Chicago bled dry by striking Teachers' Unions

Little-Acorn

Chicago's teachers already make more money than teachers in any other major city. But they're unhappy about it... so they're going on strike.

Recently the city of Chicago made an offer to its Teachers' Unions to increase their pay 16%.

It was rejected... because the package wasn't enough. So they're going on strike.

Chicago teachers pay only 3% of the cost of their medical benefits package. The City pays the rest. But the Teachers' Union says they won't pay any more... so they're going on strike.

Where's Scott Walker when you need him?

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/316395/chicago-bled-dry-striking-teachers-unions-john-fund#

Chicago Bled Dry by Striking Teachers’ Unions

by John Fund
September 10, 2012 9:16 A.M.

The smartest parents in Chicago right now are those whose kids attend charter schools, private schools, or parochial schools. Those institutions don’t employ Chicago’s unionized public-school teachers, who went out on strike this morning for the first time in 25 years.

The coverage of the strike has obscured some basic facts. The money has continued to pour into Chicago’s failing public schools in recent years. Chicago teachers have the highest average salary of any city at $76,000 a year before benefits. The average family in the city only earns $47,000 a year. Yet the teachers rejected a 16 percent salary increase over four years at a time when most families are not getting any raises or are looking for work.

The city is being bled dry by the exorbitant benefits packages negotiated by previous elected officials. Teachers pay only 3 percent of their health-care costs and out of every new dollar set aside for public education in Illinois in the last five years, a full 71 cents has gone to teacher retirement costs.

But beyond the dollars, the fact is that Chicago schools need a fundamental shakeup — which of course the union is resisting. It is calling for changes in the teacher-evaluation system it just negotiated by making student performance less important.

Small wonder. Just 15 percent of fourth graders are proficient in reading and only 56 percent of students who enter their freshman year of high school wind up graduating.

The showdown in Chicago will be a test of just how much clout the public-employee unions wield at a time when the budget pressures they’ve created threaten to break the budgets of America’s major cities.

Werbung:
I don't know how you get away with this. Sure doesn't make the site look very good.

If Illinois had a real governor, and Chicago had a real mayor, they would announce that the Chicago Public Schools were going to be sold off to private education firms and every public school employee was now out of a job.

If Illinois had a real governor, and Chicago had a real mayor, they would announce that the Chicago Public Schools were going to be sold off to private education firms and every public school employee was now out of a job.

I'm not sure they'll have many other options besides that. the city is broke and then some. I was surprised they tried coming up with what they offered.

Like when Reagan was Pres. and fired the air traffic controllers. Public sector employess have no business striking, or even having a union for that matter.

To the OP:

The article seems to be completely accurate and I am sure that the unions are being unreasonable. However, it would be more honest to say that the 16% pay increase is roughly 4% per year. Still good in this economy but not outlandish. It would also be better to actually present both sides of the argument. Just how much more money are the teachers being expected to pay for their health insurance? If a typical policy costs 15K and then are presently paying 3% then they are paying roughly $450 per year. I know my wife as a teacher out in the burbs pays more than that - we probably pay that much per month. But still, what if the teachers are being asked to move from paying 3% to 30% or 50%. I am sure they would strike over that. The article should have told us.

Of course since the teachers unions largely wanted obamacare then they should be happy with changes in health care.

From what I can tell the teachers want two things: they want teachers who work at schools that will be closed to be relocated rather than to lose their jobs, and they want student test scores to not be used in teacher evaluations. they obviously don't think that good teachers can get students to get better scores than bad teachers - and given the caliber of students in Chicago they have a point.

Sounds good to me.

Like when Reagan was Pres. and fired the air traffic controllers. Public sector employess have no business striking, or even having a union for that matter.

Any group at all should be allowed to freely associate with whomever they want to - that is a constitutional protection. What they should not have is laws that force employers to negotiate with the group rather than with the employees themselves. And this is true of both private and public unions.

Any group at all should be allowed to freely associate with whomever they want to - that is a constitutional protection. What they should not have is laws that force employers to negotiate with the group rather than with the employees themselves. And this is true of both private and public unions.

So what if the military decided to strike ? Is that okay with you too?

Limbaugh: Rahm Emanuel Manufactured Union Crisis So Obama Could Solve It

"Rush Limbaugh advanced a surprising hypothesis on his radio show today regarding the motivation behind the current teachers’ union protests plaguing the Chicago area. Specifically, Limbaugh argued, the union protests were being allowed to go on as long as they have so that they could become a manufactured crisis, allowing President Barack Obama to sweep in and look like the hero by negotiating an end to the standoff."

this wouldn't surprise me in the least

Republicans accuse Obama of giving Chicago teachers strike green light

Mitt Romney and his surrogates are accusing President Obama of quietly giving Chicago teachers the green-light to strike, as the historic standoff affecting nearly 400,000 students enters its second day.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...pace-by-staying-on-sidelines/?test=latestnews

It is believed that this is just another fabricated situation by Obama/Emanuel and company so Obama can swoop in and look like the hero by negotiating an end to the standoff as a successful campaign issue.

Once again, another example of playing politics above the need of the American people, in this case 400,000 school children.

Limbaugh: Rahm Emanuel Manufactured Union Crisis So Obama Could Solve It

"Rush Limbaugh advanced a surprising hypothesis on his radio show today regarding the motivation behind the current teachers’ union protests plaguing the Chicago area. Specifically, Limbaugh argued, the union protests were being allowed to go on as long as they have so that they could become a manufactured crisis, allowing President Barack Obama to sweep in and look like the hero by negotiating an end to the standoff."

this wouldn't surprise me in the least

Wouldn't me either...the whole thing is probably a set up. But, it is likely to backfire in BO's face. The American people see how radical the teachers unions and most of their membership are. They also see how well paid and ineffective they are at actually teaching children, while working only part time.

Werbung:
So what if the military decided to strike ? Is that okay with you too?
Any individual al all and I do mean any can associate with whomever they want to. What they should not do is have a law that allows them to force the employer to recognize their association as meaningful in any way that relates to their employment contract. The teachers can form a union but the school district should not have to negoatiate with it. Soldiers likewise should be able to form friendships and associations but that does not mean they can be allowed to shirk their duties.

Back