Zardari New Paistani President

Werbung:
...I can imagine may alternatives what can you imagine?

Well I can imagine many alternatives as well, none of them being very good in terms of US-Pakistani relations, or Indian-Pakistani relations either.

Pakistan being a nuclear power made it very important that at the very least a fundamental extremist government did not take over.

Zardari takes Pakistan's helm in mid-storm

Here's a taste of things to come Rob!

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - With Pakistan's economy tanking and a Taliban insurgency raging, new president Asif Ali Zardari must choose if the time is right to risk more instability by entering a confrontation with old rival Nawaz Sharif.

A new power struggle is about the last thing the West would want in a nuclear-armed Muslim state whose backing is central to defeating al Qaeda and helping NATO stabilise Afghanistan.

Zardari and Sharif formed a coalition this year aimed at booting former army chief Pervez Musharraf out of the presidency, but after accomplishing that last month, their alliance collapsed and Sharif became leader of the opposition.

If Zardari and others "have revenge in mind, then the game is lost before it is begun", concluded Ardeshir Cowasjee, one of Pakistan's most venerable columnists, in the Dawn newspaper on Sunday, a day after Zardari's election.

How he handles the reinstatement of judges dismissed by Musharraf last year will go some way to determining his credibility, as he has stalled on the issue so far.

Sharif, the prime minister who was overthrown by Musharraf, pulled his Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz) (PML-N) party out of the coalition because of Zardari's stalling on the question of the judiciary, just days after his usurper quit.

Eyes are now on Punjab, Pakistan's richest province, to see if Zardari tries to destabilise a PML-N provincial government.

catch the article here

Something is going to give in Pakistan soon and it ain't going to be pretty when it goes!

Werbung:
Re: Zardari takes Pakistan's helm in mid-storm

Here's a taste of things to come Rob!

catch the article here

Something is going to give in Pakistan soon and it ain't going to be pretty when it goes!

I think it all hinges on who can control the army. I would look to see the US staying out of most of it should Zardari be the one cracking down on people.

Expect a denouncement but not much else.

Back