Does anyone even care?

PLC1

Staff member
The Melting Point

THE most striking thing about the drive out of El Calafate on the way to the Patagonian glaciers is the trash. Sheer, flimsy, white plastic bags, tens of thousands of them, are strewn across acres of land. The harsh wind has blown them in curtains up against the chain-link fences around construction sites; thousands have been tilled into the mud of wide tire tracks; thousands more, tattered by sharp nettles, festoon the low, clumping bushes that cover the landscape.

The ancient, mythic language we use to describe the effects of climate is distorting, but hard to resist. We should know better, but we still refer to Mother Earth and her fury at our polluting ways, unleashing hurricanes, hurling tornadoes into strange places, punishing us with heat waves. We can’t seem to get past putting ourselves at the center of everything. Gazing at the glacier, I feel as if I am in the presence of a dying beast. But it isn’t the glacier that is dying.

At the signal to get back on board we are reminded to leave nothing behind. I linger a bit, trying to steal a quiet moment in front of the glacier. I cannot seem to feel, in a deep way, the awe I know this spectacle deserves, a response more profound than the simple excitement that makes us reach for our cameras — closer perhaps, to a state of grace and wonder, the feeling of being in the presence of something holy. I cannot push aside the clamor of our journey or the mess of my companions. How can we expect anyone to care about melting glaciers in the abstract, in news articles and scientific papers, when even in the face of their stupendous presence we remain careless? Along the path grow exquisite, miniature Alpine flowers in every imaginable color, so tiny you could easily miss them. Among the delicate blossoms are bits of foil, trash, cigarette butts, broken glass and plastic water bottle caps. We can’t seem to help ourselves.

We humans reap what we sow. There is little chance that we will make any real consequential changes to our way of treating this delicate blue and green world on which we all depend.

OK, class, that's it. Resume pointing fingers, running in circles, and denying plain facts.

Werbung:
OK Ill put aside getting into a global warming thing here for the time being.

A. There is nothing that bothers me more than going for a wilderness experience and coming accross someone else's trash. That being said, by nature of where I live, I can ensure that experience by going to places that havent been explored, or at least have zero development.
But when people participate in vacations that involve tours and being told when you need to no longer visit a natural wonder, why bother?

I see this all the time, the elderly tourists I can somewhat understand. But if you are under 65, please make the most of your trip and avoid tours.

Yup

OK Ill put aside getting into a global warming thing here for the time being.

A. There is nothing that bothers me more than going for a wilderness experience and coming accross someone else's trash. That being said, by nature of where I live, I can ensure that experience by going to places that havent been explored, or at least have zero development.
But when people participate in vacations that involve tours and being told when you need to no longer visit a natural wonder, why bother?
Nothing more irritating than walking on a nice hiking trail, and seeing a plastic water bottle lying on the ground.

I see this all the time, the elderly tourists I can somewhat understand. But if you are under 65, please make the most of your trip and avoid tours.

That goes to show you don't know much about us old geezers.:)

What I find difficult to understand is how anyone cannot be concerned about the environment. Is it not in our own self-interest to see that we do not pollute the air and water - the very elements upon which all life depends - and preserve the land and sea that provides for our existence? Can there be anything more important? And, what about the future? - Can we be so selfish as not to be concerned about the quality of life of our own children and grandchildren? What will be their inheritance? Will they see us as good stewards of that which we only hold in trust? - Or will they curse us for wasting their birthright? Can we be so short-sighted as not to foresee the consequences of our actions - or so callous as not to care? Apparently so.

What I find difficult to understand is how anyone cannot be concerned about the environment. Is it not in our own self-interest to see that we do not pollute the air and water - the very elements upon which all life depends - and preserve the land and sea that provides for our existence? Can there be anything more important? And, what about the future? - Can we be so selfish as not to be concerned about the quality of life of our own children and grandchildren? What will be their inheritance? Will they see us as good stewards of that which we only hold in trust? - Or will they curse us for wasting their birthright? Can we be so short-sighted as not to foresee the consequences of our actions - or so callous as not to care? Apparently so.

Well see.. the logic is quite simple (and LOGICAL) since global warming is a sham, we can do whatever we want without regard, since global warming is the only problem the earth faces from our pollution...

Well see.. the logic is quite simple (and LOGICAL) since global warming is a sham, we can do whatever we want without regard, since global warming is the only problem the earth faces from our pollution...

Yes, very logical. If there's a problem you don't want to address, simply pretend it doesn't exist and it might just go away. Simple.

I wonder if the high gasoline prices will cut down on the air pollution. I've noticed there are not as many cars going down my street lately. We could hear drag racing on State Line at night on weekends, but none now. Guess kids can't afford the gas anymore because anytime you hit the passing gear . . . buh bye $5.00!
car-smiley-003.gif

[We humans reap what we sow. There is little chance that we will make any real consequential changes to our way of treating this delicate blue and green world on which we all depend.

OK, class, that's it. Resume pointing fingers, running in circles, and denying plain facts.

People as a group won't read the handwriting on the wall until their backs are against it. I don't know how to wake them from their drugged sleep.

Of course we can, look around you. Billions for idiotic wars, a pittance for finding solutions to our problems.

Global Warming is a hoax

I don't have the time to get into it right now, but I can link you a good vid that will do much explaining http://www.livevideo.com/video/UKUF...55B21056C/the-great-global-warming-swind.aspx

RON PAUL REVOLUTION

~PEACE~

Oh, yes, what a great vid.

Why listen to those old geeky scientists with all their PhDs, when you can listen to a neat video instead?

Conclusions, as explained by scientists in actual, peer reviewed works are as follows:

The average temperature of the Earth is warming. That warming is causing climate changes.

We don't fully understand just what those changes might bring, but we can make some educated guesses and gather data to see how good our guesses are.

It is extremely likely that human activities are accelerating those changes.

Hype on one side (all wrong, we hope):

It's a man made disaster and will bring about devastation unless we quit burning fossil fuels.

Hype on the other side (we know for sure):

It is simply a hoax and a myth.

I'll go with the scientists, despite their nerdiness.

Werbung:
Back