Religion of Peace At It Again

Bible, Koran are violent, but 'read between lines'

THE Bible has as many invocations to violence as the Koran, if not more, says an American biblical scholar and peace activist. There is a darker side to the sacred text that many Christians will not admit.

Alongside passages exhorting believers to love their neighbour and turn the other cheek are verses that refer to hellfire, encourage acts of violence or call for God to carry out acts of vengeance against sinners.

Even the Book of Psalms, generally regarded by Christians as uplifting and comforting, referred to the dashing of "little ones" against rock, said Chris Stanley, a professor of theology at St Bonaventure University in western New York state.

"There is the angry violent god of the Old Testament, but there is plenty of language in the New Testament that portrays God as a violent judge, and some that can be taken that human violence is something that God would ordain," Dr Stanley said.

Dr Stanley spoke at a two-day seminar hosted by the United Theological College that explored how religious texts have been used to validate violence - and can be reinterpreted to encourage dialogue between faiths.

This month, the Catholic Archbishop of Sydney, Cardinal George Pell, was criticised by Islamic leaders when he said the Koran was riddled with invocations to violence and described the central challenge of Islam as the struggle between moderate and extremist forces.

Dr Stanley said religious violence was not distinctively a Muslim problem and those who engage in violence and claim support from scripture are not necessarily twisting words, but picking up on past elements.

Christians and Jews each had to face up to, not paper over, their violent antecedents, and no religion could claim the moral high ground.

It was, however, sometimes harder for Muslims to deal critically with the violent statements in the Koran because of the belief that every word of the Koran is spoken by God.

The challenge, he said, was to have people follow those parts of the scriptures that espouse non-violence.

The prominent US theologian William Cavanaugh, in Australia on a speaking tour, said in Melbourne that Christianity, Islam and other faiths can and do contribute to violence in certain situations.

But he disputed that religions were more inclined towards violence than "secular" ideologies and institutions.

"The myth of religious violence promotes a dichotomy - us in the secular West who are rational and peacemaking, and them, the hordes of violent religious fanatics in the Muslim world," Dr Cavanaugh said.

"Regrettably, we find ourselves forced to bomb them into the higher rationality."

Garry Trompf, a professor of religious studies at the University of Sydney, said at the seminar that the propensity to violence predated salvational religious traditions and carried over from ancient times when fertility and victory were celebrated. These ancient religious instincts subverted latter-day traditions that considered the state of spiritual life to be more important than victory over enemies.

Werbung:
Oh ok I think we've been trying to prove two different points all along! Of course the doctrine has got a load of horrible violent stuff in it, but I was critising the thread title, because the peaceful followers of Islam are not 'at it again.'

The "term religion of peace" is used by muslim apologist who point to OUT OF CONTEXT verses of the Koran, that in isolation can be used to support the arguement that Islam is a religion of peace. They dont make the arguement, like you do, that the existance of Muslims, who are peaceful, is proof that "Islam" is a peaceful religion, they always point to doctrine.
Your arguement would make sense if he had said 'peaceful muslims at it again'.

They are fundamentalist. They follow the literal meaning of the words in the doctrine. Thats why I am critical of the doctrine. An abortion clinic bomber cant take scripture from the Bible and make a rational arguement supporting his actions. A crowded market bomber can take the Koran, haddiths and writings of respected Islamic scholars and VERY EASILY make a rational arguement as to why his actions were OBLIGATED by the doctrine. Its no coincidence that 1500 years ago Ibn Khaldoon, a respected Islamic Scholar, wrote that the Khilafa is

: A representation, of the one
who has the right to adopt the divine rules, aimed at
protecting the Deen and ruling the world (Dunia) with it.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~luqman/Belief/Khilafah/one.html

and a few weeks ago in Britain Abu Saif says

Of course," he replied, "we want Islam to be a source of governance for all of mankind. And we also believe that one day America will be ruled by Islam."
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=56503

Its just easier to imagine that if we just leave them alone in Iraq, all will be well, and just ignore what it is they really want and why. BECAUSE THE WRITTEN WORD TELLS THEM THAT THEY MUST!

It's the responsibility of the author to provide context. It is not the responsibility of the reader to go out and find it.

CONTEXT!!!
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/k/koran/

did I quote the Haddiths in this thread?

