How's everybody weather wise?

top gun

I know we all love the verbal combat:) here in the HOP. But let's step away from that for a second for a little weather report from wherever you are.

I'm mainly concerned about Bunz up in Alaska (and not because Palin's back:D).

I saw somewhere it was like 49 degrees below zero AIR TEMP up there! Not wind chill AIR TEMP!!!

How does the Internet even work up there. Type with gloves on much?:)

Anyway here in Columbus, Ohio on 1/10/09 it's 29-32 degrees with freezing rain coating everything... it's slip slidingly UGLY! Or as I'm sure Bunz will put it... TROPICAL!:D

Whatcha got?

Werbung:
South Texas is sunny and in the 50's today. Yesterday was 81. God knows what tomorrow will be.

Portland, Oregon cloudy, about freezing with freezing fog left over from last night. Our cat has catagorically refused to set foot outside the house until it's warm and dry out there. She checks at each door a couple of times a day and then returns to the woodstove and stretches out again to wait for spring.

South Texas is sunny and in the 50's today. Yesterday was 81. God knows what tomorrow will be.

As I look out my window at the freezing rain and read your post about 81 I realise................. I hate you!:)

No seriously I hope it stays decent for you. Where in south Texas? My Father-in-Law has a winter home in McAllen.

Oh, some places in Alaska are even worse:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99162528

It's in the 20s here in northern Oklahoma.

WOW THAT'S JUST FRICKIN' AMAZING!!! (good attachment)
Didn't even know it could get that cold in Alaska.

Sounds like you're just a little colder than us out in the big OK. For some reason I thought it was warmer there. I always think of Texas and OK together for some reason

As I look out my window at the freezing rain and read your post about 81 I realise................. I hate you!
Why? It's still freakin' Texas. As a Californian who grew up in the 60's, the weather in Texas is the least of my problems here. If it weren't a good place to be in these economic times (why? again), it could be perfect weather here and I'd still be glad to be in freezing rain.

I'm closer to San Antonio, which has only one saving grace. Ozzie p***ed on the Alamo.
Lol.

Why? It's still freakin' Texas. As a Californian who grew up in the 60's, the weather in Texas is the least of my problems here. If it weren't a good place to be in these economic times (why? again), it could be perfect weather here and I'd still be glad to be in freezing rain.

I'm closer to San Antonio, which has only one saving grace. Ozzie p***ed on the Alamo.
Lol.

I'm with ya on the Texas thing... I'd rather be in Cali too. Also know about growing up in the 60's... turning 52 this month myself I sometimes wonder if there's such a thing as delayed hippie syndrome!:D

Still south Texas weather was always nice when we went to McAllen, usually in October. And there are some palm trees there... got to have some palm trees. I always say... If it ain't got palm trees it's a trip, not a vacation!:)

Enjoy what ya got... it could be a lot worse (read that January in Ohio)!;)

Portland, Oregon cloudy, about freezing with freezing fog left over from last night. Our cat has catagorically refused to set foot outside the house until it's warm and dry out there. She checks at each door a couple of times a day and then returns to the woodstove and stretches out again to wait for spring.

:D.............yeah that sounds like ours as well, she wanders to the back door and stares out at the snow and looks up as if to say "yeah...ok folks... what the hell is the white fluffy cold stuff huh?" and then shambles off to the front door to see if by any miracle its turned into a tropical paradise - daft beast.

Its been bloody cold for over a week now and the poor birds are having a problem getting water as everything is frozen solid!

For some reason I thought it was warmer there. I always think of Texas and OK together for some reason.
Oh, it can be (warmer)--the boundary of a couple of different climate zones goes through here and they're always arguing like conservatives and liberals.:eek:

Today, the weather guesser was fooled. The prediction was for 47 and foggy, the actuality was 60 and sunny. Tomorrow is a crap shoot.

If we get tired of the fog and cold, we can always go to the coast, or simply read about Alaska and count out blessings.

Now, it's tomorrow, and I can't see across the street.

Fools will still be driving 70 on the freeway, of course. We've had some spectacular pile ups when the fog gets dense like this.

Heading to a marriage in which I was going to be the best man back in '81, I found myself driving north up one of the major Interstates there in California in the wee hours of the morning in thick fog doing 70 mph, with barely-visible lights close ahead and behind.

You dared neither blink nor panic as those were sure paths to instant death or worse. I knew beyond certainty that way too many of the folks that live there lack...

...don't have a...

...are...

...they're just...

Well...

...to borrow a phrase from the lab: "non-viable organisms".

Well right now, it is +11. Things have warmed considerably in the last 36hours.

Firstly, thanks to Top Gun for your concern, and yes the internet does still work, actually even faster considering the cold temps come from crystal clear skies. A high pressure system settled in about 11/20/08 across the entire state and with the minimal sunlight we get this time of year, nothing has the chance to warm up.

