Proposal to ban welfare recipients from playing lottery

steveox

RALEIGH, N.C. -- North Carolina lawmakers are drafting legislation that would ban people on welfare or those who are in bankruptcy from buying lottery tickets.
Rep. Paul "Skip" Stam, R-Wake is helping draft the legislation. Stam told ABC11 the vendor selling the lottery ticket would be penalized if they knew the person was on welfare or in bankruptcy.
That stipulation is not sitting well with some convenience store clerks that don't want to be left to enforce a new law.

"I don't feel comfortable for somebody ask why or your financial things, so it's not my business," Peace Street Market's clerk Aref Peroz said.

But Stam suggested that in obvious cases, such as when customers pay for groceries with food stamps, they shouldn't be allowed to buy lottery tickets at the same time.

Another proposal would remove the word "Education" from the N.C. Education Lottery for advertising purposes. Stam said the word "education" shouldn't be used to sell "something that is essentially a scam," especially because lottery proceeds account for a small percentage of state education funding.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8966694

Thats a good idea!

Werbung:
Dog,,About 30 years ago there was a Maryland lotto winner from Baltimore who sold her food stamps to buy lottery tickets. She won the 4 million dollar jackpot. Now is that fair when the rest of us have to use real money our hard earned dollars to buy lottery tickets and lose. But this bum bitch who uses her food stamps from the tax payers gets 4 million and she didnt earn it. I paid my taxes so she can win 4 million? THATS BULLSHIT!

Dog,,About 30 years ago there was a Maryland lotto winner from Baltimore who sold her food stamps to buy lottery tickets. She won the 4 million dollar jackpot. Now is that fair when the rest of us have to use real money our hard earned dollars to buy lottery tickets and lose. But this bum bitch who uses her food stamps from the tax payers gets 4 million and she didnt earn it. I paid my taxes so she can win 4 million? THATS BULLSHIT!

hmmm...

she could sell those food stamps and buy crack or she could buy lottery and pay for schools.

you are out the tax dollars no matter what.

now consider the cost to the public of putting something in place for lottery retailers to check to see if they're on welfare not to mention the extra time you spend in line to buy your tickets.

feel good legislation doesn't usually make good sense.

Werbung:
Back