1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Gettin' "Hip" With Faux Noise!!

Discussion in 'Elections & Political Parties' started by Mr. Shaman, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

"Frank Luntz noted: "What is different between younger and older voters is the language. Young voters want to be talked to at their level. They want somebody who's hip. They want someone who's got the language down, who might even say to a kid 'Yo, dude!' You say 'Yo, dude!' to a senior, you've lost their vote."

Luntz's implication is that somehow the younger generation can't have an educated discussion with an older person unless it is peppered with street slang and hip-hop jargon."

2. USMC the Almighty

USMC the Almighty New Member

Lunz is, in all likelihood, the best person on political language in the U.S. I trust his analysis over anyone elses.

3. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

Of course you do, because he's a Republican. I don't doubt his expertise, but his slant is obvious and a problem.

4. USMC the Almighty

How does what party he work for have anything to do with his analysis? Most Democrats acknowledge that he is the best at what he does. It was either John Kerry or Al Gore who said that their party terribly needed their own Frank Luntz.

5. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

I've heard him handicapping various election races at times, and he always puts the Republican in the best light. Considering he almost exclusively works for Republicans, I can't blame him, but his views have to be taken with a grain of salt.

6. Bunz

Bunz New Member

His skill aside, on the issue of young voters wanting more hip-hop lingo in politics is simply not true in my experience. Being young myself(26) and quite politically active in my community, It would generally turn me off from a candidate if they took up those lines. I think more important the words being used, is how they are used and that it appears sincere and real. If any of the front runners, Obama included, were to say fo-shizzle or something similar in a public setting thier campaign would come to an end quicker than throwing a car into 1st gear while going 50.

7. USMC the Almighty

Like the title of one of Luntz's books contends, "it's not what you say, it's what people hear".

8. Bunz

Bunz New Member

Even for a jar headed devil dog, your not too dumb. I would encourage anyone to look up British transvestite comedian Eddie Izzard and his bit on this sort of thing. It is quite funny. Something along the lines of %10 what you say, %40 of how you look when you say it, and %50 how you say it.
    It was from his HBO special circa 2000. Despite my inability to do so, Id imagine one can stream it from youtube.

9. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

.....And, you don't see any conflict between that sentiment, and....."Young voters want to be talked to at their level. They want somebody who's hip. They want someone who's got the language down, who might even say to a kid 'Yo, dude!'"? :confused:

In what political-event do you envision hearing a candidate say "Yo! Yo! Yo! RUDY'S in-da-house!!!"

10. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

Frank Luntz has once again demonstrated his bias, a bias so extreme, it negates anything he has to say.
    http://www.newshounds.us/2007/12/14...ely_alleges_democrats_dont_believe_in_god.php