It has been well below zero now for several week previous, but where I live is not nearly as bad as others. As is evidenced by previous posts. If you look at my avatar to the left, I live in the area that is covering the 4corners region of the lower 48. We have been seeing temps to -30 to -40, but the really cold areas are in the interior, closer to Fairbanks which would lie about where Iowa is on the avatar, where you get temps to minus 80. Whereas I get a stiff breeze coming off the now frozen ocean, those areas have little wind. But windchill doesnt effect metal.

The biggest hassle when it gets this cold is two fold, firstly energy bills go through the roof. When the furnace and wood stove are running more or less constantly it adds up quickly. Especially when the diesel we use to heat our homes in the rural parts of the state is running at well over $7 a gallon, it can easily mean a grand a month just for a cold snap.
The other is on inert materials like plastic and metal. Touching metal to your skin at those temps will cause an instant burn. Plastic becomes very brittle. To the point where a Nalgene bottle is liable to shatter. The same goes with glass, a small nick in my windshield turned into a crack running the entire width of the glass.

I went to college up in Fairbanks where the temps are extreme, and my days of living there, short of a very well paying job, are over. The winters are harsh, with temps dipping to -70 but the summer time will see heatwaves that reach into the 90s. I heard somewhere Fairbanks experiences the highest temp flucuations from winter to summer than anyplace in the world.

As for our cold snap, it is just a small hitch in daily life. We still go to work, we still play hockey outside and go hunting/fishing. Kids still go to school, and life continues. We just make sure to plug our cars in, seal our structures, and not over spend to much outside without an ability to get warm.

Plus, I have an excellent coat, plenty of lined jeans, a pair of bunny boots, and my pride and joy is a set of fur mittens and hat made out of spotted seal and sea otter than keeps me safe.

My biggest concern during these times is always the homeless poppulations. Attempting to sleep and keep warm in a tent, especially while intoxicated as is the often the case with the homeless in AK, leads to a few freezing deaths annually. In my community we had a 21 year old girl freeze to death right around Thanksgiving time as is evidence.

Werbung:
Well right now, it is +11. Things have warmed considerably in the last 36hours.

Firstly, thanks to Top Gun for your concern, and yes the internet does still work, actually even faster considering the cold temps come from crystal clear skies. A high pressure system settled in about 11/20/08 across the entire state and with the minimal sunlight we get this time of year, nothing has the chance to warm up.

It has been well below zero now for several week previous, but where I live is not nearly as bad as others. As is evidenced by previous posts. If you look at my avatar to the left, I live in the area that is covering the 4corners region of the lower 48. We have been seeing temps to -30 to -40, but the really cold areas are in the interior, closer to Fairbanks which would lie about where Iowa is on the avatar, where you get temps to minus 80. Whereas I get a stiff breeze coming off the now frozen ocean, those areas have little wind. But windchill doesnt effect metal.

The biggest hassle when it gets this cold is two fold, firstly energy bills go through the roof. When the furnace and wood stove are running more or less constantly it adds up quickly. Especially when the diesel we use to heat our homes in the rural parts of the state is running at well over $7 a gallon, it can easily mean a grand a month just for a cold snap.
The other is on inert materials like plastic and metal. Touching metal to your skin at those temps will cause an instant burn. Plastic becomes very brittle. To the point where a Nalgene bottle is liable to shatter. The same goes with glass, a small nick in my windshield turned into a crack running the entire width of the glass.

I went to college up in Fairbanks where the temps are extreme, and my days of living there, short of a very well paying job, are over. The winters are harsh, with temps dipping to -70 but the summer time will see heatwaves that reach into the 90s. I heard somewhere Fairbanks experiences the highest temp flucuations from winter to summer than anyplace in the world.

As for our cold snap, it is just a small hitch in daily life. We still go to work, we still play hockey outside and go hunting/fishing. Kids still go to school, and life continues. We just make sure to plug our cars in, seal our structures, and not over spend to much outside without an ability to get warm.

Plus, I have an excellent coat, plenty of lined jeans, a pair of bunny boots, and my pride and joy is a set of fur mittens and hat made out of spotted seal and sea otter than keeps me safe.

My biggest concern during these times is always the homeless poppulations. Attempting to sleep and keep warm in a tent, especially while intoxicated as is the often the case with the homeless in AK, leads to a few freezing deaths annually. In my community we had a 21 year old girl freeze to death right around Thanksgiving time as is evidence.

Well Bunz you're a tough one if you can battle those kinds of extremes that's for sure. Glad you're OK with it.

I personally go to flannel lined jeans when the temp gets much below 32 degrees... so I'm relatively sure I'd die in Alaska!:D

It's note worthy that when talking about conditions you stated your concern for those less furtunate... says a lot about you!

STAY WARM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back