Aunt Jemima Obama says "eat this good grub"

It is an honor to refer to Michelle Obama as first lady - it shows that a majority of this country has left issues like "race-bating" in the dustbin of history.

We aren't talking about the majority. We're talking about you using "Aunt Jemima" as a way to describe the First Lady.

It is an symbol of our progress as a nation with regard to race that we can joke about it, without anyone taking offense. There was a time when this kind of a joke would have been socially insulting. Our nation has left that era in the past.

That makes no sense at all. It's a sign of progress to indulge in race based humor? You cannot be serious. It's a sign of backwardness.

Because humor exists. Just like connecting G.W. Bush to a caricature that rides a wild and crazy horse - because Bush paraded himself as a cowboy. Aunt Jamima represented a figure who was a good cook - by the virtue that she was a stereotypical black maid of the first half of the 20th century.

Now, a half century later, we have a black first lady projecting an image of an expert on food.

That is a natural linkage to create a joke.

If you didn't find it funny, then we have different tastes in humor.

But if you think any woman who holds the position of first lady of the United States can somehow be demeaned because of her skin color, then it is you who have a warped perception of how I, and most of America, looks at the formerly divisive issue of race. Those times are past - get over it.

As I suspected-by "natural linkage", you mean that they are both black. Yes, there's nothing more sophisticated than than using a black woman in a domestic uniform to attack our first black First Lady. Very classy. :rolleyes:

Werbung:
As I suspected-by "natural linkage", you mean that they are both black. Yes, there's nothing more sophisticated than than using a black woman in a domestic uniform to attack our first black First Lady. Very classy. :rolleyes:

You suspected WRONG. Natural linkage means that anybody in the public arena if fair game for a joke. Because she is black, there is a linkage to black issues - that is what makes political caricature (in art) so funny. It is not funny if Obama is riding a horse. Do you think these cartoons are race-bating? I can find a hundred more if you want.

obama-oprah.jpg
923211.jpg

Hobo, the natural linkage is skin color. Aunt Jemima is a relic from a time when black women's job choices were almost exclusively limited to being domestics. Yes, the comparison is racist. I'm sorry that hurts your feelings, but somebody had to tell you.

Hobo, the natural linkage is skin color. Aunt Jemima is a relic from a time when black women's job choices were almost exclusively limited to being domestics. Yes, the comparison is racist. I'm sorry that hurts your feelings, but somebody had to tell you.
The natural linkage is FOOD + skin color. And nothing I said or implied anger, inferiority, hate, or any other "racist" emotion. Nor did it prompt that feeling in anybody else.

Get over it - the battle against racism has been fought, won, and put to bed in the history books thanks to efforts by my generation. If you want to fight against irrational hate against a culture, then look towards the attitude of many Americans against Islam.

The natural linkage is FOOD + skin color. And nothing I said or implied anger, inferiority, hate, or any other "racist" emotion. Nor did it prompt that feeling in anybody else.

Get over it - the battle against racism has been fought, won, and put to bed in the history books thanks to efforts by my generation. If you want to fight against irrational hate against a culture, then look towards the attitude of many Americans against Islam.

The linkage is skin color. A joke that hinges on skin color is a racist joke.

I agree with you that there is irrational hatred against Muslims in America.

But no, the battle against racism in America is not over. Not by a long shot.

The linkage is skin color. A joke that hinges on skin color is a racist joke.

I agree with you that there is irrational hatred against Muslims in America.

But no, the battle against racism in America is not over. Not by a long shot.

If you are a black person, and you are offended, I apologize for my post. No bigotry intended.

If you have any connection with Michelle Obama, please tell her the new nutrition poster is totally useless.

Werbung:
I'm not, but that's really nice of you to say.

The poster is from the USDA. It's her cause, but not her poster. The advantages are to place more emphasis on vegetables and less on grains, and to simplify the look. I needed the reminder-I'm too apt to eat sandwiches when I'm pressed for time. A single piece of lettuce and a tomato slice really isn't enough.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304392704576377524230358138.html

Back