1. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Why Gloomy Pundits and Politicians Are Wrong About America's Education System

Discussion in 'Education Policies' started by PLC1, Jan 23, 2013.

1. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

[h=1]Why Gloomy Pundits and Politicians Are Wrong About America's Education System[/h]
    Pundits and politicians, gloomy or otherwise, have a history of being wrong.

2. dogtowner

dogtowner Moderator Staff Member

interesting. I blame calculators.

seriously.

had to buy the kid a graphing calculator in high school because the math teacher could not teach how to do it the old fashioned way. didn't have them when I was in school (or maybe we did but they were even more obscenely priced than now). they made a point of teaching manual first in all cases.

i do think they are on the right track in breking things down as they do but leve out important causes as to why we have more lower income people.

3. PLC1

they don't teach kids to use slide rules, as they did when I was in high school either. I can't imagine why, can you? and the abacus, whatever happened to that?

I think the question of income disparity was beyond the scope of that article.

4. Cruella

Cruella Well-Known Member

Gipper likes this.
  5. Hobo1

Hobo1 Well-Known Member

So the point of the article is "disadvantaged kids" (no definition provided for that term) are equal in not performing as well as "advantaged kids" in European/American countries. This is supposed to break the myth that US disadvantaged kids are really doing much more poorly compared with the rest of the world.

My reaction is this: the US is loosing jobs for semi-skilled workers (like factory workers) because US companies are moving the factories overseas where labor is cheaper. So if we are to have a prosperous future, we must have well-educated, skilled workers. High school is not enough anymore. To accomplish this, BOTH advantaged and disadvantaged kids must have a higher level education than other countries.

One of the problems is the US school system is caught in a system that is 20-30 years old. The bureaucracy is very slow to change. Many parents are turning to home-schooling using a school sponsored program through the computer. Kids can spend more time learning the reading, writing and arithmetic, and less time wasted learning some foreign language like French, which no one uses, remembers, or needs in the world today.

This study and the associated article seems pretty useless if we are talking seriously about the future of education in the US. The conclusion is simply, "we ain't so bad after all" ha!

6. dogtowner

didnt intend to introduce income disparity. i doubt it has any effect thats not captured already.

7. PLC1

The point of the article was that our middle class children do as well as middle class children in other countries, and our children of poverty do as well as children of poverty elsewhere. We just have more children of poverty than there are in other developed countries.

8. dogtowner

also that other western countries sre seeing that disparity narrow due to immigration (language mainly).
    time will tell if their immigrints are comfortable on the dole and dont bother educating themselves.

9. Hobo1

Hobo1 Well-Known Member

The fact that the US education system is staying equal with other countries is not good enough. In today's (and tomorrows) world, we need a population educated in science and engineering if we are to to stay a superior country. We need people who can find real solutions to global warming, to alternative energy supply, more efficient transportation, etc. etc. In the next 20 years robotic machines will be doing all the manufacturing. We don't need factory workers - we need people who can build and repair these robotic machines.

Staying equal just isn't good enough if we are to remain a great country.

PLC1 likes this.
  10. PLC1

That is true. We also need critical thinkers who can separate fact from wishful thinking.

11. Gipper

Gipper Well-Known Member

How could this be, when TRILLIONS of dollars has been confiscated and transferred to benefit those impoverished, since the Butcher of Vietnam stained our nation with his disgusting presence and policies? More has been spent on the War on Poverty than has been spent on any other problem, by any government, in the history of the world...but I digress.

I have a hard time believing government schools (we all know government anything SUCKS), who have no competition, are run by union members who can never be fired, who make relatively big salaries and benefits, but think they deserve much much much more, who ignore what parents want while promoting leftism and denigrating American traditions daily, are effective at educating.

Could it be that the article you cite is commending the p-schools for teaching the kiddies how to be good liberals? In that regard, the p-schools have been an amazing success.

12. Hobo1

Hobo1 Well-Known Member

I suggest you Google the phrase: how do schools in the US compared with other countries. You will get a surprising difference of opinion.

13. Gipper

Gipper Well-Known Member

Forgive me for being skeptical....very skeptical. We all know...well some of us know, that liberals and leftists are notorious liars when it comes to promoting their ideology....and liberals and leftists control the schools and so much more in our society. We also know that nearly everything liberalism/leftism has implemented has been a complete and utter disaster.

14. PLC1

The public schools are run by locally elected school boards.
    The schools in other countries being used as a comparison are also public schools. No modern nation has both an educated populace and an all private education system.
    If teaching children to read well makes them "good liberals", then it follows that liberals are people who read well, and conservatives, then, must be people who don't read so well (at least, according to your logic).
    But you are correct about the war on poverty being a miserable, expensive failure. It is probably even a more expensive failure than the war on drugs, yet another failed big government project.

15. Gipper

Gipper Well-Known Member

Wrong. The p-schools are essentially run by the federal government. Who dictates all sorts of rule and regulations the schools must abide by.

What we need is more competition in secondary education and elimination of teachers unions.

So what if no nation has both an educated populace and an ALL private education system....why did you raise this strawman argument???...when I did not raise it...Did I suggest the p-schools be done away with? Did I state we need an all private education system? Why make up nonexistent arguments, when you and I can argument real ones?

Liberals runs the p-schools from top to bottom and we know liberals ALWAYS impose their political beliefs on those they can, because they are ALWAYS right. Certainly you know this.

And you say the war on poverty is PROBABLY more expensive than the war on drugs....oh please stop. Did you forget being schooled on the subject....from three years ago....and you call yourself a teacher......http://www.houseofpolitics.com/threads/costliest-war.9719/