A Nuclearly Armed Taliban? Almost a Reality.

BigRob

I am surprised no one has put this up yet, so I will.

Pakistan is imploding. The Taliban runs large parts of the country and the Pakistani government has been reduced to cutting deals with the Taliban. It seems clear that the Taliban wants this to close down a possible two front war as we increase our presence in Afghanistan. On top of all of this, the possibility of the Taliban inheriting nuclear weapons is pretty close to being reality. If Pakistan falls, then they have done it.

Let's just say I hope to God President Obama has some plan in mind to prevent this. I was pleased to at least hear Secretary Clinton call out the Pakistani government directly, something that President Bush stayed away from, for various (good) reasons. Anyone have any ideas?

Werbung:
I am surprised no one has put this up yet, so I will.

Pakistan is imploding. The Taliban runs large parts of the country and the Pakistani government has been reduced to cutting deals with the Taliban. It seems clear that the Taliban wants this to close down a possible two front war as we increase our presence in Afghanistan. On top of all of this, the possibility of the Taliban inheriting nuclear weapons is pretty close to being reality. If Pakistan falls, then they have done it.

Let's just say I hope to God President Obama has some plan in mind to prevent this. I was pleased to at least hear Secretary Clinton call out the Pakistani government directly, something that President Bush stayed away from, for various (good) reasons. Anyone have any ideas?

It's obvious isn't it? We follow George Bush's example and declare war preemptively. A full nuclear strike now before things get out of hand.

It's obvious isn't it? We follow George Bush's example and declare war preemptively. A full nuclear strike now before things get out of hand.

Could have swore you were lost in obscurity Mare.... Maybe you should go back!!!!

However according to the tone set by Washington Post, Pakistan might not simply be beckoned to war with the taliban simply from International pressure. It's much easier to ignore a distant voice when you have insurgents breathing in your ear. If Pakistan is simply rolling over too then I agree that it is just a matter of time before the Taliban starts controling key military positions.

Honestly I just don't see the U.S. rallying much real pressure to place on Pakistan that they don;t already have... if they are letting taliban steam roll their cities,... Pakistan is nearly on its last leg.

Could have swore you were lost in obscurity Mare.... Maybe you should go back!!!!

However according to the tone set by Washington Post, Pakistan might not simply be beckoned to war with the taliban simply from International pressure. It's much easier to ignore a distant voice when you have insurgents breathing in your ear. If Pakistan is simply rolling over too then I agree that it is just a matter of time before the Taliban starts controling key military positions.

Honestly I just don't see the U.S. rallying much real pressure to place on Pakistan that they don;t already have... if they are letting taliban steam roll their cities,... Pakistan is nearly on its last leg.

Oh come on. I thought her post was hilarious!

That said, it's possible the government of Pakistan will become more and more open to outside help if the pressure keeps up. Perhaps we'll be invited in to help before too long here.

Of course, once the government of Pakistan collapses, there will be no longer any reason to stay out. We can march right in and mop the floor.

The worst possibility is allow the Taliban time to gain control over Pakistan's military assets. Then things will be far more sticky and risky.

Oh come on. I thought her post was hilarious!

That said, it's possible the government of Pakistan will become more and more open to outside help if the pressure keeps up. Perhaps we'll be invited in to help before too long here.

Of course, once the government of Pakistan collapses, there will be no longer any reason to stay out. We can march right in and mop the floor.

The worst possibility is allow the Taliban time to gain control over Pakistan's military assets. Then things will be far more sticky and risky.

Sorry I am falling short of finding humor lately in atypical "point the finger at the past " tactics without adding anything else of use to a conversation...

However I did find something interesting that might point to Pakistan refusing any outside international help due to suspicion of foreign governments aiding the insurgents in an attempt to de-stablize the area. If that is the case.. it most certainly will end up requiring the international community to step in once Pakistan starts losing key military installations.

http://www.radioaustralianews.net.au/stories/200903/2507643.htm?desktop
""I feel that this incident has humiliated the country and the whole nation. This has tarnished the prestige of Pakistan," he said.

Prime ministerial spokesman Rehman Malik went further, saying it had plunged Pakistan into a "state of war".

"The democracy of the country has been undermined. Pakistan is under continuous aggression and the foreigners have been targeted with the view to bring a bad name to the country, and I do not overrule a foreign hand in it," he said.

Now they could simply be talking about Afghanistan... But it just doesn't seem that way...

TIMERGARA: Security forces have taken full control of the Lower Dir district, the Interior Ministry said on Monday.

Troops killed 20 militants in a ground and air operation against Taliban in the troubled northwest on Monday, the military said.

‘Twenty militants were killed today by the Frontier Corps troops in Maidan area of Lower Dir,’ the military’s media wing said in a statement.

Paramilitary troops and helicopter gunships bombed suspected bases in Lower Dir for a second day running, a military official said.

