Brexit takes its toll

Werbung:
Again the unemployment rate in the UK is 3.5% and it is 6% in the EU, 5.4% in Germany. It's 4.3% next door in Ireland which has been an enormous economic success story over the last 30 years. So where is all this damage?

Let's not forget there are some dogs in the EU. Countries with 2nd rate economies. Also you do not need to be part of that common market to trade with those countries the UK can still do that. The EU buys $500B in goods from China every year just as North America does and they are dependent on foreign oil and gas.

Werbung:
I'm going to use an American college football analogy that might apply.

In 2012 Texas A&M joined the Southeast conference. A brilliant move because it is the best conference in the country with the biggest stadiums. Since that move they expanded their stadium by 20,000 seats(82K to 102K). They increased their budget by 25% and started having regular top 10 recruiting classes something they rarely had in the Big 12 their former conference.

The genius of the move was that instead of being in a conference where they will always play 2nd fiddle to the University of Texas and have to compete with several Texas based team in the SEC they were the only Texas based team in the biggest conference and it made them special.

To be the only major economy in Europe that is not part of the EU makes the UK special. It gives them more flexibility. They are obviously drawn closer to the USA and Canada.

I'm sorry but I do not see how this hurts them. Given their unique history and their ties to the commonwealth of nations all over the world. We will see for sure in 20 years.

Back