Does you family disagree....

Libsmasher

....about politics? Believe it or not, my uncle was one of the talk show hosts on Air America (before they downsized). On the rare times I see him, we studiously avoid any political discussion. The rest of my family has a wide range of political views.

Werbung:
....about politics? Believe it or not, my uncle was one of the talk show hosts on Air America (before they downsized). On the rare times I see him, we studiously avoid any political discussion. The rest of my family has a wide range of political views.

I think you have that in many if not most families these days. Between hot button issues like abortion & guns and economic opinions that are often grounded in ones own personal status at the time it happens a lot.

My only brother (only sibling) and his wife are very well off. I'm talking video & intercom at remote controlled gate, heated driveway, private home on the river well off. They are in Real Estate, he also has an executive job. He's an almost always steady Republican (although for the first time I do see some serious wavering). He's in the bracket that definitely gets hit if taxes go up and he wants to keep as much money as possible. It's understandable.

Our folks are also very well off but into retirement. Mom was an upscale Real Estate Agent, Step Dad a Civil Engineer. They have went from almost always Republican to solid Democrat ever since President Clinton's first term.

Rest of my family pretty much 50/50% Lib to Con with it being pretty much generational. The younger (now middle aged) families tend to be more Liberal. All really pretty much in the middle though.

Wife is a solid Progressive, a big recycler, would buy a Prius if I wasn't around. She's always been that way. Her sister is a former president of a Midwestern state's NOW (National Organization of Women) chapter.

The majority of the rest of her family would probably call themselves moderate Conservatives. There's a couple Liberal families in there and a couple that lean a little Holy Roller (IMO :D).

Makes for interesting family reunions huh!
:)

My family all agrees on religion and politics. I used to also at least on politics, but never religion.

now I am the official black sheep. I like it that way :)

My father is pretty right wing, and I'm pretty left wing, but it goes full circle and we end up agreeing on the basics like smaller government.

You might say that...my wife and I are libertarian. My sister is a Communist (complete with hammer & sickle tattoo). The result can be...messy.

On some things, I would say my family has had a fair amount of influence in my political views, but I come from somewhat of an interesting background. My paternal Grandfather was raised among the worst of the depression and is still to this day a FDR Democrat. I also have an Uncle who is a retired Air Force Colonel, 3 combat tour veteran of Vietnam riding in the back seat of an F-4. He was and still is very fond of JFK, but ended up serving on AF1 during the Reagan first term and to this day has pictures of himself and Reagan hanging prominently in his home.
My father and I generally agree. Both of us moderate Dems, but at the same time we tend to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Mostly on Alaskan issues, especially the two competing gas pipeline proposals, and we disagree sharply to the point where we dont talk about the proposed Pebble Mine.
My Mom and Sister and generally apolitical. My niece though is a Pebble Rebel and likes "Abamo" as she pronounces it.

Werbung:
My father is pretty right wing, and I'm pretty left wing, but it goes full circle and we end up agreeing on the basics like smaller government.

That reminds me of the first time I could vote - I voted republican. Dad, an old union man, said "so you're going with the republicans" in the same tone one would say "so you're going over to the enemy." :D

One thing I'll admit here that is a heritage of my lower socio-economic class background. I'm a full-fledged conservative now, but to this day I JUST CAN'T cross picket lines. They had a grocery store strike about five years ago in California, and I had to drive five times as far to go to the only non-picketed store. :) Anyone from a working class family will understand this.

Back