Fed judge to rule on Calif same-sex "marriage" amendment

I don't. But when your dog sues for divorce and you two can't negotiate the breakup, you'll demand that the government do it for you.

That's WHY the government got in the marriage business.

My dog is very obedient to me, she will never ask for a divorce and if she does I will just give her a pupperoni and she will make up with me :)

I am sure if the government got out of marriage all together and divorce things would get better and all this bickering would be non issues.

Werbung:
plante.jpg

The latest in an ongoing saga pushed by homosexuals and their advocates will come out today, as a Federal District judge in California releases his ruling on whether California's Prop 8 ballot initiative amending the state Constitution, is blocked by the U.S. Constitution.

Prop 8 amended the state Constitution to say that California would recognize only "marriages" between man and woman.

Besides marriages, Califonia recognizes same-sex "civil unions", which are identical to marriages in all ways except in name. This is not good enough for homosexual advocates, though, who demand that their unions be called "marriages". This despite the universally-accepted definition of "marriage" as being a union of man and woman. Homosexual advocates are demanding that the fundamental definition of "marriage" be changed.

Homosexual advocates have tried repeatedly to put such fundamental changes on legislative bills and even ballot initiatives, and have almost universally rejected. Their only progress has been in getting judges to say that the change in the definition of marriage, is a "civil rights" matter, despite gays already haveing civili rights fully equal to the rights of heteros, in every state in the union.

One of the odder tactics the homosexual advocates have used to "justify" their demands that the definition of marriage be changed, is to compare them to Jim Crow laws forbidding mixed-race marriages. They apparently hope no one remembers that a fundamental reason for marriage is the procreation and raising of children - something mixed-race couples can do but same-sex couples cannot.

-------------------------------------------------

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...marriage-ban-ruling-to-be-released-today.html

California Same-Sex Marriage Ban Ruling to Be Released Today

August 04, 2010, 9:24 AM EDT
by Joel Rosenblatt

Aug. 4 (Bloomberg) -- A federal judge will publish his decision today on the validity of California’s ban on same-sex marriage, or Proposition 8, the state constitutional amendment passed by 52 percent of state voters in 2008.

U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker in San Francisco will release the ruling electronically on the district’s web site, according to the court.

The city of San Francisco and gay couples from Berkeley and Burbank argued during an unprecedented trial that the amendment deprives gays and lesbians of equal rights and protections afforded by the U.S. Constitution. Sponsors of Proposition 8 countered that the desire of gays and lesbians to marry is outweighed by the state’s interest in promoting child rearing in heterosexual marriages.

Charles Cooper, an attorney for the law’s sponsors, said at the January trial before Walker that statutes like Proposition 8 have the support of the U.S. Congress, 7 million Californians and 70 out of 108 judges who have examined the issue.

About 18,000 gay couples married in California before Proposition 8 was passed, barring the practice. As of 2006, there were an estimated 109,000 gay couples in California, more than any other state, according to U.S. Census data compiled by the University of California at Los Angeles.

Proposition 8 outlawed same-sex marriage after it was legalized by the California Supreme Court. The ban, still in effect, sparked protests across the state. Walker’s decision will be the culmination of the nation’s first federal trial over the legality of a gay marriage ban. Both sides have pledged to appeal a defeat.

Theodore Olson, a former U.S. solicitor general, argued on behalf of the gay couples that the U.S. Supreme Court has determined in 14 cases going back to 1888 that marriage is tied to rights of privacy, liberty and freedom.

He said Proposition 8 proponents can’t show that California has any rational basis or compelling interest to take away that right.

The case is Perry v. Schwarzenegger, 09-02292, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California (San Francisco).

If marriage and Civil unions are the same...then why would you care?

Also why is it any of your buisness who someone else marries?

There is nothing in the constitution that I know of that would ok homosexual marriage and I would bet if it were possible to ask any one who had anything to do with making the constitution if they meant for homosexual marriage they would all say no.