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/reference/searchhadith.html

I believe Ive already provided the link to Qutb's Milestones, Chp 3 and 4 if you dont want to read the whole thing.

http://www.youngmuslims.ca/online_library/books/milestones/hold/index_2.asp

I cant provide the context that changes the meaning of what I quoted, because it doesnt exist.

That isn't context, it's nothing more then a search engine for passages in the Quran. Look up the meaning "context".

I believe Ive already provided the link to Qutb's Milestones, Chp 3 and 4 if you dont want to read the whole thing.

That too is nothing but a search engine.

I cant provide the context that changes the meaning of what I quoted, because it doesnt exist.

Yes you can. Context puts the words into a larger picture - the whole passage, the culture and history of the times. I notice you insist on interpreting the biblical passages in context (ie - it's a parable etc.) but refuse to do so with Quranic verse?

Again - there is a BIG difference between reading and understanding and any religious scholar worth his salt will tell you that.

The "term religion of peace" is used by muslim apologist who point to OUT OF CONTEXT verses of the Koran, that in isolation can be used to support the arguement that Islam is a religion of peace. They dont make the arguement, like you do, that the existance of Muslims, who are peaceful, is proof that "Islam" is a peaceful religion, they always point to doctrine.

This is ridiculous! You use the same OUT OF CONTEXT verses to support your claim that Islam is violent.

Yet when someone does the same with the Bible - oh no, it's out of context - and you label them apologists.

Anyone who attempts a legitimate defense of the Muslim faith against blanket stereotypes is labeled an "apologist" which seems to be the word du jour these days.

Did you even read the introduction to this site?

There are many early hadith scholars and teachers to whom we are indebted for introducing the critical science of collecting and evaluating ahadeeth. These teachers each collected many different ahadeeth. They did not allow students to quote from their collections until the students had actually come to them and learnt from them directly.

Today, the situation is different. The collections of ahadeeth have for the most part stabilized, and with the advent of the printing press, the collections are easily mass-produced. There is a blessing in all this of course, but there is a real danger that Muslims will fall under the impression that owning a book or having a database is equivalent to being a scholar of ahadeeth. This is a great fallacy. Therefore, we would like to warn you that this database is merely a tool, and not a substitute for learning, much less scholarship in Islam.

This is ridiculous! You use the same OUT OF CONTEXT verses to support your claim that Islam is violent.

Yet when someone does the same with the Bible - oh no, it's out of context - and you label them apologists.

Except there is one big difference. I provided the context that showed the verse did not have the meaning that was implied. notice how the Muslim apologist only whine that the verse is out of context, but never simply provide the context. Nobody provided the context from the Bible, I retrieved it. As I suspected it was easy to show that the meaning of the verse was being purposely misrepresented.

Did you have a point you wanted to try and make? Feel free to do so.

Did you even read the introduction to this site?

There are many early hadith scholars and teachers to whom we are indebted for introducing the critical science of collecting and evaluating ahadeeth. These teachers each collected many different ahadeeth. They did not allow students to quote from their collections until the students had actually come to them and learnt from them directly.

Today, the situation is different. The collections of ahadeeth have for the most part stabilized, and with the advent of the printing press, the collections are easily mass-produced. There is a blessing in all this of course, but there is a real danger that Muslims will fall under the impression that owning a book or having a database is equivalent to being a scholar of ahadeeth. This is a great fallacy. Therefore, we would like to warn you that this database is merely a tool, and not a substitute for learning, much less scholarship in Islam.

THE Bible has as many invocations to violence as the Koran, if not more, says an American biblical scholar and peace activist. There is a darker side to the sacred text that many Christians will not admit.

Alongside passages exhorting believers to love their neighbour and turn the other cheek are verses that refer to hellfire, encourage acts of violence or call for God to carry out acts of vengeance against sinners.

Refering to violence is not the same as condoning violence. Condoning justified violence is not the same as what this author is trying to imply.

To you all and not just Coyote, By all means, post a verse which condones violence which you think is unjustified or not just an example of an ancient Hebraic judicial system that no one lives by today, and we can discuss it.

Do you have any verses which clearly support an unjustified violence that is relevant today? Let's save ourselves some trouble too. When you think you have found one look it up on the web first so you don't embarrass yourself by posting something that doesn't mean what you think it means. After you have found a credible Christian apologist who fails to satisfy you with a reasonable explanation then posting it would be a great idea.

You NON-MUSLIMS think you know everything about Islam.

