Dalai Lama warns against demonizing Muslims

l99999us

I am happy that he is taking a stance in favor of tolerence. It makes far more sense to try and find common ground rather then just demonizing others.

NEW DELHI (AFP) - The Dalai Lama, Tibet's exiled spiritual leader, has warned against portraying Islam as a religion of violence, saying Muslims have been wrongly demonized in the West since the September 11 attacks.

Promoting religious tolerance, the world's most influential Buddhist leader said Sunday that talk of "a clash of civilisations between the West and Muslim world is wrong and dangerous."

Muslim terrorist attacks have distorted people's views of Islam, making them believe it is an extremist faith rather than one based on compassion, the Dalai Lama told a press conference in the Indian capital.

For full article see http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061009/en_afp/indiareligiondalai_061009062605

Werbung:
I think we'd all like to practice religious tolerance, understanding, and cooperation. I also think it is grossly unfair that Muslims are painted as violent simply because a certain few of their number choose acts of terrorism. However, with our gigantic media machine, and with Muslims being the ones blowing things up, it's going to be hard for the world to join hands any time soon and sing a campfire song.

That's the media for you. Hell, look at the many extremist cultures that have been bred in America. Who can forget those obviously simple minded Christians who server God, and slander gays. (ala Westboro Baptist Church)

Pretty much anything His Holiness has to say is good with me.

Buddhism is the fasting growing "religion" in the world, and it's a good thing. It's what I practice. The world would be a much kinder place for everyone if more people believed in karma.

Pretty much anything His Holiness has to say is good with me.

Buddhism is the fasting growing "religion" in the world, and it's a good thing. It's what I practice. The world would be a much kinder place for everyone if more people believed in karma.

totally agree, I read as much as i can find on Buddhism as i really enjoy the beliefs and philosophy behind it. It helps me find a nice peace i haven't found inside a religion.

Mmmyeah...maybe. As you're probably aware the value of buddhism (as it would be in most "religions"/religions) is in the philosophy and outlook. I raise this because just about every problem related to religion can be traced (assuming certain things about the general doctrine of religion) to misinterpretation of its methodology. For one, the Christians who judge those not of their religion or of the heterosexual orientation, and the Moslems who invoke jihad are all, in my opinion, simply completely missing the point as one of the fundamental purposes of religion is to discourage egocentrism, and in passing judgment, this is precisely what they are doing. More importantly, a general trend seen with religion is its use as the simple salve of a conscience: you do a ritual and buy yourself peace with "good deeds", which can be rather counterproductive for the same reason as cited before. Thus the world might be a much kinder place for everyone if people believed in karma...but only insofar as they managed to avoid using the concept for their own self-righteous purposes. Awareness to me is central to developing the focus as a means to a rightful life.

I cant disagree with your general statement about religion Dong and that's why i enjoy a philosophy on how to create a spiritual awareness in my daily life over a doctrine of rites i must follow.

I believe him to be a good hearted man with a lot of intelligent advice for people as a whole. There are many religious leaders who give some very insightful advice, which is what they should be doing. Then, I hear form some of them and practically feel sick, those that preach hate and go around judging everyone.

I have come to a point in my life where I hold complete disregard for any organized religion. My faith and spirituality is private. I try to live it but not preach it.

I have come to a point in my life where I hold complete disregard for any organized religion. My faith and spirituality is private. I try to live it but not preach it.

There is a major difference between religions such as Catholicism and Buddhism. Buddhism is more a philosophy, or a moral guideline. It is not doom and gloom. You can choose to follow it, and live in peace. Buddha was 'enlightened', he used the power of the human body, for epic sacrifices and undertakings. For a person who does seek spiritual guidance because of a flaw in their character, religion is ESSENTIAL. I have a friend who was once an athiest, and was constantly depressed and 'lost', he then tried out Buddhism, and from then on was one of the more energetic and peaceful people I knew. Perhaps you, nor I, need religion to cope, but some people do. And I feel that other religions all but damage the perception of faith and peace, and instill a much more organized tyranny, or fascism. Buddhism is the opposite. You don't have to pay 10% of your salary, nor do you have to subject your children to something they don't want to do. Buddhism is much more scholastic than other religions.

Another glib paradigm to tack onto the end of George's exposition: Buddhism at its core promotes awareness. From this, everything else follows. Rituals, however, seem to suppress this awareness in trying to substitute actions for principles.

I'm moving rapidly towards dismissing sanctity as a political force. Most people don't know how to use it appropriately.

Werbung:
Back