Blu-ray pwns HD DVD?

kida

From Gearlog:

The new year hasn't exactly been kind to HD-DVD. Toshiba's next-generation format began 2008 with a pre-CES pull out by Warner Bros. Since then, things have gone from bad to worse, most recently with news that Netflix, BestBuy, and Wal-Mart have opted to go strictly with Sony's Blu-Ray when it comes to next generation discs.

Toshiba made things official this morning, by throwing in the hi-def towel, stating that they would no longer manufacture, develop, or market HD-DVD hardware. In the meantime, the company is set to reduce shipments of players and recorders, ceasing the wing of their business entirely by the end of next month.

However, the company insists that they will continue to provide support for those who have purchased their now discontinued hardware.
I'm kind of sad about this. I haven't bought either a Blu-ray or HD DVD player yet, but I was leaning toward HD DVD.

Werbung:
Honestly there is another format in the works that will be cheaper to produce and to make the players and can hold more than hd or Blue ray suppose to come out later this year... I almost bought the HD DVD addon for my Xbox 360 glad i didnt ;)

Is the speed that new technologies are being developed and marketed too fast for good business? HD DVD and Blu-ray have both been around for a while, but have only just recently started to become more popular. Now there's going to be a newer, better one? Are consumers going to be able to keep up?

yeah i was kinda upset about the the HD-DVD loss but I knucked up and bought another PS3 and ill fill my red side library up as the discs go on clearance

yeah i was kinda upset about the the HD-DVD loss but I knucked up and bought another PS3 and ill fill my red side library up as the discs go on clearance
I am considering picking up a PS3 but i already have a 360 and none of the PS3 games at this point really appeal to me that arent on 360... So i would only buy it for blueray..... which right now i can't justify... maybe soon enough.

I am considering picking up a PS3 but i already have a 360 and none of the PS3 games at this point really appeal to me that arent on 360... So i would only buy it for blueray..... which right now i can't justify... maybe soon enough.
i know the feeling ..... this is my second ps3 I got rid of the other last year cause it was a paperweight ..... now with the need for a blu-ray player there it sits again :cry:

Werbung:
Yep, the only reason I thought of buying a PS3 was to get the BluRay part of it along with one game that I do like playing on the PS3. Just couldn't bring myself to pay for it yet...

Back