1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Disturbing news from Pakistan

Discussion in 'World Politics' started by PLC1, Jan 25, 2009.

1. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

In Pakistan, Radio Amplifies Terror of Taliban

The Taliban is carrying on a campaign of terror in Pakistan and imposing a society that goes beyond Orwellian. It is getting stronger, while the military and police are unable to do anything to effectively stop them.

Pakistan, as you probably know, is an ally in the US "war on terror", as well as a nuclear power. It also is unable to control large parts of its territory.

Scary stuff!

2. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

I am sure obama will be able to fix it. just have hope and believe

3. PLC1

If he can convince the Pakistanis to allow foreign troops in to Pakistan to rout out the Taliban, maybe as a coalition with Pakistani troops, he could at least diffuse the situation.

Obama says he likes to use diplomacy, after all, and diplomacy is certainly called for in this situation, don't you think?

4. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

Yes I agree we need a coalition with Pakistani troops, I will be impressed with obama if he is able to get a real one. I think he can get all the right people to stand for a photo op but I dont know if he can get a "real" coalition.

5. PLC1

I don't either, but we're likely to find out pretty soon. I'm pretty sure he has a better chance than his predecessor would have had, though.

This just might be that international challenge that Biden predicted, and it's a doozy. Pakistan really does have weapons of mass destruction, as well as more than enough terrorists to make Iraq look downright benign.

A Taliban controlled Pakistan is absolutely not acceptable.