1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Had an interesting conversation about Hollands health care

Discussion in 'Health' started by Petunia, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Petunia

Petunia New Member

Wasn't sure where to put this, so feel free to move it where it needs to be..or merge it, or whatever!

Last weekend I was out doing door to door campaigning, a tv crew came to interview & do a segment on the "get out to vote" campaign, they were from Holland & it would be aired on Dutch TV.

Anyway, I got to talking with them about their health care system. They pay 53% income tax, 19% sales tax, and after their system failed horribly, they now are paying premiums for their insurance, for the gentleman I talked to, he pays $200 a month for a single person, I'd guess he is in his 30's. It took many years of struggling with lack of Drs., no appts available, all the problems Canada has, but they did straighten that out. But given how much taxation & out of pocket they have, is it any less of a burden financially on the consumer?

They also have extreme taxation on gasoline, not sure how much goes right to taxes, but they are paying $10 a gallon of gas.

2. palerider

palerider Well-Known Member

There is a reason that the average "poor" person here has a higher standard of living than the average middle class earner in europe.

3. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

Well Joe Biden would call them some real patriotic people :)

4. PredFan

PredFan New Member

Government run healthcare would be a disaster for this country, rich and poor alike.

5. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

72% taxation!? :eek: Before paying outrageous gas taxes? What do they live on in Holland?

Maybe with taxes that high, we could actually balance the budget in this country, instead of simply printing money.

I wonder just what our tax rate would be if we added federal, state, and inflation caused by deficit spending? Maybe we're paying that much too, and just don't realize it.