"You can't write things like that."

Jim

'Idiot' barb gets passenger detained—CNN.com

This airport security thing has gotten way out of hand. It's one thing to prevent weapons from getting onto a flight, but the TSA is taking it to a whole new level. There is no basis in the Constitution for this type of behavior by the government, but people just accept it and move on, either because they're scared or because they don't think it's important.

The government does not have the right to search people at the airport.

This is a simple fact that many choose to ignore. Of course, the police can search someone who is a suspect in a crime or something of that nature, but the TSA's screening of every passenger is completely unconstitutional. Just because there is a medium of transportation present does not mean that the right not to be searched or detained without a warrant or probable cause no longer exists.

I'm going to close up with some brief excerpts from the article, because they seem significant.

• "Kip Hawley is an Idiot" [the message written on passenger Ryan Bird's clear plastic toiletries bag]
  • "You can't write things like that." [comment by screener to Bird]
  • The supervisor told Bird he had the right to express his opinions "out there"—pointing outside the screening area—but did not have the right "in here," Bird said.

Werbung:
Hm. For lack of a meaningful thing to say, I'll put in a barb of my own and say that apparently absurdism has become de rigeur.

I think it's really disturbing that the TSA (along with the Secret Service and various other agencies) takes it upon itself to create "Constitution-free" zones, which is essentially what airport screening areas are. If rights can be so haphazardly and arbitrarily overruled, then they're not really rights.

One could draw parallels between this and the 'special detainment camps' for terrorist suspects.

This is just another example of how our lovely government can choose when and where to enact our rights. They have created a detention camp of sorts, and it is sickening. They have given these inspectors free reign to do absolutely whatever they feel like. Nobody should be given as much power as these lightly trained inspectors.

What would have happened if that idiot did pose a threat boarding that plane?

Who do you think the public would have held accountable?

I dont think we can continuously blame the government when "we the people" hold them responsible for every action from terrorism to trans fats and raising our children!!!! Its our own damn fault!

This is just another example of how our lovely government can choose when and where to enact our rights. They have created a detention camp of sorts, and it is sickening. They have given these inspectors free reign to do absolutely whatever they feel like. Nobody should be given as much power as these lightly trained inspectors.

I agree with you here on this part. I think that there are times and places to be held accountable, and here is one. the government needs to stand up and take responsibilty for what they are doing to these people.

I was under the impression that the main emphasis of this post was on this ineffectual and misdirected paranoia which has people jerking at the knee and instead of helping a system with a more effective process and solid security infrastructure end up antagonising and denying basic rights of people. But palefrost seems to have raised a good point. We need to redirect the attention to the root of the problems, wherever they be.

What's most disturbing to me is that not only to people allow this, they applaud it. It's very frightening how many rights people will allow to be taken away, all the while smiling. This situation is going to have to come to a head sometime. People are going to have to say that enough is enough. I just hope it happens soon.

This is one of those issues where one bad apple will spoil the barrel. Since someone conceivably COULD blow a hole in the fuselage of an airplane with explosives in a bottle of mouthwash, then that threat needs to be addressed. I'm not saying I agree with the policies (quite frankly I'm annoyed), but I suppose if something could happen, then regulations are put into effect to allay the threat.

i feel that they are doing this for our own protection and i personally have no bad thoughts about this subject becasue at the end of the day its to help and protect us not to actually bring us to any harm.

The problem of course is that the actions taken are actually harming members of the public body that they purport to protect. Also, we're talking about a systematic misapplication of principles. A more significant example is obviously the current furore about the "violation of habeas corpus."

Of course people can be searched by the airline. It's about ownership. The airlines are owned by airline companies and these companies are choosing to make their airlines safe and requiring passengers be searched. Restaurants can choose to force people to wear shoes for service - it's their choice. If you don't like it, you should take private planes.

Werbung:
Back