Meanwhile, several thousand people began fleeing Lower Dir, residents said, a day after security forces launched an operation in the region after being attacked by Taliban militants. There were reports of fierce clashes from different parts of the district.

Helicopter gunships and artillery targeted militant hideouts in the villages of Lal Qala and Islam Qala.

The bodies of 26 militants were found in the battle zone late on Sunday, a military spokesman said. Independent casualty estimates were unavailable.

Sporadic artillery fire was heard overnight and on Monday morning and residents saw a helicopter circling the area.

The ISPR earlier said several militants, among them a ‘commander,’ had been killed in clashes in the Kala Daag area.

It said the operation had been launched at the request of the NWFP government and local tribal elders.

Militant spokesman Muslim Khan, meanwhile, threatened that the Taliban would carry out attacks in the entire Malakand region if the operation was not stopped.

He accused the government of violating the Swat peace agreement by launching the operation.

................. etc.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...begins-military-offensive-against-taliban--07

I woudn't press the panic button just yet, I think the Nuke's are safe for the moment. I Feel sorry for the poor ba$tards in Swat though, the Tallybunnies and apparently dishing our their version of Sharia like its going out of fashion at the moment; last fling before the Pakdef and the local folks take back their once picturesque region mebbe? Hopefully the fighting won't last to much longer...........

Commander FC Brigadier Amalzada Khatak while talking to Geo News said search operation is underway in the area and situation is completely controlled.

Anyways as usual when the Pak Army tangle with the Tallybunnies its the tribal peoples that get screwed which is a shame but that's what happens when ones caught in the middle.

I heard someone talking about finding Jesus, so I went to help look for Him. I found Him too, but He said that after what happened to Him last time that He wasn't coming back.

My suggestion was somewhat tongue-in-cheek since I know so many people on this site love ol' George and approve of his tough, manly approach to foreign policy. Sorry if I offended you.:)

I heard someone talking about finding Jesus, so I went to help look for Him. I found Him too, but He said that after what happened to Him last time that He wasn't coming back.

My suggestion was somewhat tongue-in-cheek since I know so many people on this site love ol' George and approve of his tough, manly approach to foreign policy. Sorry if I offended you.:)

Of course I found Jesus too. He said something about being ready for his return, cause he's going to fight the nations and slaughter his enemies. :D

Of course I found Jesus too. He said something about being ready for his return, cause he's going to fight the nations and slaughter his enemies. :D

Well, He must not be a Christian anymore then, because He said that the way to go was to turn the other cheek, return good for evil, and love one's enemies. This is one reason why I don't call myself a Christian--there's no Christ left in Christ-ianity. God is painted as a monstrous murderer and now Jesus is too. I'm just not schizophrenic enough to to encompass a perfect, all-loving Creator who murders His children by the millions and demands blood payment. Christianity is a religion that has become fear-based and I don't buy it.

Humans fight nations and slaughter their enemies, if God has to do that then He is unbelievably incompetent--and I don't buy that either.

Yeah.....be welcomed as Liberators & all that, huh??

:rolleyes:

Yeah.....be welcomed as Liberators & all that, huh??

:rolleyes:

That is irrelevant, what is relevant is proliferation. If Pakistan falls to the Taliban, you will have a cascade of proliferation in an attempt to secure a defense against a radical Taliban government that now holds the bomb. How do you figure India is going to feel about that? Or China? Here is a hint, they will not be pleased.

That is irrelevant, what is relevant is proliferation. If Pakistan falls to the Taliban, you will have a cascade of proliferation in an attempt to secure a defense against a radical Taliban government that now holds the bomb. How do you figure India is going to feel about that? Or China? Here is a hint, they will not be pleased.

Sounds like the newest version of the domino theory that got us into Vietnam. India and China already have atomic weapons, so who are we talking about?

Werbung:
Sounds like the newest version of the domino theory that got us into Vietnam. India and China already have atomic weapons, so who are we talking about?

Japan, South Korea, Iran (although they are doing it anyway). Egypt, Saudi Arabia. All of these nations have basically stated they are rethinking weapons programs in the face of diminishing credibility of the US extended deterrent.

The fall of Pakistan would be yet another death nail in our extended deterrent.

In fact, in regards to Egypt, their foreign minister openly states if "one more nation" (Iran) in the region goes nuclear, they will have to follow suit. Saudi Arabia has basically alluded to the fact that if Egypt does they will have no choice.

It is not that if the Taliban gets a bomb (in Pakistan) they will rush out to use it, what it will show to our allies who rely on our security assurances that we just might not come to their aid like we claim, and thus they will go out and get defense of their own, ie a weapon.

Additionally, having a weapon does not mean you will not fight a war. China and India are going to be very uneasy about Pakistan should the Taliban actually take over. India more so than now in my view, and China because they will have lost a big client state.

Back