When Losers Adopt A Losing Strategy

Greco

Devastated in two consecutive national elections, Republicans are continuing to struggle to regain their footing. Actually, they'd be happy to just slow down their free fall into the abyss. They have employed strategies this year that not only haven't worked, they've worsened their already crushed status. They created loony radicals, called tea baggers, and used them as their poster kids, which further helped position themselves as a political party of uneducated, uninformed, frequently embarrassing individuals. Then they combined that with a total obstructionist policy. No matter what the issue, they were against it. No, no, no became their battle cry. Americans clearly understood our country had massive problems created by, and left from the previous Republican administration and the attempt to block all efforts at course corrections didn't play well. In reality it simply served to illustrate that Republicans were void of any ideas of their own, and just whiney, petty individuals.

During the health reform debate Republicans made matters worse for themselves with their constant stream of ridiculous lies. Death panels, denial of coverage, interment camps, rationing of health care, on and on... no lie was too absurd for the Republicans. Time after time their lies were debunked, then ridiculed branding them as desperate and untrustworthy.

Today there's a report card on how the various Republican strategies have worked. The new ABC/Washington Post poll states, "Only 20% of respondents identified themselves as Republicans -- the lowest number since the paper starting asking the question in 1983. These numbers, coming roughly one year before the 2010 midterm elections, show that any celebration on the GOP's behalf is premature as the party has yet to convince most voters that it can be a viable alternative to Democratic control in Washington today."

George Stephanopoulos adds: "Only 19% trust Republicans in Congress to make the right decisions for the country's future -- compared to 49% trust in Obama. In addition, President Obama outpaces his fellow Democrats on the Hill -- by 15 points -- in this measure, providing some ammunition to the perpetual White House argument to Democratic members that their political success is inextricably linked to the president's. And unlike other recent polls, ABC-Post give Democrats a 51-39 edge in the generic Congressional ballot."

It would appear that using the tinfoil hat crowd as their public face, lying and trying to obstruct everything in their path hasn't been such a winning strategy. Imagine that!

Werbung:
Devastated in two consecutive national elections, Republicans are continuing to struggle to regain their footing. Actually, they'd be happy to just slow down their free fall into the abyss. They have employed strategies this year that not only haven't worked, they've worsened their already crushed status. They created loony radicals, called tea baggers, and used them as their poster kids, which further helped position themselves as a political party of uneducated, uninformed, frequently embarrassing individuals. Then they combined that with a total obstructionist policy. No matter what the issue, they were against it. No, no, no became their battle cry. Americans clearly understood our country had massive problems created by, and left from the previous Republican administration and the attempt to block all efforts at course corrections didn't play well. In reality it simply served to illustrate that Republicans were void of any ideas of their own, and just whiney, petty individuals.

During the health reform debate Republicans made matters worse for themselves with their constant stream of ridiculous lies. Death panels, denial of coverage, interment camps, rationing of health care, on and on... no lie was too absurd for the Republicans. Time after time their lies were debunked, then ridiculed branding them as desperate and untrustworthy.

Today there's a report card on how the various Republican strategies have worked. The new ABC/Washington Post poll states, "Only 20% of respondents identified themselves as Republicans -- the lowest number since the paper starting asking the question in 1983. These numbers, coming roughly one year before the 2010 midterm elections, show that any celebration on the GOP's behalf is premature as the party has yet to convince most voters that it can be a viable alternative to Democratic control in Washington today."

George Stephanopoulos adds: "Only 19% trust Republicans in Congress to make the right decisions for the country's future -- compared to 49% trust in Obama. In addition, President Obama outpaces his fellow Democrats on the Hill -- by 15 points -- in this measure, providing some ammunition to the perpetual White House argument to Democratic members that their political success is inextricably linked to the president's. And unlike other recent polls, ABC-Post give Democrats a 51-39 edge in the generic Congressional ballot."

It would appear that using the tinfoil hat crowd as their public face, lying and trying to obstruct everything in their path hasn't been such a winning strategy. Imagine that!

There are honest hard working people in both parties. The problem is that they get very little media face time and their voices are hard to hear over the insane ranting of most everyone else.

We have no leaders right now. When the Healthcare answer is a 1500 page bill that makes HR 3200 read like cliff notes, we have a problem. When the Republicans can't formulate a solid alternative other than sound bites, it tells you how ill prepared they are.

It isn't about the two parties anymore. It is about the sad situation we have placed ourselves in by electing these attorneys to do an executive managers job. I can't find one solid proposal that, in effect, helps the U.S. Citizens as a whole. Every move they make is about special interest groups. Where have all the leaders gone?

