Gerrymandering in Wisconsin

Well, not as long as the Repugnant ones have control. However, it is obvious you didn't read the articles I posted or else you would not sound so ignorant.

And yes Robbie, gerrymandering can be used to prevent others from voting.

Do you believe that the Congressional maps drawn in states like Oregon, Nevada, Maryland, New Mexico are fair?

Werbung:
Do you believe that the Congressional maps drawn in states like Oregon, Nevada, Maryland, New Mexico are fair?

I haven't seen them, however, I haven't heard of any Republicans challenging them. And Oregon, especially Multnomah County the largest in the State, is highly Democratic.

http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.ssf/2017/10/democratic_oregon_is_part_of_g.html

Oregon typically isn’t considered one of the states where gerrymandering is a problem. But the state’s 18.9 percent efficiency-gap advantage for the Democrats does give the party one extra congressional seat, according to Azavea. Some reformers say the efficiency gap should be kept at or below seven percentage points.

Oregon Democrats have four seats in the U.S. House of Representatives to one for the Republicans, which is 80 percent of the congressional seats with 58 percent of the vote.

Oregon has the fourth strongest efficiency-gap state advantage favoring Democrats and ranks 11th overall.

The five states with the strongest partisan efficiency-gap advantage all favor Republicans.

I haven't seen them, however, I haven't heard of any Republicans challenging them. And Oregon, especially Multnomah County the largest in the State, is highly Democratic.

http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.ssf/2017/10/democratic_oregon_is_part_of_g.html

Oregon typically isn’t considered one of the states where gerrymandering is a problem. But the state’s 18.9 percent efficiency-gap advantage for the Democrats does give the party one extra congressional seat, according to Azavea. Some reformers say the efficiency gap should be kept at or below seven percentage points.

Oregon Democrats have four seats in the U.S. House of Representatives to one for the Republicans, which is 80 percent of the congressional seats with 58 percent of the vote.

Oregon has the fourth strongest efficiency-gap state advantage favoring Democrats and ranks 11th overall.

The five states with the strongest partisan efficiency-gap advantage all favor Republicans.

So...am I to take away that the lines drawn by states controlled by Democrats in the state legislature are acceptable?

Do you believe the lines in Texas are acceptable?

Well, now the Republicans will whine like the babies they are:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pennsylvania-supreme-court-issues-congressional-200651169.html

Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court on Monday issued a new congressional map to replace the state’s current one, which the court said is so partisan it violates the state’s Constitution.

The Supreme Court drew the map after Republican lawmakers and Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf (D) failed to come up with an agreement by the Feb. 15 deadline.

"In April, Janet Protasiewicz, a circuit-court judge in Milwaukee, was elected to the Wisconsin Supreme Court, shifting its balance of power to a 4–3 liberal majority. Her victory holds enormous implications for abortion rights, labor unions, voting rights, and, perhaps, the integrity of the 2024 Presidential election. Protasiewicz’s place on the court might also mean the end of the extreme partisan gerrymandering that for the past twelve years has made Republican control of the Wisconsin statehouse virtually impregnable. The issue was central to Protasiewicz’s campaign; at a candidate forum, she called the state’s district maps “rigged.” “They do not reflect people in this state,” she said. “I can’t tell you what I would do on a particular case, but I can tell you my values. And the maps are wrong.” She later said that she would “enjoy taking a fresh look at the gerrymandering question.” Protasiewicz won by eleven points, a landslide in Wisconsin.

Her comments enraged Republicans, who are now threatening to impeach Protasiewicz if she does not recuse herself from two lawsuits challenging the maps."

How comes that in a state where the Democrats have 50% of the votes the Republicans have 65% of the seats? To gain control of the State Assembly, the authors of a study estimate, Wisconsin Democrats would have to beat Republicans by 8 to 10 points, a margin rarely achieved in statewide elections by either party.

Now the United States Supreme Court is trying to understand how that happened.

Gerrymandering today works highly effective, supported by sophisticated software. In a gerrymandered map, you concentrate opposing voters in a few districts where you lose big, and win the rest by modest margins. Software helps to generate thousands of maps to find the right one.

Ever think it's because some democrats have soured with their state democrat candidate's for what ever reason.
Just because a state has x percentage of one party more then the others is kinda mote point. Do not forget the same nation that elected Trump a republican over a democrat then 4 years after that reversed it's pick .
I doubt if democrats were breeding more that just happened to become voting age over those 4 years.
While I have mostly voted republican for president except one time in local and state it depends on how they address local issues and state that affect me directly not just in line with a political party.
Here's one possible that could affect some of that difference.
Democrats are mostly anti gun but the state is a state that's big on hunting and fishing and outdoor activities guns included.

Werbung:
"The Wisconsin Supreme Court justice who Republicans are threatening to impeach over comments she made on the campaign trail about abortion and redistricting isn’t the first member of the court to offer public opinions about major issues of the day.

One
conservative justice frequently spoke out in favor of gun rights during her campaign, even producing a political mailer showing her brandishing a shotgun and wearing a hat promoting the NRA. Another had previously called Planned Parenthood, a frequent litigant in abortion cases, a “wicked organization.”

And a former
conservative justice faced a barrage of criticism after a campaign filled with misleading information about crime that raised questions about whether he could be impartial in cases involving criminal defendants.

An Associated Press review of previous campaigns and public statements by Wisconsin Supreme Court candidates reveals that
both conservatives and liberals have weighed in on topics that could come before the court, sometimes in strikingly strong language. Despite that record, this is the first time Republicans who have controlled the state Legislature for a dozen years have proposed impeaching a justice."

Back