Hi from Helicitor

Helicitor

Hi! I'm a free thinker who is looking for reasoned debate. This looks like a good site. I hope to engage and learn from you all.

Helicity is a measure of the vertical shear within the atmosphere. Understanding this structure can help determine whether a thunderstorm may develop into a supercell.

Yes, I'm a meteorologist. If it's over your head, I understand it. That also makes me a paid professional prevaricator. Almost like a politician. At least I lie out of ignorance.

Cheers!

H

Werbung:
Hi! I'm a free thinker who is looking for reasoned debate. This looks like a good site. I hope to engage and learn from you all.

Helicity is a measure of the vertical shear within the atmosphere. Understanding this structure can help determine whether a thunderstorm may develop into a supercell.

Yes, I'm a meteorologist. If it's over your head, I understand it. That also makes me a paid professional prevaricator. Almost like a politician. At least I lie out of ignorance.

Cheers!

H

Shhh to much science talk scares some on here :)

Cheers!

H
I suppose it depends on the lapse rate...

Speaking of lapses... welcome!

Cheers!

H
Well, welcome aboard...but I'm not so sure that I would wander around announcing that "I'm a M E T E O R O L O G I S T"...in this part of the great state of utter confusion:rolleyes: The locals would just ignore you for lack of pure thought and the constant ability to get our weather so completely/horribly wrong, so WRONG that they result to utilizing the good ole Farmers Almanac to make daily decisions on such important issues like when to cut their hair so that their hair won't grow so quickly.

But seriously {and I'm not always so serious} we are a great big bag of mixed nuts and the odd deformed ones just don't stand out too well ;)

Welcome to the HOP!

Reasoned debate can be a rarity but we're working on that...

Make yourself at home and jump right into the political mosh pit.

Cheers!

H

welcome Heicitor,

I hope you will give your take on global warming... it should be interesting :)

welcome Heicitor,

I hope you will give your take on global warming... it should be interesting :)
One of my profs stated it best. "I can think of a hundred reasons why a numerical model will be wrong, and I can't think of one why it'd be right." He wasn't kidding. The basic set of equations can't be solved, so we have to approximate based on parameterizations and other simplifying assumptions. It's even worse for climate models. Is the climate changing? No doubt. Because of all the various feedback relationships in the climate system, consistency is the only outcome that is unlikely. What is stable is oscillations around climate averages--some of which are very long term. Does humanity affect the climate? Possibly. Who the heck really knows. But the path of the true scientist is to inquire and experiment. Which in the case of climate requires we use computer models. And I can't think of one reason why those would be right. If it sounds like an infinite "do loop," that's because it is....

H

One of my profs stated it best. "I can think of a hundred reasons why a numerical model will be wrong, and I can't think of one why it'd be right." He wasn't kidding. The basic set of equations can't be solved, so we have to approximate based on parameterizations and other simplifying assumptions. It's even worse for climate models. Is the climate changing? No doubt. Because of all the various feedback relationships in the climate system, consistency is the only outcome that is unlikely. What is stable is oscillations around climate averages--some of which are very long term. Does humanity affect the climate? Possibly. Who the heck really knows. But the path of the true scientist is to inquire and experiment. Which in the case of climate requires we use computer models. And I can't think of one reason why those would be right. If it sounds like an infinite "do loop," that's because it is....

H

You need to join the debate currently going on in a couple of the threads. Mostly I just read them, Ill keep my eye out for yours :)

Welcome, Helicitor. I see you have a sense of humor, which is quite welcome here. There are some who take themselves way too seriously.

You have already taught me a new word.

As for reasoned debate, yes, we have some of that here, along with a big dose of hype, nonsense, and unsupported opinions.

I'll try to be tactful and not refer to meteorologists as "weather guessers" as I often do in casual conversation.

I can't think of any reason pumping billions of tons of CO2 and other Chemicals in the air....would magically not have any effect at all.

It has an effect, it's just very small compared to the natural fluxes of carbon in/out of the atmosphere. I'm skeptical of our ability to quantify it or it's effects with any certainty. I expect there is some impact on the environment, but I don't think it's the end of the world. Man's inhumanity against man strikes me as the more existential threat.

Switching from carbon based energy to cleaner alternatives at a reasonable pace is not a bad idea. I personally favor nuclear power with continued emphasis on energy efficiency. Over time we'll get to where we want to go without destroying the economy.

I'll try to be tactful and not refer to meteorologists as "weather guessers" as I often do in casual conversation.

I used to brief fighter pilots in Germany--a country God created to keep weather officers humble. Their prompt feedback often lacked both tact and words with more than four letters. Bring it on. :cool:

Werbung:
Back