On the surface I agree with your remarks. However, it's the Republican Party that is currently rudderless. People may disagree with the leaders of the Democrats, even Democrats do that, but they do have leaders.

If the Republicans had viable leadership, even in the minority, it would make for better governance.

On the surface I agree with your remarks. However, it's the Republican Party that is currently rudderless. People may disagree with the leaders of the Democrats, even Democrats do that, but they do have leaders.

If the Republicans had viable leadership, even in the minority, it would make for better governance.

I agree with the fact that leadership among the Republican party would provide better governance. I disagree that the Democratic party has leadership. Pelosi, Reid, Dodd, and Frank aren't leaders. They are just following the money that is flowing like water into their campaign coffers. The decisions that they make are based on special interest and not the U.S. citizens. IMHO

"I agree with the fact that leadership among the Republican party would provide better governance. I disagree that the Democratic party has leadership. Pelosi, Reid, Dodd, and Frank aren't leaders. They are just following the money that is flowing like water into their campaign coffers. The decisions that they make are based on special interest and not the U.S. citizens."

You're a bit of one-trick pony on this subject. It seems to be your most frequent comment on all posts. At the same time, you fail to observe monies flowing in to the other party. You only cite the Democrats. That renders your argument moot, if you're so delusional you only think one political party has donations.

There is no question the GOP is a mess right now. This is not by any means to suggest the Democrats are in a much better place. All of the most visible GOP leaders are not in direct political power. You have the media personalities of Beck, O'Reilly, and Rush among a bunch of other right wingers, none of which can vote on, or sign, and potentially veto legislation.

The reasons for the GOP being voted out of power lays only in thier own policies and actions.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33381540/ns/msnbc_tv-hardball_with_chris_matthews/

Clipped from Friday's Taping of HARDBALL with Cris Matthews PART 1
MATTHEWS: Coming up: President Obama is down in Texas at Texas A&M, and the tea people don‘t like it. They don‘t like him consorting with the guy they consider the bad guy. So what‘s really behind this fight, this tea party thing? They‘re mad. Apparently, these people think that George Herbert Walker Bush was the beginning of the problem. Are they mad about taxes, big government? Are they mad about everything that‘s happening in America? We‘re going to hear from a member of the Texas Tea Party Patriots group and find out what is ticking these people off.
You‘re watching HARDBALL, only on MSNBC.
MATTHEWS: Welcome back to HARDBALL. President Obama is in College Station, Texas, tonight talking about public service at the invitation of former president George Herbert Walker Bush, Bush 41. How will the bipartisan buddy show we‘re going to see tonight square with the folks down there?
Let‘s talk with Phillip Dennis. He‘s an organizer of the Texas Tea Party Patriots. Thank you very much, sir. Phillip, I really want to hear from you. What you do you make of the president, President Obama, meeting up with former president George Herbert Walker Bush at Texas A&M tonight?
PHILIP DENNIS, TEXAS TEA PARTY ORGANIZER: Well, President Bush...
MATTHEWS: What do you think of that?
DENNIS: President Bush can invite whoever he wants to Texas A&M, and has done so. He also has a history of hanging out with Bill Clinton. So it‘s his discretion to do so.
MATTHEWS: What‘s your feeling about it?
MATTHEWS: Personally, I‘m neither here nor there about whether President Bush associates with President Obama or anyone else. That‘s his right to do so. And I mean, I have friends that don‘t agree with me politically. And so that has nothing to do with the matter. I think what people are protesting down in College Station today is President Obama‘s politics and that we‘re not pleased with what he is doing politically in Washington, D.C.
MATTHEWS: OK. Let‘s get the politics of Texas figured out here. Governor Rick Perry has been elected now a couple of times down there, and here he is in April, Governor Rick Perry of Texas.
GOV. RICK PERRY ®, TEXAS: We‘re still part of the union down here in Texas. And our folks would like to keep it that way, but we see some things going on that are peculiar, they‘re frustrating, and I think Texans are—you know, we‘re an independent lot, and we‘d just as soon Washington not be mortgaging our kids‘ futures, and ours, for that matter.
MATTHEWS: Well, here he is a couple days later, Governor Perry again on the issue of secession.
PERRY: Texas is a unique place. When we came in the union in 1845, one of the issues was that we would be able to leave, if we decided to do that.
Well, my hope is that America, and Washington in particular, pays attention. We got a great union. There‘s absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what may came—or may come out of that?

