1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Conservatives: Single-Largest Ideological Group

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by GenSeneca, Jun 15, 2009.

1. GenSeneca

GenSeneca Well-Known Member

It appears as though the numbers of both Conservatives and Liberals have grown roughly 4% since the nineties but the Conservatives are still double that of self identified Liberals:

Even in the kook fringes of extreme right and left, the Very Conservative group comes in at 9% while Very Liberal comes in at just 5%.

2. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

Found a couple interesting things at the link you provided, and it's not good news for the GOP. First off, 22% of Democrats describe themselves as "conservative" compared to only 3% of Republicans saying they are "liberal" ...and then we have this:

3. samsara15

samsara15 Member

I have a hard time with your view of the fringes. That's lot of people to be labeling as fringes. What makes you think that you, or all of us here, don't fall into that category? Could a person be moderate, but more radical, in practice, than someone on the fringes, in terms of taking action on their beliefs?

4. top gun

top gun New Member

The great thing you're trying to point out then is that President Obama's big time numbers in his election must mean even a more huge number of self identified Independents & Moderates went his way and are in agreement with his vision.

COOL!

[​IMG]

5. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

A couple of questions come to mind reading that poll:

How did we manage to elect the most liberal president and Congress in recent memory, and

Did they define what they meant by "conservative" and "liberal"?

6. Bunz

Bunz New Member

Hmm...interesting. Although I shouldnt say that I am all that surprised. Considering the survey is based on what people put themselves into one of 5 categories.

This sort of self reporting is always questionable. Hell the amount of actually elected officials who claim to be Conservative far out weigh those who actually vote Conservative.

The other thing is that I think most of use are not as easily pidgeon holed into one single group. Personally I like to think of myself as more pragmatic than anything. I am for spending where needed, but dislike waste. I support the 2nd amendment and Rowe V Wade. I like President Obama, but also have voted for a number of Republicans. I support drilling in ANWR, but am vehemetly opposed to the proposed Pebble Mine.

I think bailing out GM was necessary, but cant stand the fact that the Saudi's and Chinese own us.

7. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

What amateurish-spin. :rolleyes:

There's a significant-difference, between Conservatives & "...political views as conservative...".

Maybe Porky Limbaugh is hiring interns. You should look-into-it.​

8. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

That's the tricky-thing, about the term conservative.

GenSeneca is (obviously) unaware of the difference, between:

conservative, as an adjective: b: marked by moderation or caution

.....and conservative, as a noun: b: a member or supporter of a conservative political party.​