Drinking Age

Brandon

In the same vein as the age of consent thread, this one is about the drinking ages through-out the world.

I personally don't mind it being 21 or 18. I can see why the U.S government increased it many years ago. My only problem is that Americans can sign up or be enlisted to fight and die for America, but can't have a beer. To me that is crap.

This isn't a U.S only thread either. If you feel that Europe's, Asia's, Australia's, etc... laws are to lax or prohibitive, please chime in.

Werbung:
Your argument (being able to serve the country but not have a beer) is the argument I cite whenever asked about it. I honestly don't think the law does much at all to deter drinking. I mean, I go to college...we are notorious for heavy partying/drinking. It still happens: there are fake IDs and older friends who can easily get alcohol for anyone underage.

The weirdest experience was when I spent a month abroad. I was legal to drink there, but then I came back to the US and had to wait a month before I could legally drink.

I would agree with you both 100% on this issue. If you are considered old enough to go fight for your country then you should be old enough to a beer.
As for the fake ID's I agree with you that kids have these nowadays. Heck I had them years ago also. But anymore you almost don't even need them because alot of places around me don't even check peoples ID's anymore. It is almost like why even bother having the law then.

That has always been my feelings too. Especially back when I was a young kid and I had friends whose older brothers were being drafted. They were old enoough to take on the very adult matter of becoming soldiers, but they were not old enough to enjoy the adult privileges of having a beer, voting and in some states the ability to marry before they were 21. The idea of on the one hand expecting someone to perfomrone task as an adult but conduct themselves as a minor in all other matters never seemed fair to me.

I too think that if you can kill while being an 18 year old soldier, then you can drink too!
Here in Europe, at least in Germany and Spain, drinking age in bars is 18, but most kids already drink at home since they are 14 or maybe less, because so many people are used to drinking wine, and make their own wine. I haven't seen here the crazy frenzy of teenagers wanting to get drunk, much less the "spring Break drunks". They don't abuse it as muchl.

I, personally, think the age should be 16. Let people get it out of their systems while they still have parental supervision! Also, with tougher drunk driving laws, they should have the bejesus scared out of them enough to not drink and drive either.

I know some cultures allow children to begin drinking wine at a much earlier age, and I think Beer is as common as water in Germany. Personally, I didn't even TASTE anything alcoholic until the March before my 21st birthday. It wasn't a big deal to me, I didn't really care if I drank or not.

I remember some of my friends who had to sneak around to drink just completely lost interst once they were of legal age. Once drinking was no longer legally verboten, the mystique just faded away.

I remember some of my friends who had to sneak around to drink just completely lost interst once they were of legal age. Once drinking was no longer legally verboten, the mystique just faded away.

I'll Drink to that! I always drank more when I was underage, now I could care less.

There is always more intrigue and seduction towards something that is forbiden. My best friend has 2 kids, and she has allow them to drink wine since they were 14 at home. They don't really like it, but will have a little every once in a while. Same thing with beer, although since the parents are more wine drinkers, that's what they prefer too. Neither of them is too much into drinking, because they know if they want, they can have it with their parents. I had my first alcohol drink with my mom, I was 14, and we were on vacation. I had a Piña Colada.

My only problem is that Americans can sign up or be enlisted to fight and die for America, but can't have a beer. To me that is crap.

Definitely a valid argument, though there are two solutions. You could lower the drinking age, or raise the enlistment age. Volunteering to kill/be killed is the most adult decision anyone could ever make. Once someone can make that decision, there should be no other decisions barred from them.

Personally I think the US is a little prudish about drinking (and any sin chemical really) Most countries in Europe that have much lower drinking ages have equal or lower rates of alcoholism. Whats the harm?

Werbung:
In the UK the law is totally disregared anyway and you can witness massive underage piss ups sprawling over parks and town centres.

Back