9th Circus Court to rule on Calif Prop 8, changing defn of marriage to include same-sex

Don't know if you realize this. . .but California is NOT the Bible belt, and the % of Black in CA is not as high as in the Bible belt, and not even as high as in NY!

I realize that the data shows record turnout in African-American and other minority communities in 2008 in CA. I also recognize that Prop 8 got 1.6 million more votes than McCain did in CA.

I also realize that exit polling showed a large majority of blacks and other minorities voting in favor of prohibition.

So. . .even IF 41% of Black voters in CA voted in favor of prop 8, this would NOT have moved the total vote far enough to compensate for the large support among the White (and even the Latino) for gay marriage in CA.

Where is this 41% number coming from? The number who backed prohibition was much higher.

And the numbers do seem to show that this passed because minorities came out and voted for Obama.

As it is. . .it was not a landslide victory for prop 8, was it?

Exactly my point. It only passed because Obama was on the ballot.

But one thing we can agree on is that, every year, every month, the public opinion moves more in favor of equal rights for the gay community. . .Gay marriage for all States is not a question of "if" it will happen, but "when" it will happen.

Maybe. We will have to wait and see.

Werbung:
I do think it was a waste yes.

Yes -- and it is backed by polling and a lot of voter analysis on the issue.

Consider the following facts: (from NYT)
In 2008 Californians passed Proposition 8, which prohibited state recognition of same-sex marriage, with a 52 percent majority. Voting analyses suggest that between 58 and 70 percent of black voters backed the prohibition.

Think its just an one time thing? Think again.

Last April, as the successful push for same-sex marriage in New York picked up speed, a survey of state voters by the Siena College Research Institute found that 62 percent of white voters and 54 percent of Latino voters favored it. Only 46 percent of black voters did.
And in Maryland, which is almost certain to debate same-sex marriage next year, a recent poll by Gonzales Research & Marketing Strategies depicted a split among the state’s residents, with 48 percent in favor and 49 opposed. Among black Marylanders, though, support fell to 41 percent and opposition rose to 59.
The Maryland legislature already considered a bill to legalize same-sex marriage early this year. It passed the Senate but faltered in the House of Delegates, which in the end didn’t vote on it. Advocates said one reason was an outcry from black pastors and the chilling effect of that in a state whose percentage of black residents, 29.4, is much higher than the percentage nationally (12.6) or in New York (15.9), according to the 2010 census.

hispanics are generally against it as well which contributed strongly but obviously OMs analysis trumps all the "so-called" experts in the field who studied it in detail and at length.

I

Where is this 41% number coming from? The number who backed prohibition was much higher.

Sorry, I met 46%, which is the number that you provided for the percentage of Black people who voted against gay marriage in NY.
So I used that number (or at least I met to) as a comparison point for CA.[/quote]

Werbung:
70% of Black Californians voted against homo marriage. Evidently, California has a very high infestation of Black bigots lately.

Link?
And you do realize that 70% of 6 % means that the WHOLE population of Black voters in CA only represents about 4.2% of the total CA voters?

Back