America Without Political Parties

Bunz

Ill start this thread off with a quote from George Washington that was contained in his farewell address to the American people. It is notable that in the same address he was able to forshadow many themes(plenty negative).
From the 22nd paragraph....
The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries, which result, gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of Public Liberty.
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Washington's_Farewell_Address#1

Firstly, I think he is correct in the fact that two parties trading power is in itself a despotism. But this raises a bigger question...why is it we have two large parties controlling the government in the first place?

While the system that has evolved into modern times has changed in some ways, in others it is exactly what Washington spoke against. Surely the factionalization started centuries ago, and with the best of intentions for thier respective views, I dont see why it has such a deep seeded place in our government and lives. Still there is no place in the Constitution where it calls for political parties of any kind.

I would like to see an American political system where membership in a party means little in the overall election cycle. It might be able to play a role similar to other civic groups like the Lions, Rotary, Elks etc.

I see no reason whatsoever for ballots to have any party designation on it anywhere. The American people through its own complacency and through the actions of various parties have embedded themselves into a situation where I am not sure there will be a signifigant change in my life.

This is because even though the Government is supposed to be for, by and of the people. Instead it is for the party, by the fundraisers and of the special interest.

Werbung:
I think that it is a good idea to remove the party designation from the ballot. I think it would also be a good idea if we separated the election of the VP from the election of the President entirely. This business of the Presidential candidate selecting the VP is undemocratic.

Werbung:
Firstly, I think he is correct in the fact that two parties trading power is in itself a despotism. But this raises a bigger question...why is it we have two large parties controlling the government in the first place?

Good question. It seems to me that a lot of voters root for their party in the same way they root for their football team. Meanwhile, the two major parties play dirty politics to make the other team look bad, instead of trying to do what is best for the country.

Back