MATTHEWS: Well, Phillip, that‘s strange talk for a guy like me. I grew up in Pennsylvania. Never heard of the governor of Pennsylvania talk about seceding from the union. What does it do you to you when you hear your governor talking like that?
DENNIS: Well, it‘s election time. I can speak...
MATTHEWS: What, is he a nut case or what? I mean, do you think he‘s
OK? Is he on the level? When he says secession, does he mean it, or is he...what‘s he doing?
DENNIS: Personally, I believe he was patronizing people that—something that people wanted to hear. I can speak for the Dallas Tea Party, which is one of the larger Tea Party groups in the country, is that we do not advocate secession. Listen, we‘ve lost a couple of elections and we‘re going to fix that starting in 2010, but we‘re not talking about seceding from the country.
MATTHEWS: Well, he was doing this at a Tea Party event. You say he was patronizing. Was he patronizing your crowd? I‘m just asking who he‘s talking to here.
DENNIS: Well...
MATTHEWS: It sounds crazy to me. You say it doesn‘t sound like anything more than politics, but what‘s he talking about? And what is your reaction to that?
DENNIS: Well, my reaction is that I disagree with that. And I—you know, politicians say a lot of things and do another. We see that all the time. I think the tea party movement he was speaking at when he said those things was organized by the Republican Party, which does not take place in about 99.99 percent of the country. In fact, that group now has been disbanded. So we do not allow politicians, elected politicians or people who have announced they are running for office, to speak with our—to the tea party movement.
MATTHEWS: I see. What do you make of those six Texas Republican congresspeople, congressmen, who are birthers? They have real questions about Barack Obama‘s being an American.
DENNIS: Well, you know, I think we have a lot bigger fish to fry than that. When 46 cents of our...
MATTHEWS: Well, is it one of your fish?
DENNIS: No, it‘s...
MATTHEWS: Is that one of your fish?
DENNIS: No, it is not one of my fish. My fish is fiscal responsibility, and that‘s the fish of the group that I represent in the Tea Party Patriots, is that we are fiscal conservatives. And that‘s what we are calling upon both parties, Republicans and Democrats, who have not acted responsibly...
MATTHEWS: OK.

DENNIS: ... in spending our country‘s money.
MATTHEWS: Who did you vote for for president in 2000 and 2004?
DENNIS: I voted against President Obama and held my nose to vote for someone that I do not particularly care for in John McCain.
MATTHEWS: No, 2000. I‘m sorry, Mr. Dennis -- 200 and 2004.
DENNIS: In 2004, I voted for Bush.
MATTHEWS: Bush doubled the national debt—doubled it. He spent $700 billion bailing out Wall Street. He bailed out AIG. When you did you discover that you were concerned about fiscal responsibility? Was it after a Democrat was elected president? And where were you when Bush you was doing all this stuff?
DENNIS: Well, what we were not doing is we were not sending money to the RNC anymore and we were not voting for Republicans. And that‘s what happened. And I am not a fan of—
MATTHEWS: You reelected the guy. You reelected Bush.
DENNIS: I didn‘t vote for him the last time. And I didn‘t support what he does and I‘m not a fan of what he—he did some good things with cutting taxes and he did some good things with keeping us safe, but I am totally against what the Republicans did, spending money in Washington, D.C., when they were in power. And that‘s why they find themselves in the minority.
MATTHEWS: Well, let‘s go through that. Let‘s do some real serious work here for a minute. The Republican president, George W. Bush—and I agree you. I thought he was doing a great job after 9/11 for a while there. I thought going after bin Laden was dynamite and I was with the 90 percent, “Let‘s go get that bastard.” I‘m all for that. But he never vetoed a single spending bill by the Republican Congress. Where you were you each time—each time he didn‘t veto, he let them spend the money on the pork and the earmarks and all that crap, where were you guys?
DENNIS: Well, where I was and where...
MATTHEWS: Were you out there marching, holding tea party meetings?
DENNIS: No. No, we weren‘t at that point, because we were just getting extremely ticked off.
And we were—we were—as I mentioned, we were not supporting the Republican Party anymore. We were not voting for Republicans. And we were not sending our money to the Republican Party. And we—and we still are not doing so.
MATTHEWS: Yes.
DENNIS: And, let me—let me make this straight, because I know where you‘re going at with this, Chris, and it is not fair, is that President Bush, as bad as he was, with—in terms of the deficit, President Obama, in six months, quadrupled the deficit with an $800 billion stimulus bill that quadrupled the deficit.
And that was, in my opinion, that broke the camel‘s back. And they did that without even reading it. Now, if our elected politicians that we send to Washington, D.C., do not take oath of office strong enough to read the bills that they sign...
DENNIS: ... then we need to bring them home. And that‘s what we‘re going to do, Republican and Democrat.
I'll apologize for the length of that clip but it was very, very interesting to hear and I felt that some of you might find it as interesting to read.

