1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

PETA video shows Ringling Bros. circus handlers beating elephants

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by Popeye, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

I know people get down on PETA for some of the outlandish stunts they pull, but they also serve a function, that of exposing animal cruelty at places such as factory farms or as in this case the Ringling Bros. circus. I know I made a vow long ago never to give my money again to a circus...they are nothing but venues for the abuse of animals..

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/200...handlers_beating_elephants.html#ixzz0M1JjajVc

[​IMG]

2. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Well-Known Member

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
    makes you feel better when a elephant stomps one out....

3. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

I really hate PETA but if they can find proof someone is hurting an animal and expose them...

I am glad they are around.

I did not watch the video Popeye, I can not stand to see animals get hurt but thanks for posting about it. I hate PETA a little less now :)

2 people like this.
  4. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

I'm glad to hear you're an animal lover, perhaps it's a generalization but it seems like the right has far less empathy for the plight of animals....glad to see you're an exception.

PETA needs to stick to the undercover work they demonstrate in this video, it's not only more important, but they'll be taken a lot more seriously that way. Just remember that there's a large scale campaign, largely funded by the meat and restaurant interests, to discredit PETA....

5. Pandora

You are right about PETA, they need to stick to stuff like this. I would love them and support them with money and praise if this is all they did.

I love trees too and nature but I hate the groups that tend to advocate for them.

Do you know what Wild Life Safari is? Its in Winston, Oregon. They are a huge mass of land that keeps wild animals. Not in cages but in huge areas. People can go visit but you drive through with your car. I like that much better than a zoo. http://www.wildlifesafari.org/

There should be strict laws about hurting animals but I think the laws should apply to people too. Some people love animals so much but ignore a person in the same situation.

For instance, the week that Terri Schiavo
    died of starvation and dehydration a group who advocated removing her feeding tube was tube feeding dolphins who were sick in the same city. I find that strange.

But yes, I love.. actually I adore animals. When I am sad or having a bad day just holding a puppy can change everything.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bunz

Bunz New Member

It reminds me of the situation in Honolulu. A horrible series of events.
    This is not for the faint of heart.

7. Bunz

Bunz New Member

I dont disagree when it comes to show animals in some circumstances, but for the most part PETA is against just about everything I am for. Hunting, fishing, trapping, a non vegan life, among other things.

Frankly I get tired of the annual PETA efforts up here. The anti salmon and fur campaigns are simply unrealistic and not well argued. This is not to forget the all to often mentioned uproar when it comes to aerial wolf control.

8. GenSeneca

GenSeneca Well-Known Member

Some things you may be interested in knowing before you support PETA with your money.... It won't go to helping animals, it will go to advertising, lavish dinner party fund raisers and killing animals.

1 person likes this.
  9. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

Lets check out your source..

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Rick_Berman

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Center_for_Consumer_Freedom

10. Pandora

Does PETA have anything to do with the fish hatchery’s?

It bothers me when the hatchery fish are beaten on the head then the females cut open for eggs and the males squeezed for sperm because its easier to get the eggs exc. The way they just gut them and toss the body really bothers me, and when asked why not let them spawn with the other fish they say they don’t want them to mix with the native. Why not they are all salmon. I can see gathering some eggs and sperm to keep the program going but they kill every one of them even though they don’t need all the eggs and sperm just to keep them from mating with the native ones. The groups that do this every year as the salmon return “claim” to be animal lovers but they don’t act like it. I do not know if they are part of PETA or not.

I am also bothered by the mass killings of dogs and cats. But I have to admit they treat the animals more humane than human children in an abortion are treated, at least they put the dogs and cats down with a pain free gas. I still don’t like it. All the money donated to them should be used to find families for homeless pets not gassing them.

I would never give them money unless the only thing they did was expose people who hurt animals and found adoptive families for homeless pets.

11. GenSeneca

Which does absolutely nothing to discount the claims made by the source...

But that's what you Progressives do, you try to discredit a source (attack the messenger) so that you can ignore the message.

PETA has since purchased large industrial freezers where they store the bodies of the animals they kill and hold them there till they can be cremated.

PETA kills animals en mass then cremates them in massive ovens and has the audacity to refer to those who oppose them as Nazi's... :rolleyes:

12. Pandora

Are the animals in pain when they die? Is it the same kind of gas a vet uses? My dog got gassed, I still feel just terrible about it. But I stayed with him when they did it and he did not seem to have any pain and it was quick. I still think I am horrible that I let that happen to him.

13. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

By the same token, your "information" from a front group for the restaurant, alcohol and tobacco industries does nothing to invalidate the original point of this thread...that of the abuse of elephants at the Ringling Bros circus.

Are you a supporter of animal abuse? To be honest with you, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you were.

14. GenSeneca

Are you a supporter of gassing Jews and cremating them in large ovens? Given your anti-Israel position, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you were.

Are the animals in pain when they die? - Pandora

If you're asking about whether the animals are in pain and need to be killed, No. Most of the animals they kill are perfectly healthy and adoptable. PETA kills them "humanely" but a large portion are still puppies and kittens when they are destroyed.

15. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

Nobody's suffering, at least not anymore. PETA refers to themselves as a "shelter of last resort" Here's an example of a couple animals PETA has euthanized, I guess the meat industry front group counts these as 2 PETA should have kept alive..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

http://blog.peta.org/archives/2009/03/why_we_euthaniz.php

I've made it clear I don't agree with everything PETA does, but some of these smear tactics, funded by groups such as the meat industry, that have an obvious vested interest in making, not just PETA, but all animal rights organizations look bad are outrageous.