so much for free speech II

Werbung:
This morning I heard that what they did to the valedictorian is illegal.

Federal, State and District policy all state that the school CANNOT edit graduation speeches. They must provide the forum in a manner that dos not discriminate against a student's voluntary expression of a religious viewpoint, if any, on an otherwise permissible subject.

But maybe they had a problem with his subject. Free speech.

This morning I heard that what they did to the valedictorian is illegal.

Federal, State and District policy all state that the school CANNOT edit graduation speeches. They must provide the forum in a manner that dos not discriminate against a student's voluntary expression of a religious viewpoint, if any, on an otherwise permissible subject.

But maybe they had a problem with his subject. Free speech.
I read that as well .....

I sure seems the real problem was Free Speech and Faith!

Not everything is some slight against the Constitution. Sometimes it's just some kid who chooses the wrong place and time to try to make some point that he thinks is more important than everything else going on around him at the time.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...oning-god-graduation-speech-article-1.1369065

“I have no idea what he said,” his father Todd Reimer told the Burleson Star. “I was just as confused as everybody else was. I'm not sure what happened up there or why his mic was cut off.”
Friends and classmates were also baffled, but the school said it cut Reimer off because he didn't give the same speech he had submitted to the school beforehand. Religion had nothing to do with it, the school said. The graduation ceremony concluded with a prayer.

I'm going to give the school the benefit of the doubt on this one. Maybe the kid is a principled patriot or maybe he's just a spoiled little brat.

Not everything is some slight against the Constitution. Sometimes it's just some kid who chooses the wrong place and time to try to make some point that he thinks is more important than everything else going on around him at the time.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...oning-god-graduation-speech-article-1.1369065

I'm going to give the school the benefit of the doubt on this one. Maybe the kid is a principled patriot or maybe he's just a spoiled little brat.

the crime came before he showed up at at the ceremony.

he earned the right to speak, the school did a foolish thing.

Giving a Valedictorian speech is not a right. He submitted his speech beforehand for approval. He apparently agreed to stick to it during the ceremony. He did not do that. The ceremony was bigger than him. The school officials are obviously not anti-religious as has been alleged in this thread.

Giving a Valedictorian speech is not a right. He submitted his speech beforehand for approval. He apparently agreed to stick to it during the ceremony. He did not do that. The ceremony was bigger than him. The school officials are obviously not anti-religious as has been alleged in this thread.

actually it goes to the kid with the best gpa, salutatorian to #2. no indication that he agreed to anything. the bill of rights is bigger than all if them and since he would be giving over control of his life for years to come with his entry to the naval academy its probably important to him.

actually it goes to the kid with the best gpa, salutatorian to #2. no indication that he agreed to anything. the bill of rights is bigger than all if them and since he would be giving over control of his life for years to come with his entry to the naval academy its probably important to him.

In my class the kid with the best GPA didn't give the speech. He wanted to talk about issues the school didn't want him to talk about so he refused to give the speech and the speeches were shifted down one ranking. I'm sure that has happened before. A better way to word it might be that the Valedictorian speech is initially offered to the kid with the highest GPA.

There certainly is an indication that he agreed to something. He had handed in a copy of his speech beforehand and he was aware that a promise had been made to cut the microphone if he deviated from the speech. He was aware of the conditions and was allowed to take the podium, to me that is an indication that he agreed to the conditions.

I still don't think this is a Bill of Rights issue and if the kid really thought that he should be allowed to bend or break the rules just because he won't be allowed to later then he probably doesn't belong at the Naval Academy in the first place.

and the righties as well.

There are authoritarians on both ends of the spectrum.
Not the "righties" .....

The far majority of the Republicans, YES .......

Righties would refer to the Conservatives in this Country who are not only being targeted and attacked by the current Marxist regime, but essentially have no political representation either at the moment.

In my class the kid with the best GPA didn't give the speech. He wanted to talk about issues the school didn't want him to talk about so he refused to give the speech and the speeches were shifted down one ranking. I'm sure that has happened before. A better way to word it might be that the Valedictorian speech is initially offered to the kid with the highest GPA.

There certainly is an indication that he agreed to something. He had handed in a copy of his speech beforehand and he was aware that a promise had been made to cut the microphone if he deviated from the speech. He was aware of the conditions and was allowed to take the podium, to me that is an indication that he agreed to the conditions.

I still don't think this is a Bill of Rights issue and if the kid really thought that he should be allowed to bend or break the rules just because he won't be allowed to later then he probably doesn't belong at the Naval Academy in the first place.
It damn sure is a Bill of Rights issue because the "rules" in this case are unjust!

And, the fact that the principle threaten to attempt to "ruin the students reputation" with the Naval Academy for speaking out clearly shows just how unjust this situation is.

Werbung:
It damn sure is a Bill of Rights issue because the "rules" in this case are unjust!

And, the fact that the principle threaten to attempt to "ruin the students reputation" with the Naval Academy for speaking out clearly shows just how unjust this situation is.

It was a school function. The time to deal with the rules if anyone really thought they were unjust was before the kid took to the podium. Schools limit the speech of students in many ways,all of the time, and always have. This is not new.

I agree the threat to slander the student with the Naval Academy appears to be out of line and should be looked into.

Back