Did Bill Clinton Lose Nuclear Launch Code?

Werbung:
Remember when he allowed Loral corp to divulge classified missile secrets in return for campaign contributions?

Clinton losing the nuclear codes, is hardly news. Lt. Col. Robert Patterson is one of the Air Force officers who regularly carried "the football" (electronic briefcase enabling the President to launch nuclear missiles) for Pres. Clinton, and whose duty was to swap out the card the President carried with a new one with updated nuclear codes.

After years in the Clinton administration, he wrote a book called "Dereliction of Duty", in which he detailed Clinton's misplacing of the nuclear-code card, and his utter astonishment that the President regarded the loss so casually.

The book was published in 2003.

Is the media only just finding out about this now???

On occasion the President has left his aide carrying the football behind. This happened to Presidents Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, George H. W. Bush[8] and, most recently, Bill Clinton on April 24, 1999.[7] In none of these cases was the integrity of the football breached. The football was separated from Ronald Reagan immediately after the 1981 assassination attempt against him....."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football

so not only did all of these presidents misplace a card...they misplaced the guy with the suitcase that makes the card worth anything....

somehow I think if this was a big deal...they would have found some magic way to get him a new card if needed? just a thought.

But I am sure thoughts will not be apart of the right wing I hate Clinton fest...facts and hypocrisy never do...

also the cold war is over, get over it....you realy think someone is going to launch a ICMB with nukes at us? realy? your way to paranoid.

On occasion the President has left his aide carrying the football behind.
The reason there's a MAN carrying the "football", is because it's the man's job to stay close to the President. Not the President's job to stay close to the man.

All clear now? Can we end the latest Romper Room session?

they would have found some magic way to get him a new card if needed? just a thought.
That's about the level of "thought" I'd expect from someone who can't spell ICBM, much less appreciate the real possibility that someone might launch one at us.

Or appreciate that the President must have that card INSTANTLY available to him, 24/7/365, since if some country does what POS believes they won't, there will be maybe 5 minutes for him to respond correctly... and he really shouldn't spend that 5 minutes sifting through the last five pairs of pants he wore... or maybe checking the intern he left his cigars in... or discussing with various aides how to activate the nation's weapons without it.

POS and his friends never got out of Romper Room. I see..... POS, Shaman, Top Gun...

also the cold war is over, get over it....you realy think someone is going to launch a ICMB with nukes at us? realy? your way to paranoid.

I am a little surprised that someone who purports to have an understanding of foreign policy issues would think the only manner in which the codes (and the man with the briefcase) would be needed is if someone "launched an ICBM with nukes at us."

I am a little surprised that someone who purports to have an understanding of foreign policy issues would think the only manner in which the codes (and the man with the briefcase) would be needed is if someone "launched an ICBM with nukes at us."

I don't see any time we will be firing Nukes at at anyone, for any reason...the most probable attack on the US using Nuclear weapons to need such a response, would most likely be small, by a terror cell...with no real target to nuke back with our launch codes. The only real impact that suitcase has, is mental. Use of football for really any reason to launch a nuclear attack...is pretty much the end of the world in any sense how we know it anyway...Its cold war thinking in my view.

What wrong POS? Can't stand a little humor while you're constantly pulling speculation out of your ass? Lol.

I don't see any time we will be firing Nukes at at anyone, for any reason...

Why not? I can see scenarios.

the most probable attack on the US using Nuclear weapons to need such a response, would most likely be small, by a terror cell...with no real target to nuke back with our launch codes. The only real impact that suitcase has, is mental. Use of football for really any reason to launch a nuclear attack...is pretty much the end of the world in any sense how we know it anyway...Its cold war thinking in my view.

A nuclear exchange it not the end of the world automatically. If our nuclear deterrent is to be viewed as credible by the world (and it is increasing not viewed that way), the President has to have the ability to use that deterrent at any time, or the whole deterrent mind as well not exist.

Werbung:
Why not? I can see scenarios.

A nuclear exchange it not the end of the world automatically. If our nuclear deterrent is to be viewed as credible by the world (and it is increasing not viewed that way), the President has to have the ability to use that deterrent at any time, or the whole deterrent mind as well not exist.

give me a example of a likely event where the President must launch the nukes, and it does not end with earth being drastically changed ( I did not say ended...though possible of course, but the results for the environment would be staggering and would change the world even with a mid level exchange.

even small scale nuclear attack, more then likely spirals out of control, or at least has the very high risk to do so. Drop one on Iran to stop there nukes ( outside of the hypocrisy of a first strike with nukes to say you should not have nukes, its dangerous) the Iran response is of course attacks on Israel from Lebanon, and the Arab states while they may have been happy to see Iran without the nuke, can't take the internal pressure that would mount to help Lebanon attack the Zionist state and puppet of the US who just nuked and killed many Muslims .

do I see a possible attack on Iran, maybe...but not a nuclear one.

Also to be a Deterrent, someone also has to be willing and able to fire the first shot...even with no nukes, name one nation that would think it would survive that first shot against the US, and not have our conventional forces level the nation.

Back