Congressman Kanjorski admits the Democrats Over-Promised on Iraq

Pandora

Congressman Kanjorski Democrat from PA admits Dems “stretched the facts” about stopping the war to get elected.

“Now anybody was a good student of Government,” said Kanjorski, “would know that wasn’t true [that they “could stop the war”].” Fortunately for those Democrats who campaigned, and were elected, based on their war-ending promises, their hardcore supporters, their activists, and their base of voters, are all made up of people who are, by Mr. Kanjorski’s reckoning, very, very poor students of Government.

But all of that was justified to these incumbents and first-time candidates. Taking advantage of poor, uneducated rubes? Abusing trust, and leaving those who offered it stranded along the way? All acceptable — because, again by Mr. Kanjorski’s own description, of “the temptation to want to win back the Congress.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc5lHXkrdQ8

Does this make anyone mad?

Werbung:
of course they COULD stop the war, by not voting for funding. but then their opponents would attack them as "not supporting the troops," and they would lose their re-election bids. better for them to wait until we have a democratic president who feels the same way about iraq policy, and troop withdrawal doesn't have to be forced by the legislature.

Does this make anyone mad?

I'll tell you what makes me mad the 4083 confirmed American deaths, 3944 since the declaration of 'Mission Accomplished', 3622 since the capture of Saddam, with an estimated 100,000 American wounded. All brought about your Republican president in a war of choice based on a lie. That's what makes me mad.

http://www.antiwar.com/casualties/

of course they COULD stop the war, by not voting for funding. but then their opponents would attack them as "not supporting the troops," and they would lose their re-election bids. better for them to wait until we have a democratic president who feels the same way about iraq policy, and troop withdrawal doesn't have to be forced by the legislature.

But the people who elected them would know why they voted no on supporting the troops and they would know that is what it took to stop the war, those same people would re elect them for doing what they were sent there to do. al least it seems.

I'll tell you what makes me mad the 4083 confirmed American deaths, 3944 since the declaration of 'Mission Accomplished', 3622 since the capture of Saddam, with an estimated 100,000 American wounded. All brought about your Republican president in a war of choice based on a lie. That's what makes me mad.

http://www.antiwar.com/casualties/

I can see how our Men and Women dying would make anyone mad, but I admit I am a little shocked that you are not offended by the admitting they Over-Promised and “stretched the facts” I dont care what party they are from it bugs me.

But the people who elected them would know why they voted no on supporting the troops and they would know that is what it took to stop the war, those same people would re elect them for doing what they were sent there to do. al least it seems.

no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the american public.- hl mencken

I can see how our Men and Women dying would make anyone mad, but I admit I am a little shocked that you are not offended by the admitting they Over-Promised and “stretched the facts” I dont care what party they are from it bugs me.

It's called politics. What's even more interesting is your apparent failure to be offended in even the slightest at your Republican president being responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans not to mention hundreds of thousands of civilians. All in war based on a lie. Find those WMDs yet?

hl mencken was a famous american writer and satirist.

and "american public" accounts for subsets thereof just as well. most democratic voters are stupid, most (i would argue, more :D ) republican voters are stupid, it's just a fact. no one is politically informed.

one issue at work here is single-issue voting. i vote for democrats (mostly) because they represent my overall interests (in terms of the war, the economy, social issues like abortion, etc.)-- if all those people elected all those democrats based solely on the war, the joke's on them anyway.

It's called politics. What's even more interesting is your apparent failure to be offended in even the slightest at your Republican president being responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans not to mention hundreds of thousands of civilians. All in war based on a lie. Find those WMDs yet?

Of course I am offended at the deaths. All of them. I usually avoid the topic of the Iraq war. My feelings are very mixed on the issue. I was not posting this to start a war debate. I would be flip flopping all over the board and I know it. I posted it because politicians are sneaky snakes and I wanted to know if anyone else besides me was offended by that.

My Republican president? I am a registered democrat who voted for Pat Buchanan in the first Bush election and yeah.. I voted for Bush in the second but ONLY because I really disliked Kerry (Almost as much as I dislike Obama).

i don't see how it's possible to like obama less than kerry... kerry is about as charismatic as a log.

hl mencken was a famous american writer and satirist.

and "american public" accounts for subsets thereof just as well. most democratic voters are stupid, most (i would argue, more :D ) republican voters are stupid, it's just a fact. no one is politically informed.

one issue at work here is single-issue voting. i vote for democrats (mostly) because they represent my overall interests (in terms of the war, the economy, social issues like abortion, etc.)-- if all those people elected all those democrats based solely on the war, the joke's on them anyway.

If you are looking at it that way, then I guess it is not a total loss. I mean not single issue voting. The ones elected would probably line up with your thinking on many other issues. That is a good way to see it.

I think the most informed kind of voter is the one who is willing to talk to people with totally opposite political ideas. If you only spend political time talking to people who already agree with you, you can not learn much new or see other sides and points of views. But I don't want to believe voters are stupid.

PS thank you for the info on hl mencken, I will look him up

I think the most informed kind of voter is the one who is willing to talk to people with totally opposite political ideas. If you only spend political time talking to people who already agree with you, you can not learn much new or see other sides and points of views. But I don't want to believe voters are stupid.

i definitely agree, that's what i'm doing here. (talking to/yelling at) (people/walls) like libsmasher gives me an excuse to research and learn even more about my candidate and the opposition-- BEYOND the research i did initially about who to support.

Of course I am offended at the deaths. All of them. I usually avoid the topic of the Iraq war. My feelings are very mixed on the issue. I was not posting this to start a war debate. I would be flip flopping all over the board and I know it. I posted it because politicians are sneaky snakes and I wanted to know if anyone else besides me was offended by that.

My Republican president? I am a registered democrat who voted for Pat Buchanan in the first Bush election and yeah.. I voted for Bush in the second but ONLY because I really disliked Kerry (Almost as much as I dislike Obama).

I notice the way you singled out a Democrat to illustrate how "politicians are sneaky snakes." I would submit that both parties have their share of the aforementioned. However, there is only one Republican president responsible for the deaths of thousands and the wasting of billions of dollars in a war built on a false premise.

How can you remain a registered Democrat yet vote for Buchanan and Bush? Don't you think it would be in your best interests to change your party registration? I mean, it's obvious you have completely given yourself over to the dark side.

Werbung:
i don't see how it's possible to like obama less than kerry... kerry is about as charismatic as a log.

I would like a thread on that. I was not in political forums when Kerry was running. I talked a great deal to the many many many many liberal democrats in my area about him but never online. And I never got much if any answer to my arguments.

If someone does not like something about Obama, the first thing people usually do is call you a racist. What did people call you when Kerry was running, and people did not like things about him? I wish I could find a forum from back then and read what the argument was.

I agree with what you say about Kerry being as charismatic as a log, and I would go further to say that Obama is probably the most charismatic person I can think of. I like that about him. I also like how he can pull you into his stories. On Super Tuesday his speech made me cry. He was remembering back to his life with his single mom, hardly making it. I am a single mom and things have been really hard for us sometimes. At that moment I related to him completely.

I just don’t like his politics:eek:

Back