And once again that Texas Governor isn't doing his party nor his great state any service by continuing his diatribe about succeeding from the United States of America...that just creates more opinions that make other's believe that the GOP has truly lost their collective minds!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33381540...hris_matthews/

Clipped from Friday's Taping of HARDBALL with Cris Matthews PART 2
MATTHEWS: Well, the difference is between Bush and Obama is that, when Bush came in, we had a balanced budget. When he left, he doubled the national debt.
Let me tell you the other difference. When he left office, we were going into a Great Depression. Many economists believe that the only thing that could be done at that point was to run a big deficit to offset the cut in consumer spending and business investment.
So, you‘re right. Barack Obama did run up the deficit. He did it, many people believe, because he had to, facing another Great Depression.
Your reaction?
DENNIS: Yes, my reaction is, we have got a bunch over-educated, under-smart people in Washington, D.C. They don‘t live like regular people do. We pay our bills on time. We go to work. We live within our means...
MATTHEWS: Yes.
DENNIS: ... not like the government borrowing trillions and trillions of dollars from people who are—could be our enemies.
MATTHEWS: So—so let me get this straight. You think the correct
action for Barack Obama coming into office, with a—with a Great
Depression facing him—oh, you may disagree—you can certainly disagree
· that his correct response was to keep the budget down, let the government just laissez-faire, let the business community and the consumer bail us out, let the government—let the free markets operate? You thought that was the right answer?
DENNIS: I believe that—I believe the free market always prevails. I believe he should have cut taxes, released restrictions on businesses that have run our businesses overseas and jobs overseas now for decades.
What did Hoover do?
DENNIS: I wasn‘t around then.
MATTHEWS: Well, you know history, sir.
DENNIS: No, I‘m not that familiar..
MATTHEWS: What did Hoover do? He did what you prescribe right now, which is to do nothing, run a balanced budget, try to deal with it the old conservative way.
DENNIS: And didn‘t—haven‘t they come out now and said that FDR‘s policies Keynesian politics extended the Depression by at least seven years?
What we‘re saying is that if we—we would have never gotten ourselves in this situation if big-spending politicians hadn‘t been allowed to run wild in Washington, D.C., while we sit at home and pay the bills.
MATTHEWS: OK. OK.

