Clintons Sell Off Controversial Stock Portfolio

Truth-Bringer

Clintons sell off stock that could have proved a political time bomb

By Leonard Doyle in Washington
Published: 16 June 2007

Bill and Hillary Clinton have amassed a fortune worth between $5m (£3m) and $25m (£13m) since 1993, when they first entered the White House and put their investments in a blind trust.

Yesterday it was revealed that the Clintons sold off most of their investments last April fearing that they would become a political liability in the 2008 presidential race.

For a couple who have always publically stressed the value of public service over the money-grubbing private sector, the revelation that much of their wealth comes from arms, oil and pharmaceutical companies, will come as a shock to many Democratic activists.

The perception is that the Clintons have always sided with America's put-upon working man and woman over corporate interests. But thanks to their investments, books and Bill Clinton's speaking engagements, they are now part of America's wealthy elite.

They got there thanks to a portfolio of investments in the arms trade, Big Oil and Big Pharma, all high on the hate list of many Democratic voters. They made more money investing in Wal-Mart and Rupert Murdoch's News International - owner of Fox News- two bogies of the liberal activists.

With the race for the White House focused on the war in Iraq, health care, oil insecurity and rising petrol prices, the stock portfolio was a ticking political time bomb. A government directive this spring meant that Mrs Clinton had to dissolve the blind trust that was managing their wealth.

Rest of article here.

Werbung:
I might be disrespecting the complexity of the system here, but it's been fairly common knowledge that the Clintons have significant amounts of money for decades. The logical mind asks, "where did that come from?" The logical mind answers, "It sure as hell didn't come from public service."

I might be disrespecting the complexity of the system here, but it's been fairly common knowledge that the Clintons have significant amounts of money for decades. The logical mind asks, "where did that come from?" The logical mind answers, "It sure as hell didn't come from public service."

Hillary's family had some money. She was an attorney and her husband alone made over 10 million dollars in speaking fees last year. But if you want to see a real interesting story, one should look at how the Bush family made their money.

Hillary's family had some money. She was an attorney and her husband alone made over 10 million dollars in speaking fees last year. But if you want to see a real interesting story, one should look at how the Bush family made their money.

I'm pretty sure everyone's heard that story at this point. I tried watching Fahrenheit 9/11 but...well, it was pretty disjointed, and then that scene where Moore just sat there filming a mother crying over her dead son for about ten minutes straight was disgusting. I mean, I understand the point that he was trying to get across, but in my opinion Mr. Moore crossed the line between making a point and overdoing a point with that one scene.

A pity, too, because I enjoyed greatly his previous work, in particular the book Stupid White Men and Other Excuses.

I'm pretty sure everyone's heard that story at this point. I tried watching Fahrenheit 9/11 but...well, it was pretty disjointed, and then that scene where Moore just sat there filming a mother crying over her dead son for about ten minutes straight was disgusting. I mean, I understand the point that he was trying to get across, but in my opinion Mr. Moore crossed the line between making a point and overdoing a point with that one scene.

A pity, too, because I enjoyed greatly his previous work, in particular the book Stupid White Men and Other Excuses.

I already knew the few facts Mr. Moore was trying to emphasis long before I saw that movie. He is about entertainment, just as is our so-called news media. If he opens a few clueless eyes by embellishing matters, it's better than keeping the viewer ignorant to what's going on.

Werbung:
When did the Clintons ever suggest they were not capitalists? The author is whacked.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF... the Clintons are capitalists. They understand big business. How by any stretch of anyone's imagination does that mean one can't earn a good living and also care deeply about, work hard doing and do a great job in public service?:confused: And besides that I thought the argument from the pubbies always is that the DEMS are anti-business???

I think it's already been said both Bill & Hillary Clinton were top tier attorneys which dramatically helped them in their public service careers. And now groups all over the world pay a lot of money to hear what former PRESIDENT Bill Clinton has to say. Then they invest that money somewhere. Don't see any problem with any of this at all.

Selling off these assets was specifically done to eliminate any question regarding preferential treatment or conflict of interest as Ms. Clinton may become our next president. Again I agree this is a smart and proper thing to do.

If having money in America is now a bad thing please message me the next time a pauper gets elected president...

Back