAWKS-ROCK CHOCK Jayhawk, KU
Cemetery whistle-blower: ‘I ain’t a hero’

'I had my mouth closed too long,' he says of shady goings-on at Ill. site

APTRANS.gif

updated 2:50 p.m. CT, Tues., July 21, 2009

ALSIP, Ill. - Willie Esper was just trying to get better at his job as a gravedigger when he unearthed a scandal.
Loose bones kept turning up as he practiced digging holes with a backhoe in a supposedly unused section of Burr Oak Cemetery, a historic black graveyard near Chicago. Esper refused to keep his mouth shut about the grisly things he saw, leading to the arrest of four cemetery workers accused of digging up and dumping hundreds of bodies and reselling their plots.
"I ain't a hero," said the 26-year-old whistle-blower, who came to Burr Oak more than a year ago. "I had my mouth closed too long."

In his first interview since the macabre scandal broke two weeks ago, Esper said he didn't plan to make a big deal about what he had found until another worker told him he had better keep quiet if he wanted to keep putting food on the table for his baby boy. He said he got especially angry when the fellow black employee referred to Esper's mixed-race child as an "Oreo."
"I just got tired of people threatening me," Esper told The Associated Press.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32043382/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/?gt1=43001

Given this current 'economic fiasco' {8 years in the making} I don't think that I could blame this man for choosing to keep quiet...but given the nature of these events I sure wish he had been able to keep track of the names/dates/places that the dead were uprooted and dumped off site!!! But that would be expecting too much!

Werbung:
Unless you are self-employed, I have never seen a job where there was not some dishonesty integral to the business. It is human nature to rationalize any expedience of doing business. Humans are truly self-serving. Being a "team player", is an unpleasant requisite of the job that I could never master.
Whistle blowers have been the victims of the entity despite recent laws to protect them.

Unless you are self-employed, I have never seen a job where there was not some dishonesty integral to the business. It is human nature to rationalize any expedience of doing business. Humans are truly self-serving. Being a "team player", is an unpleasant requisite of the job that I could never master.
Whistle blowers have been the victims of the entity despite recent laws to protect them.

Good Point! And taking this story into consideration; one has the area/job availability to consider {jobs could be rare and hard to come by}, who will feed his family {his responsibilities} if he blows that whistle and then is fired or if he walks out for moral duties...these stories are rarely as simplistic as they sound on the surface...IMO

Man, you've been doing some old posting reading...what stirred this up for you??? anything you care to discuss?

OOps. I missed that it was old.

I was an administrator in a facility that helped people run just about any aspect of their lives. One of my clients was healthy and pregnant and her family decided that she should have a late term abortion.

It was legal but contrary to my conscience. I told my supervisor that I would be taking no action to further the process of the abortion and that any paperwork, etc. should be routed through someone else.

My wishes were respected except for one not very significant sheet that made it's way to my in box where it was ignored forever. I could have been fired had my supervisor not been understanding or if I had handled it poorly.

OOps. I missed that it was old.

I was an administrator in a facility that helped people run just about any aspect of their lives. One of my clients was healthy and pregnant and her family decided that she should have a late term abortion.

It was legal but contrary to my conscience. I told my supervisor that I would be taking no action to further the process of the abortion and that any paperwork, etc. should be routed through someone else.

My wishes were respected except for one not very significant sheet that made it's way to my in box where it was ignored forever. I could have been fired had my supervisor not been understanding or if I had handled it poorly.

No Foul - No Harm
I've been known to stroll through the archived topics just to see what has been chewed over many times and run into the ground, so I don't have to dredge it up again!

But your story brings to mind a moral dilemma about a Muslim working at a pharmacy and refusing to fill a prescription for birth control...I was surprised that it even made a media outlet...but the ACLO to involved and the issue became a nation wide 'water cooler' topic. This was several years ago :rolleyes:
But to me it shouldn't have been a news worthy issue...just step aside and allow one of the other pharmacist to fill the prescription. WTH was the big deal?

Werbung:
No Foul - No Harm
I've been known to stroll through the archived topics just to see what has been chewed over many times and run into the ground, so I don't have to dredge it up again!

But your story brings to mind a moral dilemma about a Muslim working at a pharmacy and refusing to fill a prescription for birth control...I was surprised that it even made a media outlet...but the ACLO to involved and the issue became a nation wide 'water cooler' topic. This was several years ago :rolleyes:
But to me it shouldn't have been a news worthy issue...just step aside and allow one of the other pharmacist to fill the prescription. WTH was the big deal?

Works for me. It is not like there are not a thousand other pharmacists and pharmacies.

Back