Well, the only thing—you may have a theory there that says—I‘m all for any theory that can be proven. But Franklin Roosevelt was reelected with all but two states. I think he carried 46 states in 1936 against Alf Landon. So, whatever he did restored public confidence, and people believed in what he was doing, to the point where Vermont and Maine voted against him.
So, your theory that, somehow, he deepened the Great Depression wasn‘t believed at the time.
DENNIS: Well, who cares what was believed at the time, when it came out with the proof now showing that it is.
MATTHEWS: Right.
DENNIS: I mean, that doesn‘t give me a thrill up my leg.
MATTHEWS: OK. Well, you‘re a worthy—Mr. Dennis, Mr. Dennis, the -
· the problem is that history shows that the Great Depression was about to turn this country into probably a revolution. The Communist Party was building up support, the Socialist Party.
DENNIS: Gee, it sounds familiar.
MATTHEWS: And what saved the country was, the Democratic Party at that time did something.
DENNIS: Yes. Exactly.
MATTHEWS: Right?
DENNIS: Yes.
MATTHEWS: Or do you disagree?
DENNIS: Well, they did something, absolutely.
But it is very debatable whether it was really the good thing for the country.
All we‘re saying—and I‘m not going to get into—I mean, I don‘t care to, but I will debate about President Hoover. But if that‘s what you brought me here for, you‘re wasting your time.
MATTHEWS: No, no, no.
DENNIS: We are here...
MATTHEWS: What I bring you for is, when you—when you‘re holding tea party meetings and condemning this president taking dramatic steps to deal with the Great Depression that was facing us, and you‘re calling that socialism, whatever, and I‘m just asking you, what was the alternative, when he faced what he faced that was left over from Bush?
Bush left him...
DENNIS: I just told you.
MATTHEWS: Well, let‘s look at Bush. Bush did $700 billion in bailouts in TARP.
DENNIS: We were against that.
MATTHEWS: Then he bailed out AIG.
DENNIS: We were against that.
MATTHEWS: He did all that bailout stuff and then left the president coming into office on January 20 facing a Great Depression. He took dramatic steps.
Normally, no president should have ran the presidents we have had this year.
(CROSSTALK)
MATTHEWS: I agree you with completely. But your answer was do nothing.
DENNIS: And look—and look at the success he‘s had. Since he signed the stimulus bill to create jobs, we have lost more than two million jobs.
Look at the great success he‘s had. What we say is cut taxes, give us more liberty and freedom at the ground level here in the red states or in the flyover country...
DENNIS: ... as you New Yorkers call it, and let us live our lives like we do.
MATTHEWS: Well, I‘m not a New Yorker.
DENNIS: But the government doesn‘t work that way.
Well...
MATTHEWS: Well, basically, you‘re saying to do what Bush did, a big tax cut, and then lots of speeches about the free enterprise system.
DENNIS: A big—a big tax cut with dramatic cuts in government spending and dramatic cuts in the size of our government. It‘s what we advocate.
MATTHEWS: OK. Thank you.
DENNIS: We just don‘t disagree with...
MATTHEWS: You were very clear on that.
DENNIS: We just don‘t agree with your ideologies, Chris. It is not the fact we‘re racist or rednecks. We just don‘t agree with your liberal ideology. And, in 2010, we‘re going to see what happens.
(CROSSTALK)
(LAUGHTER)
MATTHEWS: Hey, look, fair enough.
But let me ask you this. If you think doing nothing for this new president to come in, I think there would have been a lot of Republicans on the other side, a lot of critics like yourself, who would have attacked Barack Obama had he come in and done the usual smooth sailing and said, we will get through this; just hunker down.
I think a lot of people believe that, if he had done, we would be in real trouble right now.
DENNIS: You know, that‘s crazy talk.
MATTHEWS: Worse trouble.
DENNIS: That‘s crazy talk.
I will tell you this. If Barack Obama would cut taxes, and if he would reduce the size of government, and secure our borders, I would have his face tattooed on my chest. And that‘s an open offer to President Obama right now.
MATTHEWS: OK. Well, thank you very much.
I think I agree with you about the borders.
Thank you, Phillip Dennis of the Patriots.
DENNIS: My pleasure.
MATTHEWS: We are going to go deeper inside this tea party movement a little bit later on in the program. We have got the results of a new focus group about these conservative Republicans, what they really believe, what motivates them, and just how far out of the mainstream they may be.

I've often wondered why & what happened to the republican base that didn't agree with G.W.B.'s policies and spending habits during those 8 years in office...and to hear this REPUBLICAN TEXAN come out and clearly state that they didn't agree with G.W.B.'s policies...WELL HELL'S BELLS that just begs the question of "WHERE WERE THEIR COLLECTIVE VOICES DURING THAT PERIOD OF TIME" :confused:

Some of that is true.

But so much of it is blatantly wrong that the very conclusions you reach cannot be supported at all.

If you want to make brand new arguments that the pubs are losers you might succeed. But not based on that.

"I agree with the fact that leadership among the Republican party would provide better governance. I disagree that the Democratic party has leadership. Pelosi, Reid, Dodd, and Frank aren't leaders. They are just following the money that is flowing like water into their campaign coffers. The decisions that they make are based on special interest and not the U.S. citizens."

You're a bit of one-trick pony on this subject. It seems to be your most frequent comment on all posts. At the same time, you fail to observe monies flowing in to the other party. You only cite the Democrats. That renders your argument moot, if you're so delusional you only think one political party has donations.

Both parties take money from special interest groups. I was remarking on your comment that the Democrats have leaders. (We already agreed the Republicans don't.) My issue is that the Democratic "leaders" aren't leaders for the citizens of this country. If they were they would allow the "Read the Bill" bill to cone to the floor for a vote. They have control of such things and they are stonewalling many attempts to create transparency.

Yes, I'm a one trick pony on this issue. Harry Reid has taken almost $25M in the past 12 months. Pelosi took $250K in the first quarter from Trial Lawyers. Dodd and Frank both took millions from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Is there equivalent displays on the Republican side? Yes, but they don't have any influence right now. When one of them blocks a vote or stands in the way then I'll put them in the cross hairs as well.

Here is one for you, Gov. Charlie Crist (FL-R) has $4M in his campaign fund for his run for Senator in FL. 37% of it came from out of state sources. Does that mean that he'll only have the best interest of the Floridians 63% of the time?

What are you talking about? The Dem's have enough votes to pass it on their own, but they can't get their own party to vote for it because they're afraid they won't get re-elected.

That's because many of them won't if they support this bill. One can't win elections by just making democrats happy. Dems only make up, what?, about 20% of the electorate?

Werbung:
Back