1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Dallas hospital cares for illegal immigrants

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by KeepOurFreedoms, Jul 22, 2007.

1. KeepOurFreedoms

KeepOurFreedoms New Member

Dallas hospital cares for illegal immigrants
    But it's U.S. taxpayers who are footing the multi-million-dollar bill

By Don Teague
    Correspondent
    NBC News
    Updated: 5:35 p.m. CT Aug 3, 2006

Don Teague
    Correspondent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DALLAS - Parkland Memorial Hospital — the same iconic institution where doctors tried to save John F. Kennedy in 1963 — is today where tens of thousands of illegal immigrants receive taxpayer subsidized care.

“Whether they come from this country or somewhere else, doesn’t matter how I treat them,” says Richard Benson, a doctor at Parkland Hospital.

The most common patients here are expectant mothers. Each year about 16,000 babies are born at Parkland. The hospital estimates about 70 percent of them are delivered by undocumented mothers.

Among the new mothers is a woman who didn't want to be identified — an illegal immigrant from Mexico. Her medical bills will run more than $6,000.

But with no insurance, Parkland — a public hospital — is forced to cover the cost.

“We have to figure out how to continue to deal with this because it’s very difficult to fund it,” says Parkland President Dr. Ron Anderson.

Anderson says the cost of treating undocumented immigrants — millions of dollars each year — is unsustainable.

Still, he says, his hospital will never turn away patients.

“You are going to make some awful mistakes when you decide that one person is worthy and one person isn’t worthy,” Anderson says.

But 30 miles away, a Fort Worth public hospital is making those decisions, requiring patients to prove they're here legally before picking up the tab for non-emergency treatment.

“In some cases, you can’t afford 100 percent subsidized care to everyone that walks in here,” Robert Earley with John Peter Smith Hospital says.

The decision has drawn fire from Hispanic rights groups and people like Dominga Valderama, with her newborn baby at Parkland. She's a U.S. citizen, but has undocumented relatives.

"Can you put a price on someone’s health, put a price on a baby’s life?” says Valderama. “Everyone’s entitled to basic rights.”

But who should pay?

That’s a question one of the nation's top public hospitals is struggling to answer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14172601/

2. Rick

Rick Active Member

Hospitals EVERYWHERE give free care to illegal aliens. I once went to the emergency room with a bout of acute gastroenteritis. I had to wait for an hour, in pain clutching my guts, behind two perfectly healthy illegal alien women who were there for prenatal checkups for their "anchor" babies. The unpaid costs are shifted to US citizen patients with insurance, making their deductables and premiums go up. There are about four trauma centers that have closed in Los Angeles because they essentially have been bankrupted by non-paying illegal aliens.

3. bokile

bokile New Member

Yes

That is how real Christians should behave. God bless people who work there in Dallas hospital:)

You two do not complain that your tax money is used to kill innocents in the Middle East???:( :eek:

4. KeepOurFreedoms

5. Segep

Segep Member

Why does expressing approval that a hospital didn't turn human beings away to die necessarily equate to hating Americans?

I can't stand those kinds of debate tactics. Not only are they lame and transparent, but they are extremely dishonest. Go team.

6. bokile

bokile New Member

yes

7. Coyote

Coyote Active Member

Should anyone who is sick and in need be turned away?

8. KeepOurFreedoms

9. Coyote

Coyote Active Member

Should anyone who is sick and in need be turned away?

10. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

The unfortunate thing is that if they keep this up they will go out of business and then they won't be treating anybody.

But none of us want to see people suffering. What do we do?

First, I have no problem with treating illegal aliens if they have insurance.

Secondly, since Mexico wants to be friendly with us I would tell them they have to pay for these people from their country or we close our borders and change our immigration policies.

11. Coyote

Coyote Active Member

So....some sick or dying people should be turned away? I wonder if doctors, who swear upon a certain oath, feel that way.

I'd say we treat them because to do otherwise would be to value money over compassion.

12. FRYandBENDER

FRYandBENDER New Member

We can treat them, and then make them do odd jobs around the hospital to pay off their debt.:)

13. bokile

bokile New Member

hahaha

14. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

Do your feet hurt from jumping to so many conclusions?

I said: If they have insurance they should be treated if not then their country of origin should foot the bill. What part of "Mexico should pay for it" tells you that I think they should be let to die?

Re: the 50 mil Americans without insurance. They have health care so they don't really need insurance do they?

15. bokile

bokile New Member

hahaa

No, I have Nike’s 360s…

What you wrote was: First, I have no problem with treating illegal aliens if they have insurance.It makes anyone think that you support treating patients ONLY if they have health insurance. Rest of them can die, or simply said not be treated at hospital :eek: :confused:

I wouldn’t agree that they do not need insurance but still should receive medical help, and that puts them in the same basket with refugees.

Please do not write aliens, they look human to me. Maybe there are some aliens living on Mars, just not discovered yet, who knows…:D