A Draft

TheWaffle

What are people's thoughts on a draft? What about required civil service?

I actually think that compulsory civil service would not be a bad idea at all. If the government required 2-4 years of civil service in one of several fields I think that it could help the population, our economy, and our national unity. Required civil service could range from military to education to community service. Many European countries have similar policies and from what I've seen I think that they are effective and helpful programs for the nation and for helping the youth direct their lives.

Werbung:
What are people's thoughts on a draft? What about required civil service?

I actually think that compulsory civil service would not be a bad idea at all. If the government required 2-4 years of civil service in one of several fields I think that it could help the population, our economy, and our national unity. Required civil service could range from military to education to community service. Many European countries have similar policies and from what I've seen I think that they are effective and helpful programs for the nation and for helping the youth direct their lives.

The draft is unconstitutional. However sometimes I think it could be useful, the draft is what ended the Vietnam war for instance.

Drafts really don't make sense. It has shadows of Communism. You can't force people to work where they don't want to work. You don't put the square peg into round hole.

If you're that into compulsory civil service read Robert Heinlein's "Starship Troopers." The movie that they made out of it doesn't resemble the book in anything except character names and a few locales so don't judge it by that.

Drafts really don't make sense. It has shadows of Communism. You can't force people to work where they don't want to work. You don't put the square peg into round hole.

Wouldn't it be better to draft then to lose the war and our country?

It'd be better to draft people to preserve the U.S. ideals.

I'm a career military man. I joined voluntarily and still work for the Air Force now that I'm retired from active duty. I can tell you I know of no one in the military who wants to see a draft. I'd rather have 5 people serving under me who volunteered than 25 forced into involuntary servitude. The same goes for compulsory national service. Men and women will serve their country if they feel the need to do so. Not everyone is cut out for the military. Forcing someone to serve their nation to satisfy some sense that it will inspire patriotism and love of country is wrong.

On that note though if there truly was a national emergency and our nation's survival was truly at risk I would support a draft. But I believe you'd have people lined up down the street to serve also.

I know there is all this feminist stuff going on lately ... but I never see them demand "equal rights" in terms of the draft.

Shouldn't this be a major issue since because women are not drafted it implies women are weaker? I mean, we wouldn't want our women to feel left out.

I know there is all this feminist stuff going on lately ... but I never see them demand "equal rights" in terms of the draft.

Shouldn't this be a major issue since because women are not drafted it implies women are weaker? I mean, we wouldn't want our women to feel left out.

Actually from what I have seen/read most advocates of bringing back the draft have suggested that women be included.

I guess I would support a draft if the United States were at risk of invasion, but as I've stated before, I think that an armed populace that knows how to use a gun would be more effective than a draft in my opinion.

I guess I would support a draft if the United States were at risk of invasion, but as I've stated before, I think that an armed populace that knows how to use a gun would be more effective than a draft in my opinion.

I remember reading a story from a Soviet General after the end of the Cold War where he was asked why the Soviets never invaded the US. He basically said the idea was never seriously considered due to the sheer amount of firepower that the American citizen had in their possession. They knew they had no hope of ever disarming the citizenry.

I'm a career military man. I joined voluntarily and still work for the Air Force now that I'm retired from active duty. I can tell you I know of no one in the military who wants to see a draft. I'd rather have 5 people serving under me who volunteered than 25 forced into involuntary servitude. The same goes for compulsory national service. Men and women will serve their country if they feel the need to do so. Not everyone is cut out for the military. Forcing someone to serve their nation to satisfy some sense that it will inspire patriotism and love of country is wrong.

On that note though if there truly was a national emergency and our nation's survival was truly at risk I would support a draft. But I believe you'd have people lined up down the street to serve also.

That is a great point my friend... even then people who join voluntarily might not be as reliable when it actually comes to real combat... I can't even imagine what would happen to those who dispise the military.

Werbung:

The initial idea for this thread was inspired by Israel but I suppose the reason it works for them is that they have a tangible and imminent threat on all sides. I guess in a country the size of the US the idea would be impractical and difficult to implement.

Back