1. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Intransparent health care costs

Discussion in 'Health' started by Walter, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Walter

Walter Administrator Staff Member

In the US, the very same blood test can cost $19 at one clinic and $522 at another clinic just blocks away - and nobody knows the difference until they get a bill weeks later. Sometimes its cheaper to pay cash than to use an insurance.

For me, this seems like a broken system. Now, journalist Jeanne Pinder says it doesn't have to be this way.

She's built a platform that crowdsources the true costs of medical procedures and makes the data public, revealing the secrets of health care pricing: https://clearhealthcosts.com

Lagboltz likes this.
  2. dogtowner

dogtowner Moderator Staff Member

Health insurance led to the upward spiral of costs. Government healthcare sent it through the roof. If it's just numbers on a piece of paper nobody cares. When you paid it yourself then costs stayed under market control.
    AMA had a real coup putting this scam together.

3. Lagboltz

Lagboltz Well-Known Member

Thank you. I bookmarked it. I hope it becomes wide spread.

4. Walter

Walter Administrator Staff Member

One of the big pharmaceutical companies (revenue 2017: 22.871 billion) announced that it now will sell a generic version of its own best-selling insulin brand Humalog for half off - $137 versus $275.

Wow. That seems generous.

Until you start to research. In 2001, they raised the price from $35 to $275.

In Germany the list price of a vial of Humalog is $55 including taxes and markup fees. Oh my.

Lagboltz likes this.
  5. dogtowner

dogtowner Moderator Staff Member

Insulin is a scam. No difference in how its manufactured since they found a way to make it from algae decades ago.
    But it's a forced market since people with type 1 diabetes die without it.

6. Lagboltz

Lagboltz Well-Known Member

I gave your post a "like" even though I don't like it.

https://www.news4jax.com/health/insulin-crisis-skyrocketing-prices
    That’s sending many Americans to Canada, where they pay up to 10 times less per vial. The FDA allows it if it’s for personal use and a three-month supply or less.

“We are now hearing of not just hospitalizations for people who have rationed or run out of their insulin, but now, this year, we are hearing of deaths," Hirsch said.

That's the anti-regulation US for you. I thought Trump was going to do something about that. It is more of a national emergency than his stupid wall.