The arguements on here over religion is doing nothing
but going in circles. What is being posted now was
posted on the first three pages of this thread,and here
we are 10 pages later blabbering the same thing.

The bottomline is the United States government has
blew its gaskets, and is in denial just like some of you
are. I like to read some of the debates on here,but when
they begin to sound like a broken record its time for a
new tune, and new information that would help to solve
the problem.

This Islamists & Extremists crap is old as dirt, and I am
starting to wonder are most of you like Bush...like to
keep **** going? What about the wrong doing in other
religious groups and organizations?

Everywhere in the Middle East (which is mostly Muslims)
the United States is fighting. Lets talk about all the
negative crap that's taking place here in America. Most
of us sign on day after day on the internet to repeat
the same thing we said two months ago. Yet there is
nothing to read but the internet paragenda that most of
you post.

In closing, There will always be conflicts in ALL religions,
and to be quiet frankly when was things in Religion ever
peaceful?

Except there is one big difference. I provided the context that showed the verse did not have the meaning that was implied. notice how the Muslim apologist only whine that the verse is out of context, but never simply provide the context. Nobody provided the context from the Bible, I retrieved it. As I suspected it was easy to show that the meaning of the verse was being purposely misrepresented.

You provided no context to your verse - nothing but a search engine. I merely pointed out context is important but you seem to think it's only important in relation to Christianity. I think there is a word for that: hypocrit.

I find it interesting that rather than debate the topic you have to resort to insults. Quite telling.

In closing, There will always be conflicts in ALL religions,
and to be quiet frankly when was things in Religion ever
peaceful?

Your sentiments, probably shared by most Muslims, is why this current problem with Islamic fundamentalist will be with us for a long time. Muslims dont even recognize that there is a problem with Islamic fundamentalism.

You provided no context to your verse - nothing but a search engine. I merely pointed out context is important but you seem to think it's only important in relation to Christianity. I think there is a word for that: hypocrit.

I find it interesting that rather than debate the topic you have to resort to insults. Quite telling.

Like I said Einstein, context is always important. And its not just a search engine. You simply click on "Browse the Koran" and it takes you to
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/k/koran/browse.html
that takes you to an index of all 114 chapters. I quoted from the Immunity, click on that chapter and you can read it all, for all the context you want.
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/k/koran/koran-idx?type=DIV0&byte=282392
You seem to think I should pick out the context that shows the verses quoted have a different meaning than that which is implied by the ordinary meaning of the words. I cant, its not there. Remember, you guys are the ones who claimed the verses were out of context. AND STILL, no one has simply provided this context. REVEALING! If the intent is to advance the debate, provide the context.
This usual 'nuh huh, it is not' without anything more is getting old.

Your sentiments, probably shared by most Muslims, is why this current problem with Islamic fundamentalist will be with us for a long time. Muslims dont even recognize that there is a problem with Islamic fundamentalism.

You got that right jb_1430, and we do not have to recognize the
problem as long as we have people like you around.
Like I said it seems to me that your complete mind program is
based on Muslims Extremist and Fundamentalists. Another thing
that I see in your comments alot is (wishful thinking words) the
words IF and PROBABLY. Know your facts before submitting the
comment.

I know for a fact that NOT all Muslims fundamentalists or extramists,
and the current problem isn't us Muslims sharing...its people like you
who continue to beat the dead horse.

Here is a suggestion for you non-muslims who seem to think
that they know about Islam or suppose to know how we think
that's the current problem why the problem will be around a long
time. Its not how we think, but its how people like you think,and
as long as you think like that...there will be a problem always.

Werbung:
Feel free to support your emotional rants with something....anything. Otherwise you are merely providing a demonstration of my point.

You got that right jb_1430, and we do not have to recognize the
problem as long as we have people like you around.
Like I said it seems to me that your complete mind program is
based on Muslims Extremist and Fundamentalists. Another thing
that I see in your comments alot is (wishful thinking words) the
words IF and PROBABLY. Know your facts before submitting the
comment.

I know for a fact that NOT all Muslims fundamentalists or extramists,
and the current problem isn't us Muslims sharing...its people like you
who continue to beat the dead horse.

Here is a suggestion for you non-muslims who seem to think
that they know about Islam or suppose to know how we think
that's the current problem why the problem will be around a long
time. Its not how we think, but its how people like you think,and
as long as you think like that...there will be a problem always.

Back