Anti-intellectualism inhibits learning

coberst

Anti-intellectualism inhibits learning

A large percentage (studies suggest over 90%) of the meaning we derive from communication, we derive from the non-verbal cues that the other person gives.

How does one communicate with an unseen audience that can be anybody in the world? In face-to-face communication there is so much information about the audience at hand that does not exist on the Internet.

Does one use language for the 12 year old, or the 18 year old, or the 25 year old, the educated, the non-educated? How to speak coherently to the 12 year old while not infuriating the 18 year old and how to mold an essay for the 30 year old without losing the 18 year old.

People who write books have editors to act as a third party who understands the material and understands the anticipated audience.

How do I, who have been studying the matter at hand for months and even years, know what words to provide a parenthetical definition that some may need but others may consider to be condescending?

Anti-intellectualism (opposing or hostile to intellectuals or to an intellectual view or approach) is so prevailing in the United States that almost every reader has a strong anti-intellectual bias that they are completely unconscious of. This anti-intellectual bias constantly inhibits their effort to read anything that smacks of being ‘intellectual’.

People might pay me money to lecture them on the proper way to swing a golf club but to lecture anyone on matters intellectual is pompous (excessively elevated or ornate—having or exhibiting self-importance).

Werbung:
If you look at republicans vs democrats as a percentage of the population, a higher percentage of those who vote republican are more educated than those who vote democrat. Not that it means anything. It is what one does with education that is more important than the education itself.

If by "education" you mean liberal arts rather than business and hard sciences, then you may be right but then in my view, a liberal arts education is almost as usefull as a colorful tattoo.

If you look at republicans vs democrats as a percentage of the population, a higher percentage of those who vote republican are more educated than those who vote democrat. Not that it means anything. It is what one does with education that is more important than the education itself.

If by "education" you mean liberal arts rather than business and hard sciences, then you may be right but then in my view, a liberal arts education is almost as usefull as a colorful tattoo.

No silly, I mean educated. Like for instance, how to roll a blunt, make a good martini. How to clip coupons. that kind of education.

Jeez, talk about sloooow.

Is this post an excellent example of anti-intellectualism?

The following is a comment one reader made:

I noticed this a lot with my daughter's high schools. She went through 3 ... and in two of them, it was incredibly cool to be stupid. There was a very strong bias against intellectuals. This carried over into our home life where she ridiculed her mother and me for being "smart." (Note: She is now 25 and barely making it on minimum wages).

Her junior year, we transferred her to one of the best schools in the region ... and suddenly it wasn't cool to be stupid anymore. She floundered horribly for 2 years, but never could quite make it work. Unfortunately, stupid had taken root.

The American culture is all about golf, sports, fashion, partying, and being cool and such. Not much room for intellect. Oh well I guess the Indians and Asians can take over from the USA as the center of technological achievement.

I believe it is not so much anti-intellectualism that is the problem. It is more of a maturity, or lack thereof, to see beyond one's own selfishishness to understand that if the community cannot thrive, then one's own Gesellschaft is placed in peril of survival or affording comfort.

Werbung:
Our vocabulary is our intellectual tool-box. The person with the largest vocabulary dies as the winner. Imagine the difference in what is discovered about reality for the individual with microscope, caliper, micrometer, plump-bob, and level in his intellectual tool-box versus he who has only a hammer, pliers, and yard-stick.

Back