1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Colin Powell to endorse Obama?

Discussion in 'Elections & Political Parties' started by Popeye, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

It's been rumored for awhile, perhaps rumor is about to turn into reality.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lawrence-odonnell/colin-powell-is-ready-to_b_134777.html

2. Libsmasher

Libsmasher New Member

A liberal with an "affirmative action" "career" like Obama? Who would be surprised? :rolleyes:

3. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

I wouldn't just just shrug this off if I were you.... a great many people respect Powell. His approval ratings have consistently been high and have shown he would make formidable presidential candidate. His endorsement would be a great triumph for Obama and as the article states would be "the final nail in the coffin" for McCain.

4. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

Didnt you post this topic a couple of months ago?

5. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

6. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

LOL that is a cute dance

Powell endorsing him won’t bother me at all. I don’t consider Powell a conservative so it seems normal for him to endorse Obama, but another African American conservative endorsed him and that did bother me. Race before political beliefs? That does not set right with me.

I am native and I only know of one native I would ever endorse to be in office because he is also conservative not because he is native. Most natives bother me and I feel sorrier for them than anything else. I wouldn’t jump into the trash they do just because they are native like me, and that’s how I felt about the conservative guy (who I can not remember his name) but he endorsed Obama.

But Powell, more power to him. Its no compromise for him to do it, he is not really in the right party for his political beliefs anyways... :) I can imagine African American men must be very proud of Obama if for nothing else, he was able to come so much further than any of them thought he could.

7. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

Powell would make a formidable candidate, just not on the Republican ticket. His time at State really got him alienated from the Republican establishment for a variety of different reasons.

I respect the guy, but I could never vote for him as President given many of his foreign policy stances.

8. top gun

top gun New Member

9. GenSeneca

GenSeneca Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The Empire Strikes Barack:

10. Libsmasher

Libsmasher New Member

A great many people don't know what they're talking about - just like with Obama, Powell is treated like one notch below Mother Teresa by the lib media, so the simple-minded just concur he must be a great person. Except for Obama, there can be no clearer illustration of the insanity of "affirmative action". Powell's endless career track upward, inspite of repeated failings, including his connection with the vietnam My Lai Massacre and his failure to check the evidence carefully about WMDs that was the basis for the Iraq war, shows that for "AA" beneficiaries, repeated failure or lack of achievement is no impediment to moving up in the world.

That is probably true, but all it proves is there are very many simple-minded and gullible people in this country.

11. Bunz

Bunz New Member

I have a great deal of respect for Colin Powell. There was a time he, himself could have been President. He has for the most part served this country well, and still has credibility in many issues with me.
    I think the most important issue for me, is not so much that he would be endorsing Barak Obama, but rejecting John McCain.

12. Libsmasher

Libsmasher New Member

Colin powell isn't good enough to shine McCain's shoes, and you obviously need to read up on powell's past.

13. Bunz

Bunz New Member

Having read his autobiography, and generally following his doings since about 1990...what do you want to talk about?

What part of his past are you suggesting?

14. Libsmasher

Libsmasher New Member

Uh, I sugest something more objective than his autobiography, and I already mentioned two things in this thread.

1. His failure to track down the source of and evaluate the evidence of WMDs in iraq before going to the UN.

2. Re the My Lai massacre: (from wiki)

15. Bunz

Bunz New Member

I have read other things as well, I have seen the man speak actually. At Elmendorf AFB in 1997.

Before I address the issues below, I find it comical you are questioning him on the two issues the left generally brings up. :D
    Huh? This is your critique? That is the job of the CIA. While the SecState and the Dicrector of the CIA work closely together, it is the job of the CIA to already provide accurate intel to State.
    He didnt pull the trigger, he didnt order anyone to do anything. It didnt even happen when he was in Vietnam. He wrote a letter basically telling an enlisted man to mind his own business. He wasnt involved in any serious cover up. I think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion.