Abominations

Coyote

This is a spinoff to keep from derailing this thread:

https://www.houseofpolitics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34919&posted=1#post34919

Fundamentalists insist that homosexuality if a terrible offense. The rationale appears to be because the Bible calls it an "abomination".

However, it also labels the eating of shellfish an abomination.

So....how is it that Christians can justify and cheerfully indulge in one abomination while decrying and excluding another?

Werbung:
Thank you Coyote, for making a new thread. I didn’t want to answer to the last thread, and keep mess up the topic.

I believe the Ten Commandments are still in effect today. But I do believe that most of the laws of Moses are not in effect, especially the punishments.

I break with most or all Christians. And I don’t know a Christian who would accept me as one. So don’t confuse me with a Christian, or think I am speaking for them because most Christians would find that offensive.

If the NT repeats OT laws, I consider it binding to today. And always if Jesus himself repeats it from the OT then I feel very strong that it’s meant for today. The only things in the NT I either reject or dismiss is when they directly contradict what the OT said or what Jesus himself said.

It looks to me like Jesus did not change the laws and commandments themselves but he did try to change our thinking on the punishment for breaking the law.

An example of him agreeing the act was wrong and the punishment valid but its possible to be more compassionate than they had been in the past. I notice that the act of Adultery is one of the Commandments of God but the punishment for the act is one of the laws of Moses.

John 8:2-12 (New International Version)
2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts; where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.
But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.
9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"
11 "No one, sir," she said.
"Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

Here in Romans it speaks of Homosexuality being wrong as it was said to be in the OT. I personally accept it as valid because it doesn’t contradict the OT. But I would say the punishment is not the same as it was in the OT. I don’t think the punishment for anything is the same as it was back then. It doesn’t make it right to do what ever act you want, you just don’t get stoned to death for doing it.

Romans 1:24-28 (New International Version)
24Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind; to do what ought not to be done.

The word abomination was used in other things besides shell fish or homosexuality, here is a vs. that says all the shepherds are an abomination to the Egyptians. Later bibles changed it to detestable or loathsome. So, I don’t think that God or the bible were picking on Homosexuals.
Genesis 46:34 (King James Version)
That ye shall say, Thy servants' trade hath been about cattle from our youth even until now, both we, and also our fathers: that ye may dwell in the land of Goshen; for every shepherd is an abomination unto the Egyptians.

Genesis 46:34 (New American Standard Version)
you shall say, 'Your servants have been keepers of livestock from our youth even until now, both we and our fathers,' that you may live in the land of Goshen; for every shepherd is loathsome to the Egyptians."

Genesis 46:34 (New International Version - UK)
34 you should answer, 'Your servants have tended livestock from our boyhood on, just as our fathers did.' Then you will be allowed to settle in the region of Goshen, for all shepherds are detestable to the Egyptians.

Must get some stuff done, I will add more later

Werbung:
This is a spinoff to keep from derailing this thread:

https://www.houseofpolitics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34919&posted=1#post34919

Fundamentalists insist that homosexuality if a terrible offense. The rationale appears to be because the Bible calls it an "abomination".

However, it also labels the eating of shellfish an abomination.

So....how is it that Christians can justify and cheerfully indulge in one abomination while decrying and excluding another?

Hypocrisy. Next question?

Back