But I never understood why plural marriage isn't and I do not understand why Utah was told to drop plural marriage or they can not be a state.

It was a fundamental belief of Mormons and still is today to the FLDS that you must have plural wives to get into their version of heaven. To tell them they can not plural marry is to tell them that they cannot practice their long held religious beliefs. The constitution stops the government from impeding the free exercise of religion.

There is no right to marry...at all in the constitution...if the US made it against the law for anyone to marry...would you find that constitutional?

obama's first day as US Senator Jan 24th 2005. Less than 2 years later on Jan10th 2007 he says he is running for president. Doesn't do much of any work as a senator after this date except come back to washington to vote on key bills.

It seems to me that he bails after 2 years on a 6 year job.

The difference is he was paid to do nothing but run for president while Palin would rather make her own money instead of having the tax payers pay her to do her own thing like obama did.

But somehow I am not surprised you admire the way obama did it instead :)

Palin Quit...Obama moved to higher office...kinda not the same..thats like saying the Jet Blue guy who quit is the same as the guy who did a good job and got promoted fast...both left there current job...

And you always seem to forget, Obama actuly worked along time before in the US Senate...thats how he got there...Palin...not so much

lol very good :)

Next, the Right will ask that we Ignore the Cali Constitution...the Document that I believe is the reason it was fount illegal...But as well all know..popular support overrules a constitution :) Just like back when InterRacial Marriage was made Legal...and basically the same cries where herd...and 80% of Americans Opposed Interracial marriage.

Of course not silly, the first amendment to the constitution says you have freedom of religion, people have through out history married according to their religion.

And many churches allow gays to marry, also those of us who are Atheist, or Agnostic, have no issue with it as well...So where is those churches freedom of Religion?

Also the "some" on the Right seems to think the Right to Freedom of Religion also does not apply to Muslims...I guess maybe the right to freedom of Religion..only applies to those the Christian Church to many...

And many churches allow gays to marry, also those of us who are Atheist, or Agnostic, have no issue with it as well...So where is those churches freedom of Religion?

Also the "some" on the Right seems to think the Right to Freedom of Religion also does not apply to Muslims...I guess maybe the right to freedom of Religion..only applies to those the Christian Church to many...

I am not sure what the rules are on newly made religions such as unitarian.

Muslims that want 4 wives have a real argument when it comes to the constitution. But I am not sure that the constitution will allow a muslim to beat his wife and shoot her in the head if she cheats on him though.

Atheists and Agnostics have no religion so why do you think their freedom of religion is being tampered with?

lol very good :)

Next, the Right will ask that we Ignore the Cali Constitution...the Document that I believe is the reason it was fount illegal...But as well all know..popular support overrules a constitution :) Just like back when InterRacial Marriage was made Legal...and basically the same cries where herd...and 80% of Americans Opposed Interracial marriage.

Does the argument revolve around the Cali Constitution, or is it the 14th. Amendment of the US Constitution?

One of the first challenges was that it was a rewrite of the Constitution of California, which was an absurd argument as it really only added a few words to that rather lengthy document. I think the opponents of Prop 8 abandoned that argument and started arguing the US Constitution.

Does the argument revolve around the Cali Constitution, or is it the 14th. Amendment of the US Constitution?

One of the first challenges was that it was a rewrite of the Constitution of California, which was an absurd argument as it really only added a few words to that rather lengthy document. I think the opponents of Prop 8 abandoned that argument and started arguing the US Constitution.

I don't think it will ultimately matter what the CA constitution says about it, this is a case that is bound to end up before the Supreme Court. (in some variation or another)

Those people would be free to "marry" and be recognized by their Church, that is up to the church.

The issue is recognition by the state, not the church.

And why do people think Muslims cannot practice again?

Werbung:
If I recall correctly, my entire generation made a stink about HAVING to be married to live together and love. Love had NOTHING to do with a piece of paper. Attaining medical services does. I guess love does too now. Lol.

Back