Cults

At this moment it does not matter what is the best interpretation.

What matters is that there is an orthodox interpretation and that a branch of the Mormon church is a cult theologically because they have a different interpretation.

Do you think the Mormon church is a cult because they think God was once a man and man can eventually become a God?

I always have thought that any group claiming Christianity yet not accepting the Holy Trinity was defined as a cult. Mormons, Jehovah’s witnesses and a number of other groups fit this.

I never looked up what makes a group who claims to be Christian a cult, I just assumed it was denial that Jesus is God in the flesh and a basic non acceptance to the Trinity since they all seemed to have that in common.

Werbung:
Do you think the Mormon church is a cult because they think God was once a man and man can eventually become a God?

I always have thought that any group claiming Christianity yet not accepting the Holy Trinity was defined as a cult. Mormons, Jehovah’s witnesses and a number of other groups fit this.

I never looked up what makes a group who claims to be Christian a cult, I just assumed it was denial that Jesus is God in the flesh and a basic non acceptance to the Trinity since they all seemed to have that in common.

In the theological definition differing on any of the core christian beliefs could justify the use of the term cult.

But clearly there are a few themes that prop up often.

It is different from other Christian denominations, sure. If it weren't why have a separate church?

There are a number of different Baptist churches too, some sing slow music some fast, some focus more on charity others on helping drug and alcohol addicted people, some pregnant teens but they are all Baptists and embrace their brothers and sisters from other churches. Pentecostals and Presbyterians, Lutherans and even Catholics are their brothers and sisters in Christ. But none of those denominations would call a Mormon or Jehovah witness a brother or sister in Christ, they would call them cults.

There are a number of different Baptist churches too, some sing slow music some fast, some focus more on charity others on helping drug and alcohol addicted people, some pregnant teens but they are all Baptists and embrace their brothers and sisters from other churches. Pentecostals and Presbyterians, Lutherans and even Catholics are their brothers and sisters in Christ. But none of those denominations would call a Mormon or Jehovah witness a brother or sister in Christ, they would call them cults.

The Jehovah witness would not call himself a brother either. They completely recognize that what they believe is so different and that their idea of God is so different that they are in fact praying to a different God. This is why they will refuse to pray with you if asked. This is an honest approach full of integrity.

and yet the Mormons consider the Baptists, Catholics, Presbyterians, Hindus, Muslims, agnostics, and everyone else brothers. They believe that all mankind are children of god, and therefore brothers and sisters of everyone else.

Further, they do not believe that those who have different beliefs from themselves will be condemned by god for their lack of belief.

What do the Baptists believe about non Christians?

and yet the Mormons consider the Baptists, Catholics, Presbyterians, Hindus, Muslims, agnostics, and everyone else brothers. They believe that all mankind are children of god, and therefore brothers and sisters of everyone else.

Further, they do not believe that those who have different beliefs from themselves will be condemned by god for their lack of belief.

What do the Baptists believe about non Christians?

Actually yes they do believe that other faiths are not saved the same as they are saved. You get some lower version of heaven if you get heaven at all, that is why they baptize the dead. Not dead Mormons who are already baptized according to what they believe but dead Catholics, Baptists, Hindus and Muslims exc.
A non-Mormon will never see the heaven that Mormons believe they go to, they will never be Gods of their own planets, only Mormons in good standing will ever get this because they believe only Mormons that follow the church teachings are correct.

The Jehovah witness would not call himself a brother either. They completely recognize that what they believe is so different and that their idea of God is so different that they are in fact praying to a different God. This is why they will refuse to pray with you if asked. This is an honest approach full of integrity.

That is true and I was thinking about that as I typed my post but was too lazy to add what you did, thank you for adding it :)

Actually yes they do believe that other faiths are not saved the same as they are saved. You get some lower version of heaven if you get heaven at all, that is why they baptize the dead. Not dead Mormons who are already baptized according to what they believe but dead Catholics, Baptists, Hindus and Muslims exc.
A non-Mormon will never see the heaven that Mormons believe they go to, they will never be Gods of their own planets, only Mormons in good standing will ever get this because they believe only Mormons that follow the church teachings are correct.

They do believe that we have to accept Christ at some point, but that acceptance can take place after this life. Everyone can become gods, even those who are atheists in this life and those who never heard of Christ.

It should be pretty easy to accept Christ in the next life, if we can see him for ourselves, don't you think?

Meanwhile, the Baptists believe that you have to accept Christ in this life, or you're toast.

That's pretty tough for those who lived in Communist China back before the end of Mao.

They do believe that we have to accept Christ at some point, but that acceptance can take place after this life. Everyone can become gods, even those who are atheists in this life and those who never heard of Christ.

It should be pretty easy to accept Christ in the next life, if we can see him for ourselves, don't you think?

Meanwhile, the Baptists believe that you have to accept Christ in this life, or you're toast.

That's pretty tough for those who lived in Communist China back before the end of Mao.

Can you show me where you read, learned or heard that everyone can become Gods please? In my studies of LDS though I admit it’s been over ten years since I did a very long study on the faith I only came across information saying that only certain people could obtain Godhood and part of that was being in good standing with the temple. If you have been taught or learned something different I would like to read about it.

Can you show me where you read, learned or heard that everyone can become Gods please? In my studies of LDS though I admit it’s been over ten years since I did a very long study on the faith I only came across information saying that only certain people could obtain Godhood and part of that was being in good standing with the temple. If you have been taught or learned something different I would like to read about it.

Anyone can become in good standing, if not in this life, but in the next. That's why they have baptisms for the dead, and eternal marriages for hte dead. Mormons believe in eternal progression, i.e., we never stop getting better, learning, being more perfect. Even on attaining godhood, we still progress by creating worlds where our children can experience mortal life.

"As you are now, I once was. As I am now, you may one day become" I can't remember exactly where that promise came from, but it is a part of Mormon doctrine.

Anyone can become in good standing, if not in this life, but in the next. That's why they have baptisms for the dead, and eternal marriages for hte dead. Mormons believe in eternal progression, i.e., we never stop getting better, learning, being more perfect. Even on attaining godhood, we still progress by creating worlds where our children can experience mortal life.

"As you are now, I once was. As I am now, you may one day become" I can't remember exactly where that promise came from, but it is a part of Mormon doctrine.

Brigham Young said it

As God was once man, man can become a God

Not exact wording but pretty close.

Where did you learn or read that anyone can become a God? I spent almost 3 years studying Mormonism and never read or was taught that anyone can become a God but that only certain people can. Can you direct me to where you learned this?

Brigham Young said it

As God was once man, man can become a God

Not exact wording but pretty close.

Where did you learn or read that anyone can become a God? I spent almost 3 years studying Mormonism and never read or was taught that anyone can become a God but that only certain people can. Can you direct me to where you learned this?

Anyone can. Most won't. It's like saying that anyone can become a millionaire, knowing that most people never will.

I'm not sure just where that came from. I'll see what I can find.

Werbung:
Anyone can. Most won't. It's like saying that anyone can become a millionaire, knowing that most people never will.

I'm not sure just where that came from. I'll see what I can find.

OK great, I would like to read it.

My first thought on how anyone can be saved and be a God of your own planet even if you dont figure it out in this life is ... why would anyone bother to in this life if you could wait till later?

Back