Colin Powell to endorse Obama?

Popeye

It's been rumored for awhile, perhaps rumor is about to turn into reality.

Powell has made it clear that he has been thinking about an endorsement for a long time but wanted to hear more from the candidates before making his choice. It now seems beyond doubt that Colin Powell will endorse Barack Obama and thereby hammer the final nail in the coffin of the Republican campaign to hold onto the White House.

The recent ugliness of the McCain-Palin rally audiences cannot be lost on Colin Powell. And Powell is not one to ignore a 14 point lead in a New York Times poll. But most important for Powell and the press will be his explicit rejection of the Bush-McCain approach to Iraq, Iran and the rest of the world.

Powell's endorsement will be perfectly timed to dominate a news cycle or two. It will give Obama the one thing he still needs more of--credibility as Commander-In-Chief. And Sarah Palin's speechwriters will be hard pressed to come up with a condescending quip about it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lawrence-odonnell/colin-powell-is-ready-to_b_134777.html

Werbung:
A liberal with an "affirmative action" "career" like Obama? Who would be surprised? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't just just shrug this off if I were you.... a great many people respect Powell. His approval ratings have consistently been high and have shown he would make formidable presidential candidate. His endorsement would be a great triumph for Obama and as the article states would be "the final nail in the coffin" for McCain.

No doubt, this has been rumored for several months. Hopefully this time it will come to fruition.

Here, I did you favor...your favorite news source Faux News and their somewhat odd take ( I don't know what Powell's dancing has to do with it) on the subject:

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/15/colin-powell-fuels-speculation-possible-endorsement/

LOL that is a cute dance

Powell endorsing him won’t bother me at all. I don’t consider Powell a conservative so it seems normal for him to endorse Obama, but another African American conservative endorsed him and that did bother me. Race before political beliefs? That does not set right with me.

I am native and I only know of one native I would ever endorse to be in office because he is also conservative not because he is native. Most natives bother me and I feel sorrier for them than anything else. I wouldn’t jump into the trash they do just because they are native like me, and that’s how I felt about the conservative guy (who I can not remember his name) but he endorsed Obama.

But Powell, more power to him. Its no compromise for him to do it, he is not really in the right party for his political beliefs anyways... :) I can imagine African American men must be very proud of Obama if for nothing else, he was able to come so much further than any of them thought he could.

I wouldn't just just shrug this off if I were you.... a great many people respect Powell. His approval ratings have consistently been high and have shown he would make formidable presidential candidate. His endorsement would be a great triumph for Obama and as the article states would be "the final nail in the coffin" for McCain.

Powell would make a formidable candidate, just not on the Republican ticket. His time at State really got him alienated from the Republican establishment for a variety of different reasons.

I respect the guy, but I could never vote for him as President given many of his foreign policy stances.

Snowball_Obama_160.gif

Just like Buckley leaving Darth Cheney and the Dark Side to join the Jedi....
The Empire Strikes Barack:

I wouldn't just just shrug this off if I were you.... a great many people respect Powell.

A great many people don't know what they're talking about - just like with Obama, Powell is treated like one notch below Mother Teresa by the lib media, so the simple-minded just concur he must be a great person. Except for Obama, there can be no clearer illustration of the insanity of "affirmative action". Powell's endless career track upward, inspite of repeated failings, including his connection with the vietnam My Lai Massacre and his failure to check the evidence carefully about WMDs that was the basis for the Iraq war, shows that for "AA" beneficiaries, repeated failure or lack of achievement is no impediment to moving up in the world.

His approval ratings have consistently been high and have shown he would make formidable presidential candidate. His endorsement would be a great triumph for Obama and as the article states would be "the final nail in the coffin" for McCain.

That is probably true, but all it proves is there are very many simple-minded and gullible people in this country.

I have a great deal of respect for Colin Powell. There was a time he, himself could have been President. He has for the most part served this country well, and still has credibility in many issues with me.
I think the most important issue for me, is not so much that he would be endorsing Barak Obama, but rejecting John McCain.

I have a great deal of respect for Colin Powell. There was a time he, himself could have been President. He has for the most part served this country well, and still has credibility in many issues with me.
I think the most important issue for me, is not so much that he would be endorsing Barak Obama, but rejecting John McCain.

Colin powell isn't good enough to shine McCain's shoes, and you obviously need to read up on powell's past.

Colin powell isn't good enough to shine McCain's shoes, and you obviously need to read up on powell's past.
Having read his autobiography, and generally following his doings since about 1990...what do you want to talk about?

What part of his past are you suggesting?

Having read his autobiography, and generally following his doings since about 1990...what do you want to talk about?

What part of his past are you suggesting?

Uh, I sugest something more objective than his autobiography, and I already mentioned two things in this thread.

1. His failure to track down the source of and evaluate the evidence of WMDs in iraq before going to the UN.

2. Re the My Lai massacre: (from wiki)

During the Vietnam War, Powell .... served as the executive officer for the Americal Division (23rd Infantry Division), then as the assistant chief of staff of operations for the Americal Division. In that post, he was charged with investigating a detailed letter by Tom Glen (a soldier from the 11th Light Infantry Brigade), which backed up rumored allegations of the My Lai Massacre. Powell wrote: "In direct refutation of this portrayal is the fact that relations between Americal soldiers and the Vietnamese people are excellent." Later, Powell's assessment would be described as whitewashing the news of the massacre, and questions would continue to remain undisclosed to the public.

Werbung:
Uh, I sugest something more objective than his autobiography
I have read other things as well, I have seen the man speak actually. At Elmendorf AFB in 1997.

Before I address the issues below, I find it comical you are questioning him on the two issues the left generally brings up. :D
1. His failure to track down the source of and evaluate the evidence of WMDs in iraq before going to the UN.
Huh? This is your critique? That is the job of the CIA. While the SecState and the Dicrector of the CIA work closely together, it is the job of the CIA to already provide accurate intel to State.
2. Re the My Lai massacre: (from wiki)
He didnt pull the trigger, he didnt order anyone to do anything. It didnt even happen when he was in Vietnam. He wrote a letter basically telling an enlisted man to mind his own business. He wasnt involved in any serious cover up. I think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion.

Back